Motoring Discussion > Why cars Fail MOT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 12

Why cars Fail MOT - PhilW
OK, sorry, from DM!
www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-2590646/Why-car-fail-MOT-The-common-reasons-revealed.html

Seems to me that the reasons most cars fail MOT is the driver's fault rather than the cars!
Top reasons are "Lighting" (Failed bulbs?), "Tyres" (worn out?) and "Driver's view of the road" The last I take to be chipped windscreen rather than big dangly things hanging from rear view mirror - though from observation it could be poorly positioned satnavs!
Anyway, point is, wouldn't a quick check round cars reveal the source of most fails? Replace a bulb? Make sure you are not driving on illegal tyres?
As an aside, I recently scrapped my 14 year old Xantia. As far as I can remember it never required a replacement bulb and it never failed an MOT.
Citroen reliability - legendary!!! ;-)
As another aside and driving the motorways every day and seeing the huge chunks of road surface that have gone missing, it's no wonder so many cars suffer from serious chips of paintwork and windscreen. All those missing bits of road surface must go somewhere - onto the front of your car??
P
 Why cars Fail MOT - Zero

>> Top reasons are "Lighting" (Failed bulbs?), "Tyres" (worn out?) and "Driver's view of the road"
>> The last I take to be chipped windscreen rather than big dangly things hanging from
>> rear view mirror - though from observation it could be poorly positioned satnavs!

Yup. My sat nav is not poorly positioned, but is still an MOT fail if left there as the tester pointed out to me why he had popped it off and left it on the passenger seat.
 Why cars Fail MOT - Westpig
>> As an aside, I recently scrapped my 14 year old Xantia. As far as I
>> can remember it never required a replacement bulb and it never failed an MOT.

I've owned my June 1999 Jag S Type since April 2002.

I've replaced one number plate bulb and one (of two) rear light bulbs and that's it on the bulb front.

I've not been anywhere near the exhaust, not any part of it. It has 81,000 miles on it and until last year sat outside all the time..is that usual nowadays?...15 years, with no replacement needed?

Last time I cleaned it, I noticed a slight rust bubble on the nearside front door, other than that it is absolutely rust free, inc underneath (I always wander underneath it at MOT time).
 Why cars Fail MOT - Slidingpillar
I've heard of a car failing its MOT due to an obstruction in the field of vision. Said obstruction was a MOT reminder sticker, placed on the screen last year by the same MOT garage.

May be a bit apocryphal though.
 Why cars Fail MOT - Falkirk Bairn
Neighbour's FRV failed last week because of front wipers.

Worst point was that it was @ at Honda Franchised Garage and they did not have replacement wipers in stock!!!!
 Why cars Fail MOT - Manatee
Mine passed its first on Tuesday, as expected. Advisory for rear disc rust though.

There is a big ding in the windscreen I thought they might pick up on. It's in the swept area, but I never see it as it's behind the mirror.

I used an MoT-only place, with no incentive to create work.
 Why cars Fail MOT - carmalade
Interestingly,the steering lock/gearshift lock operation is now part of the mot test.Why?
 Why cars Fail MOT - Alastairw
Well you wouldn't want the steering to lock while driving would you.
Actually the test is to make sure it engages when the key is removed.
 Why cars Fail MOT - Stuartli
It doesn't necessarily lock when the key is removed. You may/would have to turn the steering wheel a small amount to lock it - been the same on every car I've owned.
 Why cars Fail MOT - Old Navy
OK, just change carmalades when to if.
I am sure that the mot tester is very much aware of that fact.
 Why cars Fail MOT - Mike H
>> I've not been anywhere near the exhaust, not any part of it. It has 81,000
>> miles on it and until last year sat outside all the time..is that usual nowadays?...15
>> years, with no replacement needed?
>>
My Saab 9-5 has the original exhaust, at 10 years old and 208,000 miles. In terms of chronological age, it still has a way to go to match yours! OE exhausts seem to last much longer than non-manufacturer replacements.
Latest Forum Posts