Motoring Discussion > Eurotrip II Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave_ Replies: 21

Eurotrip II - Dave_
So I'm planning a summer holiday for myself and my son (who turns 7 on Tuesday). I'd like to do something memorable and fitting as a tribute to my Dad. Last year he and I had discussed in outline a road trip to Italy for 3 generations of boys to visit the manufacturers' museums and so on.

My son and I are both petrolheads (him more than me, if that's possible) so we'd both enjoy a trip with a motoring theme. I'm thinking 10-14 days, taking in museums / factory visits at Lamborghini, Ferrari and Ducati. Driving from Leicestershire in the 12-plate C-Class diesel estate, so reliability, economy, space and comfort are a given.

I'd like to visit the Vosges mountains (near Mulhouse - French/German/Swiss border) as I went there on a youth group holiday two decades ago. The "Italian Job" mountain passes appeal too. Eurodisney on the way back as a treat for the boy. Does the panel have any suggestions for worthwhile diversions / recommended destinations or hotels along the way? We'd be going mid-late August.

All suggestions gratefully recieved.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Sun 30 Mar 14 at 23:15
 Eurotrip II - No FM2R
I haven't got any helpful suggestions, just wanted to say good on you for doing it.

I did a trip with my Father when I was about 8 or so. Not the most successful trip ever, as it turned out, but it remains a very fond memory.
 Eurotrip II - Armel Coussine

>> I'd like to visit the Vosges mountains (near Mulhouse - French/German/Swiss border) as I went there on a youth group holiday two decades ago.

Vosges are great, but climate can be a bit bracing even in summer. But very beautiful landscapes.

Mulhouse has weird memories for me. We stayed in a cheap hotel in the Arab quarter that turned out to be a transvestite cabaret as well. 'Did you see that girl making eyes at you in the bar, Dad?' asked my London-hipster 15-year -old daughter. Didn't have the heart to tell her that, er, that wasn't a girl actually...
 Eurotrip II - ....
Since you're planning things on the French side for your return part of the trip, a trip to CERN in Geneva for the inner Geek.

On the way down Stuttgart for Mercedes/Porsche and maybe Munich for BMW world.
 Eurotrip II - IJWS14
You might want to consider this while in Mulhouse.

www.citedelautomobile.com
 Eurotrip II - Boxsterboy
If you're going to Disney you might want to consider the following?:

1. Drive into and around Paris (always fun) and go up the Eiffel Tower - it's much easier and cheaper to park than in London, and maybe take a Batteau Mouche boat trip form the nearby dock?

2. Near the entrance to the Davy Crockett Disney Hotel there is a 'Go-Ape' style zip-wire park that kids love.
 Eurotrip II - neiltoo
Last time we drove to Italy, we spent three nights at Colmar, just a few miles North of Mulhouse. Spent one day in the town, and another driving around the many beautiful towns and villages in the region.
Strongly recommend.
We had wanted to do Strasburg, but on our dates it was full of MEPs!
 Eurotrip II - Bromptonaut
Dave,

Have you considered camping? The boy should be old enough to enjoy it but appreciate you'd need to invest several hundred squid in the kit - unless you have it already. Tent needs enough space to sit in and (fire warnings noted) cook in. Plenty of decent sites in the Vosges and further north into Alsace.

If you prefer hotels the Logis de France guide www.logishotels.com/en/map-search.html is a good starting point for places to stay for a few days.

How are you going to tackle the car journey from home to Jura and vv? With a youngster and only one driver you'll probably need an overnight between the Channel and Jura 7hrs driving from Calais to Mulhouse. While travelling the B&B chain are much better than Formule 1 - www.hotel-bb.com/en/home.htm. Most are out of town in commercial zones but have decent eateries nearby. French chain restaurants such as Courtepaille and Buffalo Grill do reasonable food and kids menus.

BB also have a place in central Mulhouse which is convenient and comfortable but more characterful stops are available.

Plenty of attractions in the Jura and further north into Alsace. Agree Colmar is worth a visit as are some of the wine villages. The Col de Schluct en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Col_de_la_Schlucht is home to the best luge d'ete ride I've ever been on. At 7 the lad's probably too young to go solo but but being piloted down by Dad would be a thrill and a half. Lots of decent walks too such as the Grand Ballon and around the Lac de Corbeau. The Montagne de Singes near Haut Konigsbeg is worth a visit as are several centres showcasing the Storks, Beavers and other wildlife. Worth nipping over into Germany as well.

He may be bit young for WW1/WW2 stuff but there is plenty of history too including sites along the Maginot line.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 31 Mar 14 at 11:03
 Eurotrip II - Roger.
Concur re BB chain.
Only slightly more expensive than F1, but have the benefit of a basic en-suite bathroom.
Never did like trying to find the bogs in an F1 in the middle of the night!
>> Concur re BB chain.
>> Only slightly more expensive than F1, but have the benefit of a basic en-suite bathroom.
>> Never did like trying to find the bogs in an F1 in the middle of
>> the night!

My friend Graham maintains F1 are also used as trade premises by those offering professional help with sex life. He illustrates this tale with a graphic imitation of the sound coming through the paper thin walls.

Other great advantage with BB, though it won't affect Dave, is they do family rooms for four.

And if they can offer free wi-fi why do Travelodge charge a rip off £10/night for a single device connection??
 Eurotrip II - Dave_
Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I'd forgotten about the Cité de l'Automobile in Mulhouse, that's definitely going on the list as it's in Bugatti country. The Eiffel Tower also looks tempting.

