Motoring Discussion > Car for Parents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 41

Car for Parents - Netsur
It is time for my parents to downsize as my mother has stopped driving. In fact she stopped some time ago due to ill health but Dad has kept both cars on.

The existing cars are a Suzuki Wagon R+ Auto and a Subaru Forester XT Auto. My mother is now fairly disabled and finds it easiest to enter the Suzuki because the gap between the sill and seat edge is quite small. Most modern cars have a larger gap. You will spot that both cars have seat heights that are slightly higher than normal.

My father would like a car that is interesting to drive. The boot also needs to be able to hold a wheelchair - something the Suzuki does with ease as the folded chair fits upright.

It shouldn't be too big. They have rented the Chevrolet Tacuma previously which was pretty good for my mother but a dog to drive.

Any suggestions?
 Car for Parents - Old Navy
How about a small MPV type of car, I have not seriously looked at this type, but had a brief look at a KIA Venga recently and thought it would be a suitable car for me when I eventually give up long distance driving. That should be a couple of cars away for me, but that type of car seems OK for a short to medium distance use and is quite roomy.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 18 Jun 10 at 10:46
 Car for Parents - Bromptonaut
I'll get the inevitable Berlingo/Partner reccomendation in early!!
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Thanks

I thought about the Venga and will take Dad to see one this weekend. I don't think the Berlingo is what he is looking for, although I understand the reason for suggesting it.
 Car for Parents - R.P.
Roomster - certainly roomie, plenty of verve in diesel form.
 Car for Parents - corax
Honda Jazz, plenty of room for a wheelchair and easy to get in and out of.
 Car for Parents - rtj70
Skoda Yeti?
 Car for Parents - -
If dad still enjoys his driving does the newer model Forester tick the boxes, or is the current one the current one if you follow.
 Car for Parents - rtj70
I thought the purpose was to downsize. If the newer Forester was okay size wise then the current car would be okay too.

I have taken the requirements to be a car smaller than a Forester that the mother will also be able to drive.
 Car for Parents - JohnM{P}
For my parents (passengers now), it's not just the seat height and how far in the sets are, but also the foot gap between the rear seat and the B pillar, and the relative heights of the floor, sill and seat.
Following my visits to showrooms, I'd suggest the Roomster or Note, also Merc A series and C3 Picasso. I hope to look at the new Meriva tomorrow.
Of course, real test is to take them along but as mine live 150 miles away that's not easy for me!
A revolving seat cushion may also help (adds height also); look at the reviews on Amazon as some seem better than others.
 Car for Parents - Zero
Suprised that with Espada being a new Ford convert, no-one has mentioned the C-Max
"no-one has mentioned the C-Max" Well I will... the rear seats are well positioned, but are is on a pedestal - if you can lift your foot above it there's plenty of space but if your movements are restricted it might not be so easy.
 Car for Parents - Avant
If Espadrille still has her A-class, is it worth letting them have a good look at it?

I agree with someone above that the Jazz is a contender: a wheelchair should fit in the gap left by the 'magic seats' in this car with the cushions folded up.
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Thanks for the suggestions.

Mother (who will be a passenger now) tried the A-Class but couldn't get comfortable.

C-Max - too big really

Jazz - not with that dreadful manumatic gearbox

Dad fancies the Note. I like the car, but not sure it is suitable for Mother. We are going on a little outing tomorrow to various dealerships for Dad and I to have a look at possibilities, followed by getting my mother to try to get inside one. Her body movements are quite limited and she has never entered a car the right was anyway (Bottom first onto seat and swing legs in afterwards) always climbing in, like the Queen does in a huge limousine. Doesn't work in Suzuki! So it will be a challenge....
 Car for Parents - Runfer D'Hills
I know a Nissan dealer where it's quite difficult to buy a car so if you don't want them to have the Note just give me the nod and I can tell you where it is......

:-)
 Car for Parents - Zero
go in there together, say you want to buy TWO cars.

That should really flumox him.
 Car for Parents - Iffy
...go in there together, say you want to buy TWO cars....

Two Notes - that would be a Cord.
 Car for Parents - Focusless
>> Two Notes - that would be a Cord.

But if they were slightly different you could end up with a Discord.
 Car for Parents - Iffy
Wouldn't mind part-exchanging the CC3 for this:

www.tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/PaulBryant810/Images/15Cord810.jpg
Gosh that is gorgeous. Can't think of any possible use for it but it's hand bitingly beautiful isn't it ?
 Car for Parents - Iffy
...Can't think of any possible use for it ...

I can't believe you mean that Humph.

The use for it is to drive it around for no reason other than to nourish the soul.

You are of course right....

Car for Parents - Iffy
Speaking of driving about, now might not be a bad time to give that Nissan dealer a second chance, if only as an experiment.

Car for Parents - corax
Make sure you take t'other half :-)
He can do one !

Edit - told Mrs D' about it and there are sort of two chances left for them to sell us a car. "Slim" and "None" and Slim just left town......
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 11:37
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Sorry to butt in............

