Motoring Discussion > Older or wiser. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 22

Older or wiser. - Runfer D'Hills
My wife's Qashqai is in for a service. She has a loan of a 63 plate Micra Tekna while it's in. Fairly disturbingly, she loves it. Even more concerning is that I rather like it too.

It has all manner of toys including auto lights, wipers, sat nav, funky body kit, smart alloys etc etc.

But it's a Micra for Pete's sake !

We must be getting old !

Drives alright too. Maybe we should look into taking up bowls?

Older or wiser. - Manatee
These things are a novelty for a day or two.

I had a C1 a while back. Really fun dodgem for about 3 days, after three weeks I couldn't wait to get rid. Gutless, droning 3 cylinder thing that should have been the basis of a garden mower not a car.
Right answer Manatee ! She's getting all geared up to buy one. Have to stymie that...
 Older or wiser. - Slidingpillar
The original Micra was a quite good car, my neighbour has one. The late lamented Car and Car Conversions reckoned it was a modern day Mini Cooper in terms of handling and ease of tuning, but without the expense.

Wouldn't have a modern one though - hideous!
I can't drive one anyway. I don't have any grey shoes or beige trousers.
 Older or wiser. - Dog
>>But it's a Micra for Pete's sake !

"Lags behind most other small hatchbacks. Not as much hip and shoulder room as headroom. Interior feels cheap in places. Unexciting to drive"

:}
 Older or wiser. - Gromit
"But it's a Micra for Pete's sake !"

So you'd expect it to be a reliable, low-cost car to own and run. And it'd certainly cost less than a petrol Cashcow to fuel. It may not be a ball of fun, but are the Hyundai/Kia/VAG alternatives much better that way?

Mind, SWMBO wanted character in a runabout, so we searched out a custard yellow Panda. There are those who'd say I was mad, but its served us well and still raises a smile. Each to their own!
 Older or wiser. - Skip

>> But it's a Micra for Pete's sake !
>> We must be getting old !
>> Drives alright too. Maybe we should look into taking up bowls?

And join the National Trust ?

>> And join the National Trust ?

Thought you had to have a Volvo for that?
 Older or wiser. - WillDeBeest
And your point is?

NT properties were great, clean, safe places for a run-around when the Beestlings were little. We've been members since we were 26 - before we even had a Saab - and still are. Whole years go by when we don't go to one at all, but we think it's worth supporting, so why not?
I couldn't unfortunately. No parcel shelf in my car for the straw hat to reside on sadly.
 Older or wiser. - Skip
>> I couldn't unfortunately. No parcel shelf in my car for the straw hat to reside
>> on sadly.
>>

Plus the cushions, one each side of the hat !!
I guess I could make room for the tin of boiled sweets though. I've got some Mercedes branded ones come to think. They give them to you when the car comes back from being serviced.

Older or wiser. - Skip
>> I guess I could make room for the tin of boiled sweets though. I've got
>> some Mercedes branded ones come to think. They give them to you when the car
>> comes back from being serviced.

I think that Werthers Originals are the sweets of choice for the beige brigade these days
 Older or wiser. - CGNorwich
The NT does ii I take a lot of stick and some of the stereotypes may be true but as an organisation it has surely done a great job in preserving our countryside, gardens and great houses. I think I have visited most of their properties in England. Fantastic value too for around £90 per year. Quite fancy a Volvo.
 Older or wiser. - Kevin
>Thought you had to have a Volvo for that?

It's part of the membership pack and you get a free Parker pen just for enquiring, ask Rob ;-)
 Older or wiser. - Alastairw
Fwiw my mother (right in the target age range!) loves her Micra. Since 1993 when she sold the last of three consecutive Ford Orions she has driven nothing but Nissans, and has never had any problems. That said, she buys brand new and trades in every three years, so you wouldn't really expect any.
She got her Qashqai back tonight and as it's now unrecognisably clean and shiny it seems to be back in favour.

Something of a relief really.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 11 Mar 14 at 20:30
 Older or wiser. - BobbyG
Did they clean the mirrors or is it not worth wasting the time on the current ones??
Have to say it does look smart again having been valeted. It's an 08 model, 6 years old this month but in apparently very good order. We bought it in late 2010 and so far other than the two replacement drivers door mirrors ( which were hardly its fault ) it hasn't been any bother.

I quite like it, in as much as it's inoffensive but it's not the sort of car you'd just take out for a drive for the joy of it. She likes it a lot though. Says she likes sitting up high which by and large I don't. However, if it was 'my' car I could easily and contentedly live with it.

Should wash it more I suppose.
 Older or wiser. - Zero
>> She
>> likes it a lot though.

She seems to say that about any car, I reckon she would be happy with any car, a situation you seem to have failed to ruthlessly exploit. Missed a trick or 10 there me ole fruit.
In truth, that's probably right enough. I'm a bit like that myself too I suppose. I'd like to think anyway that I can enjoy most cars for what they are well enough provided they behave in a car like manner. Some are 'better' than others at certain things but the bottom line is any functioning car is a whole lot better than one which doesn't go or indeed not having one at all.

I've never been without a car since I was 17 and I think I'd find it really tough to adjust to life without one.

Older or wiser. - MD
>> My wife's Qashqai is in for a service. She has a loan of a 63
>> plate Micra Tekna while it's in. Fairly disturbingly, she loves it. Even more concerning is
>> that I rather like it too.
>>
>> It has all manner of toys including auto lights, wipers, sat nav, funky body kit,
>> smart alloys etc etc.
>>
>> But it's a Micra for Pete's sake !
>>
>> We must be getting old !
>>
>> Drives alright too. Maybe we should look into taking up bowls?
>>
How are your Bowls by the way? Porridge in the morning with Prunes tends to keep the wheels oiled. IYGMM.
Latest Forum Posts