Motoring Discussion > Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 83

Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Falkirk Bairn
tinyurl.com/n9bn26z

This will need more than "Chips Away" and the dentman to sort this one out
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Baz
Oh dear, I'm sure the nice Insurance gentleman will sort. Still looks driveable to me though. Why anyone would want a Ferrari in central London is beyond me, 100% ego I guess!
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - No FM2R
>>100% ego I guess!

If you can afford it, and you want it, why not? Where does the ego come in?
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Boxsterboy
>> >>100% ego I guess!
>>
>> If you can afford it, and you want it, why not?
>>

Because it's not exactly the most practical car for nipping around town?
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Because it's not exactly the most practical car for nipping around town?
>>
Getting round London in one of those must require a taxi drivers road knowledge to avoid all the speed humps.
>>Because it's not exactly the most practical car for nipping around town?

No, it certainly isn't. But I'm a boy, and the last thing I consider when I want a toy is its practicality.

Mind you, I had a Ferrari; I promised myself I would treat myself if I ever returned to the UK. I did, so I did, and I hated it - with a vengeance. But, each to their own.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Focusless
>> Mind you, I had a Ferrari; I promised myself I would treat myself if I
>> ever returned to the UK. I did, so I did, and I hated it -
>> with a vengeance.

Do tell NF - which model? What was it that was so bad?
Noisy, uncomfortable, no space for "stuff", couldn't just leave it unattended, other road users are by and large unpleasant, ridiculous servicing costs/regime, plummeting value if you actually go anywhere in it, *really* hard to drive in slow moving traffic, not really comfortable enough for a long journey etc. etc. etc.

Just a stressful experience.

I think the problem really was that it was at the edge of what I could afford, or at least was willing [allowed] to spend. I think if it had been more comfortably within my price range then I would have coped better and worried less. Equally I would have perhaps had lower expectations or hopes.

I changed to an AMG Merc and was soooo much happier.
Thanks - cross that one off the list then... :)

(Which model was it?)
96 (I think) F355.
Wow en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ferrari_F355_Coup%C3%A9.jpg

I thought they were supposed to have become almost practical by then, but I guess it's all relative. Someone had an older model at a previous work, and IIRC his complaint was that the battery was hidden behind a front wheel arch.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Zero
I couldn't get that car anywhere. Its so low that it wouldn't get off my drive, or make it past the first set of speed humps.
Or manage to get into a car park / petrol station which goes over a path. Or get it up any slope which goes from flat to incline suddenly. Or room to carry a brief case, gym bag, umbrella, phone, wallet or anything else, or handle to pull yourself out or lower yourself in (making me weep when you grab the top of the window), etc etc.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Armel Coussine

>> Or manage to get into a car park / petrol station which goes over a path. Or (etc. etc.)

Pretty though.

Are you sure it never sort of came together on the right road and felt good going like a rocket for a couple of miles?

Sad story FMR. Admirable of you to give it a go though.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - ToMoCo
Wow indeed. Stuff the impracticality, It would be enough just to see that every morning!
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - rtj70
The Ferrari 355 was meant to get a cam belt change every 3 years or 30,000 miles. And the official way to do it was to remove the engine... an expensive/time consuming job.

I know it's a Ferrari but if something needs doing on a regular basis then engine removal is poor design.
What model then? And how old? Not that I am willing to buy a newish one tomorrow. I'd be in trouble if I did!

>> What model then? And how old?

I was wondering too.
>> >> What model then? And how old?

>> I was wondering too.

And I don't suppose I am alone FMR... come on, you must know that 'a Ferrari' is only going to arouse curiosity in a place like this.

Look, anyone might be tempted by a small Ferrari, or a bargain money-pit huge one, in a moment of vainglory and intellectual weakness. Personally I am green with envy, and I don't suppose I'm alone in that either. Of course I'm sorry it turned out to be unsatisfactory.

A lot of big Mercs in Haselmere today, new ones driven by young chaps. Are they company cars, or are people just stone rich in Haselmere? Same difference I suppose.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Dog
>> Look, anyone might be tempted by a small Ferrari, or a bargain money-pit huge one, in a moment of vainglory and intellectual weakness. Personally I am green with envy, and I don't suppose I'm alone in that either.

I wouldn't swop my Forester for any of that foreign junk (hehe!) how would I have gotten-on with taking all that old chain-link fencing down to the cycling centre in a Nick Ferrari yesterday FFS!
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Cliff Pope
>> >> Where does the ego
>> come in?
>>
>>

"Id, ego and super-ego are the three parts of the psychic apparatus defined in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche; they are the three theoretical constructs in terms of whose activity and interaction mental life is described. According to this model of the psyche, the id is the set of uncoordinated instinctual trends; the super-ego plays the critical and moralizing role; and the ego is the organized, realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego. The super-ego can stop you from doing certain things that your id may want you to do."

