Motoring Discussion > What is the most popular make of car in the UK? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 21

What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Falkirk Bairn
Ford? Well if you were at Gleneagles Hotel today you would have said Mitsubishi!

The carparks were full of them - Reason - Dealer jolly marking 40 yrs in the UK.

Flotillas of Mitsubishis - a few Evos, some Shoguns. Outlandsers + some stars as well

1975 Galant
1975 Lancer (complete with chrome hub caps)
2000 Evo
1982 Shogun - mint
1987 3000GT
and the Timo Makkinnen WRX car - immaculate

Modern cars on "importers showroom"were the new Grandis, the Outlander Hybrid and a Mirage - all outshone by the older models.

Yorkshire Dealer owner there for the Mitsubishi 2/3 day stint. What car did he drive up in?

Answers please.....
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - RattleandSmoke
Don't mention the Germans, I think I mentioned it once and got away with it :D. The war doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I assume you are talking about thee Glen Eagles in Torquay? Stayed there myself a bit of a wall back from the town centre though.

>>I assume you are talking about thee Glen Eagles in Torquay

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire - Ryder Cup 2014 Venue - 3 Championship 18 holers / Michelin Restaurant - a bit posher than the Torquay one I am sure
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - legacylad
Strangely enough there is a Gleneagles GC at McLaren Park in San Fran not a million miles from where I currently am.
The one in Devon was quite posh, I think it was 4 star but I would really say it was just a high end 3 star. Sorry for going off topic, just when people talk about Glen Eagles I automatically assume it is the Torquay one due to the Fawlty Towers fame.
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Runfer D'Hills
What, you mean you really weren't joking Rats?

Oh Kay....
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Zero
For 99.99% of the population, when "Gleneagles" is mentioned thoughts turn to a Scottish golf course......
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Dave_
>> Yorkshire Dealer owner there for the Mitsubishi 2/3 day stint. What car did he drive up in?

>> Answers please.....

Brand new (yet rather old) Shogun?
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Ambo
>>For 99.99% of the population, when "Gleneagles" is mentioned thoughts turn to a Scottish golf course

Put me in the .01%. My children were born in the Gleneagles hospital, former hotel, in Singapore.
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - henry k
>> >>For 99.99% of the population, when "Gleneagles" is mentioned thoughts turn to a Scottish golf course
>>
>> Put me in the .01%. My children were born in the Gleneagles hospital, former hotel, in Singapore.
>>
A good conversation starter for your children :-)

"And where were you born ?"............ " Which hole, in the locker room or in the club house ?"
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - WillDeBeest
"And where were you born ?"............ " Which hole...?

}8---0
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Pat
Do you have to play golf to get that?

Googled it but it didn't give me a clue...!

Pat
I'm not a golfer. Nor am I an obstetrician. But I can see a problem with using that line to open a conversation.
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Pat
Nooo, I understood that:)

>>}8---0 <<

It was this, I thought it was some obscure golf score!

Pat
It's a gobsmacked African ungulate. Or as close as I could emoticonize one.
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Manatee
>> Yorkshire Dealer owner there for the Mitsubishi 2/3 day stint. What car did he drive
>> up in?
>>

Starion?
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Runfer D'Hills
Almost certainly apocryphal but I want to remember reading somewhere that the Starion was in fact meant to be called the Stallion but that there was some confusion in the Mitsubishi marketing dept at the time.

Iriots
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - mikeyb
As they have 4 marques under their belt I'm thinking not a Mitsubishi?
The only thing I know about Golf is they are made by VW hence my confusion :).
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Dog
"The "Starion" name is claimed by Mitsubishi to be a contraction of "Star of Orion", although an urban legend wrongly claims that it was intended to be stallion, as a result of an "Engrish" mistranslation. This is unfounded, but no evidence has been presented either way: Though given the equine naming of other models in the Mitsubishi "stable" include the Colt, Lancer and Chariot, the myth has some "plausibility".
 What is the most popular make of car in the UK? - Roger.
Stayed at Gleaneagles for a Lada dealer's jolly! We went up there on a specially hired choo-choo! Gloria Hunniford's late daughter was the organiser on board.
Rather old fashioned place: decent enough grub, inc. "piped" Haggis & neaps & a dram to follow.
IIRC, Bob Monkhouse was the entertainment - he was a good live performer, unlike his awful TV persona.
Last edited by: Illegitimi non carborundum on Tue 18 Mar 14 at 20:17
>>Yorkshire Dealer owner there for the Mitsubishi 2/3 day stint. What car did he drive up in?

A Lexus and he "parked it round the corner" as comfort comes before conformity!

To be fair he also owns a Lexus & Suzuki outlet(s).
Latest Forum Posts