Motoring Discussion > Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - henry k
www.theargus.co.uk/news/10782979.First_ever_Triumph_Spitfire_up_for_sale_in_Lewes/
Reported to have been sold ( BBC web site faulty)

I wonder how close to £45K it went for .
It has been on sale since early November.
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - R.P.
You'd get a really proper car for that.
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Robin O'Reliant
New price in 1962 was £645 which is £11,674.56 at today's values, according to my inflation calculator. It shows how things have moved on, the Spit was a very basic engine on wheels of the type no one would touch at that price now.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 10:51
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - R.P.
A new basic MX5 will rush you 18500 - for that you get something that's unlikely to break down or rust
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Dog
Hateful thing the Spit fire, as is the blimmin Midget - tuned and hence road tested far too many o'er the years.

MGB was bearable, just ... I had one :)

Gimme a TR any day!
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - henry k
BBC site at last sorted !
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-26684712

" it was a quality sports car at an (original) affordable price"
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Ambo
I had one, new in 1969. Good, mild fun and superb engine access. I had the kitchen model but there was I believe a V6 as well. The cab was a bit narrow for me.
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Armel Coussine
There was a straight (not V) 6 version of the Herald ambo, I forget its name, but never as far as I remember a 6 in the Spitfire body. From the factory that is. No doubt lunatics made specials for themselves.
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - madf
The GT6 had the 6 cylinder engine. The Mark 1 had appalling oversteer due to the horrible rear suspension. The Mark 2 looked and went better.

They all rusted .

The Spitfire was a rustbox and when worn was horrible.

At least a Midget was longer lasting..
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Fenlander
A GT6 for me any day over a Midget... for that 6cl engine alone. The mk.1 oversteer was character forming.

And a Vitesse any day over the GT6 for the extra room.
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Slidingpillar
Triumph GT6 - looks like a hard top Spitfire.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_GT6
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - Armel Coussine
Ah, right, GT6... I'd forgotten its existence. It would have been the same small straight-six that went in the upmarket Herald derived one (Vitesse! Thank you Fenlander).

The most sporting Herald variant was the very expensive Brabham Herald whose engine was a 1,100cc Coventry Climax screamer, with suspension and brakes fettled accordingly. I wonder if any still exist? One imagines quite a few went backwards into the scenery never to be driven again.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 22 Mar 14 at 15:21
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - bathtub tom
IIRC the Herald and Spitfire shared the same chassis, as did the GT6 and Vitesse, albeit a different chassis.

It was also alleged the GT6 had to be a tin-top to make it stiff enough.

I'm fairly certain the last Heralds (13/60) had the Vitesse chassis.

I managed to bust both the gearbox and diff on my MK1 2-litre Vitesse, quite normal for the car.
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - swiss tony
>> There was a straight (not V) 6 version of the Herald ambo, I forget its name, but never as far as I remember a 6 in the Spitfire body. From the factory that is. No doubt lunatics made specials for themselves.
>>

That would be the Triumph Vitesse... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Vitesse
 Ist Triumph Spitfire returns to the UK - madf
Triumph's straight six engine was smooth. In its 2.5PI version in the TR6 and the Triumph 2.5PI, it was quite powerful - for its day . 150bhp - then downrated for emissions to 135bhp (?).

I had a Triumph 2.5PI for three years with the overdrive gearbox giving 7 forward speeds- it was a comfortable and quiet car which went quickly (150bhp version).. I rebuilt the engine and front suspension ...in our garage . Reground crank, new cords rings and new exhaust valves.. Easy job except for the weight...
Latest Forum Posts