So perhaps in this case the id is the bloke's desire to flaunt a Ferrari in central London, the super-ego is this forum, and his ego is the realistic part which tells him it's fine, he can afford it, what's money for anyway?
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 08:28
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Dog
Bit of T Cut plus a fair dollop of elbow grease and it'll be as good as new :(
What driver are those reports talking about? Surely a parked Ferrari wouldn't have a driver in it to be shaken but not seriously injured.

Obviously the lorry driver wouldn't be seriously injured. But he might be a bit shaken if the last thing his boss said to him was 'Next time you graunch a parked car you can pay for the damage yourself Gary, all right?'

I don't see why a Ferrari owner shouldn't park in a quiet London square if he or she happens to be in the neighbourhood. What might perhaps be usefully barred from such places is unsuitably huge and clumsy trucks.

Flimsy bodywork these supercar owners seem to tolerate...

'yer, but it's carbon fibre squire innit? Can't do it for less than fourteen grand, I'd be cuttin me own froat', etc. etc.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - BobbyG
You are all missing the point here - look at the rear of the lorry - "Bentley only" !
Looks like some panels on the 458 to me. And maybe radiator underneath? Not huge damage. So just very expensive to fix.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Pat
As is often the case the green jag parked on the apex of the corner , illegally I bet, is the one causing the problem.

Pat
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Duncan
>> As is often the case the green jag parked on the apex of the corner
>> , illegally I bet, is the one causing the problem.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Of course Pat.

Absolutely nothing to do with the lorry driver, Pat.
Here we go again Duncan, and where did I say that?

The simple fact of the matter is, to an experienced eye, should a fire engine need to get around that bend the green jag would have prevented it, because it is illegally parked on the bend.

Would you want to be waiting for that fire engine?

Easy to see where all the posters have gone....again.

Pat
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Biggles
>The simple fact of the matter is, to an experienced eye, should a fire engine need to get around that bend the green jag would have prevented it, because it is illegally parked on the bend.

What makes you say the Jaguar was illegally parked? There is no road junction here and the Jag was parked within the white dashed marking. More likely, the truck driver has simply driven into the square for a delivery, not realising he cannot drive out.

>> Easy to see where all the posters have gone....again.

I think 'les got wiped out by a lorry.
The jaguar is legally parked, as is the ferrari and a LFB appliance would easily get round that bend.

Ting

next?
Well, of course Zero, you're the expert on everything who can't be wrong, arn't you?

Pat
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Alanovich
To be fair to Z, Pat, much as it pains me, he did fess up to being wrong about Car Giant this week.
Just try looking at the picture. Without your misty eyed lorry drivers can do no wrong glasses on.

And then look at the length of a LFB tender.

And then come back and tell me I am wrong.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 09:40
....and you try showing me where I defended the lorry driver?

I feel sorry for the Ferrari driver, I feel for the lorry driver having a good idea how he got into that situation, but there is no doubt it is him who's in the wrong.

Why do you always assume if I comment on a thread with the word 'lorry' in it, I'm defending the driver? It's tiresome and boring.

Why do you always assume you know how much space a vehicle needs that you have never driven....for instance, had you noticed that trailer has a rear steer axle? It makes a huge difference.

And while I'm at it, it's always assumed the lorry shouldn't be there. Well a regular delivery of mine was to this hotel.
tinyurl.com/puqyo2g
In the middle of Bath, on traffic lights kerbside handball job of 2 pallets of tiny cartons of milk for the guests room service coffee.

That's how they economise to offer reduced and competitive rates but I'd still get shouted at by car drivers who were inconvenienced whilst they could see us unloading.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 09:56
>> ....and you try showing me where I defended the lorry driver?

Quote - your first post on the subject

"As is often the case the green jag parked on the apex of the corner , illegally I bet, is the one causing the problem."

>> Why do you always assume if I comment on a thread with the word 'lorry'
>> in it, I'm defending the driver? It's tiresome and boring.

Quote your first post on the subject

"As is often the case the green jag parked on the apex of the corner , illegally I bet, is the one causing the problem."

>> Why do you always assume you know how much space a vehicle needs that you
>> have never driven...

I know how much space a LFB tender takes. The size is chosen to negotiate places exactly like that.

.for instance, had you noticed that trailer has a rear steer axle? It
>> makes a huge difference.

Didn't tho did it. He still hit the Ferrari.

>>"As is often the case the green jag parked on the apex of the corner , illegally I bet, is the one causing the problem<<

....and he most certainly is the one causing the problem.

I rest my case and will retire to the peace and quiet of the garden.

