Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service.
Thread Author: Almac Replies: 13

BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Almac
Went out to the car (8 year old petrol 3 series) just before lunch today, started it and it sounded really rough and the engine management light was flashing away merrily. I have the top RAC cover as part of my car insurance so I phoned them, they took about 45 minutes to arrive. The technician diagnosed a faulty coil and managed to find a parts supplier (Europarts) who would stay open until he called for it. It took him almost an hour to fit it and the only cost to me was £48 for the part.
I was amazed at the amount of time and effort he was prepared to put in to fix this, I was expecting to be without the car for the weekend and to drive slowly to my local garage on Monday for repairs.
Getting the car signed off as repaired seemed to be his goal. I say well done that man!
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Runfer D'Hills
That is good ! The thought has occurred to me to wonder what proportion of modern cars the rescue services do manage to roadside repair now or whether their main activity is weighted to taking broken down vehicles to garages.

I'd imagine anyway that they fix fewer than they used to when vehicles were less complicated, albeit less reliable too.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Robin O'Reliant
>> That is good ! The thought has occurred to me to wonder what proportion of
>> modern cars the rescue services do manage to roadside repair now or whether their main
>> activity is weighted to taking broken down vehicles to garages.
>>
>> I'd imagine anyway that they fix fewer than they used to when vehicles were less
>> complicated, albeit less reliable too.
>>

They claim to fix 85% by the roadside. I'd guess most call outs are simple things like flat batteries, punctures, alternator belts etc.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Bromptonaut
>> They claim to fix 85% by the roadside. I'd guess most call outs are simple
>> things like flat batteries, punctures, alternator belts etc.

See them at roadside nowadays with laptop plugged in diagnostic socket. Guess that allows them to identify pretty quickly those that can be got running and flatbed cases.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Simon
>> They claim to fix 85% by the roadside. I'd guess most call outs are simple
>> things like flat batteries, punctures, alternator belts etc.

They probably do, but the 'modern' breakdown has changed a lot over the years. At one time of day people only used to ring their breakdown service if they really needed help at the roadside. Nowadays people aren't so hands-on and will call for assistance for the slightest thing.

For example a large proportion of people will no longer attempt to change a flat tyre even though they have a spare wheel, jack a and wheel brace in their boot, a simple 'fix' statistic for the breakdown service. The same with jump starts (particularly in the winter) they do thousands of them and again are simple 'fixes'.

Engine management lights are another big modern 'thing', people will ring the breakdown service even though their can is still running just fine. The breakdown service will attend the vehicle, read the diagnostic trouble codes, advise the customer why the light is on, switch the light off and advise that if it reappears to take it into a garage for attention. Most of them are not serious faults that render the vehicle un-driveable, they are just a warning that something is not 100%. Again they are a roadside 'fix' statistic.

As cars have become more reliable the days of a clutch, gearbox, alternator, wheel bearing etc etc failing have become less and less. The 'need to tow' a vehicle away has changed a lot.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Zero
They don't salute you either....
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - VxFan
>> I was amazed at the amount of time and effort he was prepared to put in to fix this

What a very, very nice man.

Oops, sorry, that's the other lot ;)
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Alastairw
The only time I have called out the RAC they really were great, and they got me a free courtesy car and 10% off the new clutch that the Octy needed. That said, my mate who used to work for their chief rival, reckons RAC stands for Really Are Clowns.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Armel Coussine
>> reckons RAC stands for Really Are Clowns.

Various uncomplimentary variants of AA spring quite easily to mind. But we have AA cover, and when we've used it it's been fine.

Time was I used to do all that stuff myself. But I'm past grappling with a modern electronic engine in the dark now. And remembering what it could be like fixing some knackered jalopy in the rain on a grass verge at night, or in the middle of a Paris rush hour, I can't help feeling that dignified acquiescence to being past it is the best option by far.

BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Ted

Me too ! Absolutely. That's what I pay Britannia for !

HO
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - carmalade
Bmw have extended the warranty on these pencil colis.You may have been able to get all of them replaced for free by main dealer.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - mikeyb
My experience of the RAC has always been positive, however, cant say the same about the AA, but lot comes down to the attitude of the guy on the day.

A colleagues Renault broke down last week (dont laugh, it is almost 4 years old now) and he said the AA man was good, turned up when he said he would and had a good go at fixing it with his laptop, but was defeated.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - Ateca chris
>>>> AA man was good, turned up when he said he would and had a good go at fixing it with his laptop, but was defeated. >>>>

Maybe if he used some tools and know how he might of fixed it.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Great RAC service. - mikeyb
>> >>>> AA man was good, turned up when he said he would and had a
>> good go at fixing it with his laptop, but was defeated. >>>>
>>
>> Maybe if he used some tools and know how he might of fixed it.
>>

Not in this case. Unusually for Renault (cough) it appears to be the electronics that are preventing it from moving out of park. I'm sure the dealer is extracting the urine though - so far they have decided upon a new glow plug, new battery, and now decided that its the computer that controls the gearbox.......all just a few months out of warranty
Latest Forum Posts