I'd already thought about going via Germany but that's almost another holiday in itself with Munich, Stuttgart and Nurburgring all possibilities. I don't want to cram too much in and not take the time to savour the scenery, there will be plenty of opportunities to explore further afield in the future.

I want to avoid turning it into a busman's holiday with 4-5 hours' driving each day; I'd rather confine the long-distance stuff to a couple of days at each end with some quality relaxation time in the middle. I don't mind driving hundreds of miles in one go, and neither does the boy - he occasionally comes out in the lorry with me and takes 12-hour days in his stride. We drove to the Hebrides when he was 5 and he chattered non-stop for the whole 420 miles.

I will have a tent by the summer, as I'm going to a few events with friends where camping is the only option. Which tent to choose and what kit to put in it, that's a whole other thread... For this trip, although I'll bring the tent anyway, I'm intending to stay in hotels because they have showers and bars and proper beds.
 Eurotrip II - Zero
I more or less did your trip about 5 years back. England, Mulhouse, Switz, Northern italy, (lake Garda) taking in the Stelvio pass and visiting the Mille Miglia museum (worth the trip in itself)
Camp sites have showers and bars.

While the beds in BB hotels are comfortable I much prefer my sub £20 canvas camp bed to the PVC mattresses in a Formule 1 hotel.

Here's one example for a site :

www.flowercampings.com/en/campsite-vosges-alsace-champagne/camping-l-oasis/book/

And for a bed;

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-4-leg-camping-bed-p143629
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 31 Mar 14 at 20:30
 Eurotrip II - jc2
Moto Guzzi museum is interesting too.
 Eurotrip II - neiltoo
Owe took this route into Italy last time:

Tunnel to Calais, then E40 into Belgium towards Bruges, then Brussels.

Free motorways in Belgium, but the worst drivers in Europe!

Taking care around Brussels (We got lost after taking the wrong exit) follow the E411/E25 to Luxemburg. Fill up here - Luk was the cheapest fuel in Europe then.

E21 t0 Metz and Nancy, (Free Mway) then N59 to Colmar - very pleasant, but slower route.

After Colmar, take the E25 towards Mulhouse, but to avoid Basle, turn off at the Mulhouse junction on

Take the turn off just before Basel to Lorrach and continue into Switzerland that way. Its a good road all the way - mainly dual carriageway - and it only took 10 minutes to 'do the checks' to enter Switzerland and 15 to leave. You end up on the Swiss motorway about 1km East of the turn to Lucerne.
 Eurotrip II - neiltoo
Sorry, missed the edit!

We took this route into Italy last time:

Tunnel to Calais, then E40 into Belgium towards Bruges, then Brussels.

Free motorways in Belgium, but the worst drivers in Europe!

Taking care around Brussels (We got lost after taking the wrong exit) follow the E411/E25 to Luxemburg. Fill up here - Lux was the cheapest fuel in Europe then.

E21 to Metz and Nancy, (Free Mway) then N59 to Colmar - very pleasant, but slower route.

After Colmar, take the E25 towards Mulhouse, but to avoid Basle, turn off at the Mulhouse junction on A36 across the Rhine to Germany. Turn South on E35.

Take the turn off just before Basel to Lorrach (route 98) and continue into Switzerland that way. Its a good road all the way - mainly dual carriageway - and it only took 10 minutes to 'do the checks' to enter Switzerland and 15 to leave. You end up on the Swiss motorway about 1km East of the turn to Lucerne.

Go towards Basle, but quickly take the E25 to Lucerne.

At Lucerne follow E35 for Lugano which takes you over the St Gotthard Pass – or the tunnel if its foggy – Pass is a superb route.

Carry on to Lugano, Bellinzona and Como.

Route is toll free until Italy, but you need a Swiss Motorway vignette, which you can get online from:

rail.stc.co.uk/vignette.html
 Eurotrip II - Dave_
That, neiltoo, is fantastic. Thank you :)
 Eurotrip II - Ted

Dave, We did Neil's route on the bikes, stopping at the Ibis in Nancy. Why not start and finish with a mini cruise, Hull/Zebrugge. Not too bad from where you live....better than getting tangled up in the South East.

I bet the lad would like sleeping in a cabin. You get off the ship at about 8am after a good breakfast and you're frsh with a full day ahead of you.

Oh....and go in the Morgan !
 Eurotrip II - Dave_
>> Oh....and go in the Morgan !

I'm not familiar enough with the car to tackle a cross-Europe trip yet, I may try that in a year or two. I need to learn its foibles properly first :)

Chris Evans is declaring tomorrow National Classic Car Day for Children In Need, are you taking the Jowett out? I hope to get back from work before dark to go for a blast, but you can never predict how a Friday will go.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 20:10
 Eurotrip II - legacylad
When you come to sourcing a tent might I recommend you buy a second hand Hilleberg off flea bay. Various models available and always saleable if you decide later that camping is not for you. I walked through the Vosges on the GR5 several years ago. Expect the odd heavy downpour, which is why a good tent , albeit pre owned, is desirable.
 Eurotrip II - Ted

Wish I could, David. It's sat in the garage up on stands with it's engine in but not connected up yet. The Beta Blockers I'm on give me freezing cold hands so I've had no encouragement to do anything outside really.

Now it's getting a bit warmer I've been thinking about it more. At least it won't need an MOT !
 Eurotrip II - Dave_
Well I've only just got home (blame the Friday night M1 holiday traffic) so no point in going out for a blast now; no-one'll see me!

I did spot a Ferrari 250 GT SWB on the A41 in Hendon this afternoon, and a 1930s Bentley Blower heading south near Northampton. Proper cars.

Thanks for the tent advice LL, I'll have a look over the weekend.
Latest Forum Posts