Motoring Discussion > Lucky escapes? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 10

Lucky escapes? - Runfer D'Hills
When I was 17, I wanted a Bond Bug. I never did get around to it although I did nearly and I'm probably glad I didn't.

What have you coveted or even come close to buying which in retrospect would have been a mistake?
 Lucky escapes? - RattleandSmoke
I have bought so many mistakes it is a bit impossible for me to answer! When I first passed I did see an offer for a brand new Clio Campus for £5995, I wish I had bought one of them now, it would be 6 years old now but would have saved me a fortune that I lost on that Corsa.

I did nearly buy another Corsa of a local trader however after I paid the deposit I was hearing bad things about him, I went round to the garage to show my dad the car I had 'bought' and the garage owner was revving it and I noticed lots of water coming out of the exhaust. The joke in the local trade seems to be that all the local garage owners are in business fixing the cars he sells.

Cannot beat a Bong Bug though!
 Lucky escapes? - Runfer D'Hills
I imagine Lud will agree with you.
 Lucky escapes? - Bromptonaut
Like the OP the Bond Bug was lusted after but best avoided as was the Honda N600.

I also doubt a five door Peugeot 104S, albeit a true four seater, would have been any less trouble than the 3 door 2+2 104ZS for which it would have been a putative replacement.
 Lucky escapes? - No FM2R
>>I imagine Lud will agree with you.

I thought that was amusing. Or did I imagine the oblique link?
 Lucky escapes? - Crankcase

>> I thought that was amusing. Or did I imagine the oblique link?

If you did I imagined it too. And if two people imagine something, why it's real, isn't it?

Lucky escapes? - Armel Coussine
>> If you did I imagined it too.

Damned if I did. Do stop going on at poor Humph for making a typo.
 Lucky escapes? - Robin O'Reliant
>> When I was 17, I wanted a Bond Bug. I never did get around to
>> it although I did nearly and I'm probably glad I didn't.
>>
>> What have you coveted or even come close to buying which in retrospect would have
>> been a mistake?
>>

Same as you Runfer, a Bond Bug. They looked so much more cool than the Reliant I was driving round on my bike licence.
 Lucky escapes? - bathtub tom
The Bond 875 was much better.

Reliant only bought the name because they realised the 875 was so superior (so I was told).

I did hanker after a messerschmitt KR200 and a Berkeley T60.
 Lucky escapes? - Armel Coussine
I never fancied any 3-wheeler with the single wheel and engine at the front. Any fool can see it's an unsound chassis principle.

Morgan or BSA with the single wheel at the back is another matter. Actually the BSA 3-wheeler had FWD. Rather odd I thought.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 31 Mar 14 at 23:49
 Lucky escapes? - sherlock47
ctually the BSA 3-wheeler had FWD. Rather odd I thought.

I regularly had a lift to college in one of those in 1966 - from what I recall the brakes were best described as a 'one-time use feature'. Save them for the real emergency only. Avoidance by steering was the method for a London commute.
Latest Forum Posts