Pat
>> Well a regular delivery of mine was to this hotel.
>> tinyurl.com/puqyo2g

Opposite the station - know it well, traffic often pretty congested around there. Rather you than me :)
Its not just an issue caused by large modern lorries in old town centres. Near me we have a fairly new Waitrose. Entry to the loading bay is a complete reversal pig all the way from the main road all the way up to the loading ramp, needing a 15 minute closure of the car park access.

loading access was clearly the last thing on anyones mind when this was in the planning stage

>> ...for instance, had you noticed that trailer has a rear steer axle?

Just out of interest, how can you tell? I've looked again and still couldn't determine that.
If you look very closely at the 4th and 9th picture down you can just see that the rear axle is out of line with the other two, Tomoco.

To be fair I looked for it because I know they run some rear stears. They are a very reputable company and I have spent many a happy hour in their yard delivering and collecting loads.

www.ijmcgilltransport.com/

Pat
>> If you look very closely at the 4th and 9th picture down you can just
>> see that the rear axle is out of line with the other two, Tomoco.

You must need an eye for it then, I still can't tell!
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - WillDeBeest
...you can pay for the damage yourself Gary, all right?

I haven't met a Gary for years. They used to be everywhere. Where have all the Garys gone?
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - helicopter
I haven't met a Gary for years. They used to be everywhere. Where have all the Garys gone?

........Prison?
>> Where have all
>> the Garys gone?
>>

You won't find any in your WDH. They're all down the road in Bracknell.
>> What might perhaps be usefully barred
>> from such places is unsuitably huge and clumsy trucks.

Starting with Range Rovers and Toyota Landcruisers upwards.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Bromptonaut
Notee a sign on lorry saying 'Bentley only'. Perhaps delivering to a Kensington dealership?
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - crocks
Whilst not wishing to join in the bickering, may I point out the "parking suspended" sign on the lamppost by the Ferrari.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Slidingpillar
I did wonder if the lorry was really a car transporter with curtain sides. I've seen a few that definitely were, not unusual for high value cars to be transported to dealerships for service that way.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - commerdriver
>> not unusual for high value cars to be transported to dealerships for service that way.
>>
Or indeed for company cars to be delivered this way, my last 2 were
>> >> not unusual for high value cars to be transported to dealerships for service that
>> way.
>> >>
>> Or indeed for company cars to be delivered this way, my last 2 were

One of mine was delivered to an office in Richmond high street from a very large very full transporter. It was the one over the lorry cab. Everything had to come off, it took 45 minutes and the traffic snarled up to the A316 and made Capital Radio traffic news.

Think it was my Sierra
>> I did wonder if the lorry was really a car transporter with curtain sides. I've
>> seen a few that definitely were, not unusual for high value cars to be transported
>> to dealerships for service that way.

They certainly recover broken down high value marques like that. Doesn't do to see your product on a breakdown truck!
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - bathtub tom
Wouldn't it be ironic if parking was suspended for someone's Bentley to be delivered?
From the photos I have to agree with Pat that the green Jaguar was a contributing factor - a major one. But the lorry driver is to blame for the collision.

The lorry has obviously reversed into the Ferrari - so possibly having to manoeuvre around the Jag which is on the corner which must be illegally parked? You're not meant to park on corners are you. I think these cover it from the Highway Code:

242 You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.
Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103

243 DO NOT stop or park on a bend

244 You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs. (Not sure if it is on the pavement at all mind.)

EDIT: Although the Ferrari probably shouldn't be parked there (suspended parking)... doesn't mean they caused this by parking there.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 14:10
>> The lorry has obviously reversed into the Ferrari

I don't think it reversed into it, more the trailer has swung into it as he turns
>> I don't think it reversed into it, more the trailer has swung into it as
>> he turns

Looks like the trailer's rear bar made contact at the forward side of the Ferrari's left hand side rear wheel arch and went forward (about a foot) from there.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 14:18
That's how I see it too.

If you look further down they have removed the trailer cowcatcher bar to prevent any further damage....you would, wouldn't you?:)

Pat
Streetview suggests there are parking bays on both sides:

tinyurl.com/oenzc9o

Truck's tailbar caught car while truck was going forwards judging by the damage. Trucker's fault whatever but expecting him to use streets like that is a big ask.

EDIT - Others make same point about direction of impact.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 14:18
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - neiltoo
Beat me to it!
tinyurl.com/nannk4l
Looks like the Jag is legally parked to me.

Neil
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 14:22
From the road markings it does look like you're allowed to park on that corner. I thought you weren't meant to park on a corner according to the Highway Code.

Anyway regardless of where any of the cars were parked, the lorry driver hit the Ferrari and is therefore to blame. And looking at the Google Street View images, it is a narrow road to go down in a large lorry - I'm not saying the manoeuvre couldn't have been completed by a competent driver.

