Motoring Discussion > BMW - DPF problems now history? Auctions
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 8

BMW - DPF problems now history? - legacylad
A pal of mine has just retired and is looking to replace his 16yo 220k mile A4 1.9 Tdi estate. He will be driving far fewer miles, sub 10k pa, but insists on a diesel as he prefers their driving characteristics. By the end of the month he hopes to have a year old 320/325d Touring, which he will keep for another 15 years.
I suggested, possibly incorrectly, that with only the occasional long run now his daily commute has finished, he would be better of with a petrol, but that is a big no no for him.
Do modern diesels, in his case either the 320d or 325d, still suffer from DPF problems please? Personally I would get a 330 or 335 petrol but sub 40mpg appals him!!
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - Old Navy
I don't know about BMWubblluus but I have recently bought my first DPF fitted car having driven diesels for decades. I did my research and found that it has a good reputation as far as the DPF is concerned. I live in a light traffic area, am retired, and I believe that as long as you get the car fully hot for at least 30 minutes non stop on a regular basis it will not be a problem. My car does local pottering but gets a good run at least a couple of times a week. I think even if a DPF is used properly it is a long term consumable and will need cleaning or replacing eventually.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Thu 27 Mar 14 at 10:02
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - Slightlyfatdirector
It is the one thing on my 2008 520d that has not yet failed!

I have a daily commute of 22 miles each way plus regular long and short runs. Never been an issue.

Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch went at 140k miles, two turbos replaced at 120k (one failed and then the replacement went 2,500 miles later).

The main issue for me has been electrics...... A very long list I won't bore you with.

My colleagues Mondeo (2010 with 70k miles and driven similarly to me but with more short runs) did need the DPF replacing. Just out of warranty and was quoted a ludicrous £4k. He has a way with works and got it done by the dealer with a £200 contribution from us.

BMW main dealer said that if mine went it would be a £2k job fwiw
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - Old Navy
>> BMW main dealer said that if mine went it would be a £2k job fwiw
>>
>>

Absolute rip off, a DPF is less than £300 on the bay.
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - NeilS
>>>By the end of the month he hopes to have a year old 320/325d Touring, which he will keep for another 15 years.

He should check out with a good BMW independent (he'll need one to look after it) if the 2 litre diesel turbo units are good enough to meet those expectations. My local one says they are not and the turbos are almost guaranteed to go before 100k and the clutch and flywheels are also very prone to failure.

I get your friend liking the driving characteristics of a diesel. There is also much to like about the driving characteristics of a BMW 6 cylinder petrol!
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - DP
No DPF issues at all on my 2012 320d ED (now coming up 40k, had from new)

20 mile each way commute every day on often heavily congested roads, and with a mix of round the houses driving and the odd long run at weekends.

>> He should check out with a good BMW independent (he'll need one to look after it) if the 2 >> litre diesel turbo units are good enough to meet those expectations. My local one says they >> are not and the turbos are almost guaranteed to go before 100k and the clutch and
>> flywheels are also very prone to failure.

Owning one out of warranty would scare me. All the above is true, plus they are known for lunching timing chains, with the resulting damage best described as terminal and catastrophic. Even if it is caught in time, the chain's location at the rear of the engine makes it an engine-out job to sort. Part of the repair / mod involves replacing the crankshaft as the sprocket is an integral part of the crank and can't be replaced separately. All things considered, it is an appalling piece of design.

This issue was supposed to have been fixed in 2011, but there are engines produced after the supposed safe date that have failed.

It's a shame because it is a hell of an engine in many respects. Coarse and unrefined compared to many diesels, but it really does go like the clappers in a 3-Series, and does low-mid 50s to the gallon without trying.

Google BMW N47 engine issues and decide for yourself. For all its impressive statistics, the engine has hardly shown itself to be BMWs finest hour in engineering terms.
Last edited by: DP on Thu 27 Mar 14 at 16:42
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - legacylad
Thanks for the replies guys. I shall tell him about the potential issues. He was planning on a year old 320/325d, maybe two years, which would be 100% reliable for many years, especially as he is spending some of his retirement stash.
He appreciates they are far more complicated than his old A4 but for that kind of money you expect reliability. I shall ask him to read the forums re that engine before he jumps. Or should I say advise? It's his hard earned after all, and maybe I could mention the new 2.8 petrol (a 4 cyl I believe with decent economy) but pre A4 he ran a 309 diesel for 15 years so is averse to anything petrol!
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - DP
The 328i in the new F30 shape is actually a 2.0 turbocharged four pot with 240 bhp, and does 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It's a quick car, but like most modern direct injected petrols, should be reasonably economical when driven gently. Mid-high 30s would seem to be quite possible if you spare the horses, although you'll be down into the low 20's if you use the power.

If he's doing say 8k a year, the petrol will cost about £1300 to fuel, and the diesel about £1,000 depending on where you buy the fuel.

Somewhere in the region of £25 a month difference, basically.

I don't know his financial circumstances, but in the context of the cost of the car, £25 a month isn't a great deal of money. Or for another £8-£10 a month in fuel he could run a proper straight six NA engined BMW.
 BMW - DPF problems now history? - Manatee
The driving characteristics he likes are probably down to the turbo rather than the diesel. A turbo petrol may well be a good option.

Take the turbo off a turbo diesel and it would be hopeless.
Latest Forum Posts