Went to a Nissan dealer and found the Note and the Micra quite acceptable.

Went to a Kia dealer but found teh Soul and Venga to be nice but unsuitable.

Had a look at a Fiesta (last model), Fiesta (this model), Fusion and Focus but none were suitable. However the C-Max was amazing. Nice flat seats, close to the door so easy for Mum to get in.

At least we have three cars to consider. Dad going tomorrow to look at the Renault Modus, Skoda Roomster and Yeti. Hopefully he will find a couple to seriously consider.

Thanks for your help so far.
Hey sorry Espada ! That was probably my fault. Apologies for drift.
 Car for Parents - Netsur
I am as guilty as you Humph on other threads!
 Car for Parents - Old Navy
OK you are both naughty boys, but we knew that anyway.
Had a look at the Meriva yesterday - good rear seat access with the rear hinged rear doors plus good foot room plus grab handle on B pillar
 Car for Parents - MD
PLEASE go and look at Mitsubishi COLT.

No connection other than I think it is a great car.

M
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Thanks but I have driven one with the manumatic gearbox and hated it. Sorry - I know you like it!
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Dad went to look at a Diahatsu Sirion today. I think he is about to buy one! Apparently very easy for my mother to access, nice reliable automatic drivetrain and almost brand new (25 miles on the clock, 10 reg) at about £1750 off list and a decent p/x against the Suzuki and Subaru.
 Car for Parents - Boxsterboy
Have you seen the other thread about the Daihatsu importer (IM Group) not importing anything since Nov' 09, and possibly not importing anything more due to poor exchange rate and low sales? Doesn't bode well for future spare parts availability.
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Yep - but they have produced and sold this model Sirion for about five years I think, so availability worldwide should be more than OK. How do people who own US Yank Tanks get on on this side of the pond?
 Car for Parents - Harleyman
>> How do people who own
>> US Yank Tanks get on on this side of the pond?
>>

Bit different with mine since it's a) extremely rare and b) quite old but generally speaking you can get anything you want, it's the shipping that kills you pricewise.

Customer service in the USA is generally speaking light years better than ours; I made an enquiry to Hyster, the forklift people, regarding engine parts for the GMC (some of their trucks use same engine as my pick-up) and they not only replied promptly but got a girl at the local dealership onto the case within a week. Upon receipt of all my engine details they have offered to cross-reference it with their parts database and see if they can help me.

I explained that my enquiry was only out of curiosity and that I didn't want to cause them unnecesary work..... no problem sir, we're happy to help. A refreshing change from the norm.

Regrettably it doesn't transfer easily to two wheels, most UK Harley-Davidson dealerships have a poor record when it comes to supplying anything other than bolt-on shiny bits.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 21 Jun 10 at 16:33
 Car for Parents - Stuu
>>How do people who own US Yank Tanks get on on this side of the pond?<<

When my aunt retired from her career in the US and Canada, she gave up her large saloon over there for... a Sirion, I kid you not. She has a '99 Sirion 1.0 auto. Its done nigh on 200k now as she shares it with my other aunt who also retired around the same time in Canada. Its very battered and uncared for though, I wouldnt buy it!

If you want to know anything about the current Sirion auto, ask away.
 Car for Parents - Bagpuss
>> Have you seen the other thread about the Daihatsu importer (IM Group) not importing anything
>> since Nov' 09, and possibly not importing anything more due to poor exchange rate and
>> low sales? Doesn't bode well for future spare parts availability.

Daihatsu still sell elsewhere in Europe, so anything non right hand drive specific would be available via that route. Seen a number of Materias and Sirions here, the Materia especially I find strangely desirable and the latest Sirion is a very attractively styled car. German TUEV warns about clonking front suspension and rust on older ones, but in practice probably no worse than the norm.
 Car for Parents - Stuu
RE: clonking suspension

There is a known issue with the factory bushes in the front suspension which can after a while lead to the occasional clonk, on ours from the OSF corner. I spoke to our dealer the other day about this and asked what it was and if it was covered under warranty. He said yes and they will change the part when we have it in for brake pads next month, apparently its a known niggle. Not dangerous but a bit annoying.
 Car for Parents - Injection Doc
Hate to say it but now my parents are reaching their 80's & wanted to give up driving they found the vauxhall meriva very easy to drive & access in & out & even just done a trip to France. As for an exciting car Nil Points but it does what it says on the tin!
 Car for Parents - Netsur
Exactly.

My father has driven 'interesting' cars for about 40 years - ever since he could afford to buy anything he wanted within reason. So he has had two NSU Ro80s, Honda Accord 4WS, Peugeot 604, Merc 280SE 3.5 (the one with the twin vertical headlights) and two Subaru Foresters.

With the NSUs it was a case of not only being able to afford to buy them but being able to afford to run them!

So the Diahatsu is a 'come down' but it suits his now more modest requirements. We are all looking forward to its arrival next week.
 Car for Parents - Iffy
...Meriva not very exciting...

Hasn't the latest one got suicide rear doors?

That's a little bit exciting.
Latest Forum Posts