Although a lot of damage to the Ferrari, it still looks fairly easily fixed. It will just cost a lot.
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Dave_
>> >> not unusual for high value cars to be transported to dealerships for service that way.

>> Or indeed for company cars to be delivered this way, my last 2 were

That's exactly what I do, albeit in a smaller lorry than that one. Ironically I was only a mile away in Grosvenor Square, collecting another Ferrari, when this incident was taking place in Kensington. I didn't hit anything though :)
There must be some sort of car broker who works out of a pretty run down office near my work. Regularly see transporters double parking at the end of the street to offload.

Maybe just money launderers!
>> There must be some sort of car broker who works out of a pretty run
>> down office near my work. Regularly see transporters double parking at the end of the
>> street to offload.
>>
>> Maybe just money launderers!

Council house dweller.
Dave I assume there is a technique to do low speed manoeuvring of these sportscars??
Driven a LaFerrari yet???
>> Dave I assume there is a technique to do low speed manoeuvring of these sportscars??

Yes, do it gently. And get it right first time, the clutch starts to judder & smell after more than 30 seconds of creeping. It helps if you look smart, you get your photo taken quite a lot.

>> Driven a LaFerrari yet???

Not yet, but I did deliver a new FF yesterday.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 23:12
and is the FF really the supercar for the family?
As long as the children have no legs, yes.

To expand, it's quite cosy in the back but it could work. I had time for a good look around it on my own, which is quite rare as those kind of cars attract a lot of attention. To picture the interior, imagine the front half of a 458 and the back half of a VW Up! (but with more leather and carpet) and you've got the proportions about right. One of the glossy magazines went skiing in the Alps in one, 4-up, so it can be done.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 23:26
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - Mr. Ecs
Pat,

I know that square really well. I used to be stationed at Old Court Place and have negotiated a fire engine on a call around that very square. Very tight, but I did it. That artic should NOT have been there in the first place. He was going to hit something, just happened to be a legally parked. Ferrari. The driver from his position as he entered the square would have easily seen it would be tight. Totally his fault.
>> Totally his fault.

As Pat said, "there is no doubt it is him who's in the wrong".

From the map, it looks like perhaps the driver had done a delivery nearby and saw the square as a way of turning round, instead of reversing back down a sideroad? But that's only a guess.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 13 Mar 14 at 12:14
>>That artic should NOT have been there in the first place.<<

I was carefully coming back out of this lane after making a delivery at the bottom in the old mill.

goo.gl/LeBKLa

At the point in the view I was trying to get the far end of my trailer round the porch on the white house ( which you can see has been knocked over more than once before).

There was 3 hikers walking down the field to my right who shouted 'serves you right for using your satnav'

If you turn the little yellow man around and follow the lane down you will come to JMP Foodservice where we have to then get around the back to the left of the building.

They have a weekly delivery and we are instructed to park at the top of the lane a ring before going down to make sure there isn't one coming out but whatever, those Hikers will always be convinced that stupid female lorry driver was stuck down a lane because of her satnav.

It's easy to judge without the facts.

Pat
Like saying the Jaguar was illegally parked for instance?
Here we go, bored and trying for an argument.....again.

You are soooo predictable and from your previous, sooo unable to admit when you're proved wrong, aren't you?

Pat
Except in this case Pat, I aint wrong. You are big time. No argument.

And its nearly as predictable as blame being thrown anywhere except the lorry driver who was at fault. Its nearly as predictable as poor old lorry drivers being victimised by the police, its nearly as predictable as lorry driving being the only hard labour in town, its nearly as predictable as lorry drivers being the only highly skilled job in town.

Need I go on?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 13 Mar 14 at 14:24
>>Except in this case Pat, I aint wrong.<<

...and when you were, what did you do?

Pat

Like you I guess I didn't admit i was wrong.

So what does that make you? As bad as me dear.
Try and post it all in one go Zero....such a sloppy way of doing things to 'add' a bunch of comments afterwards.

I'll treat the 'added' comments with the disdain they deserve.

Pat
got said tho didn't they, and they aint that far off the truth.
How remarkably childish!

Pat
You two just going to get a room , there is a lot of pent up frustration needing released......
>> You two just going to get a room , there is a lot of pent
>> up frustration needing released......

Thanks Bobby. I was too reserved to make same comment this afternoon.
I suspect that its all a front to throw us off the scent and make sure we don't suspect their mad, passionate and unfulfilled desire for each other.
>> passionate and unfulfilled desire for each other. <<

Unfulfilled...presumptuous or what?

Pat
You haven't seen her dressed in nothing but high heels and a riding crop........
 Ferrari F458 Italia - Lorry "scratches" parked car - WillDeBeest
Z, please - people are having breakfast. You've put me right off my muffin.
Latest Forum Posts