Motoring Discussion > eejit Biker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 34

eejit Biker - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26848603
 eejit Biker - Harleyman
Pillock. Hopefully he'll end up in court for dangerous driving.

Irks the hell out of me that a stupid minority tries to ensure that the public end up convinced that we all ride like muppets.
 eejit Biker - Ted

One of my Sunday runs. Now a 50 limit all the way 'cos of these idiots !
 eejit Biker - NortonES2
Agreed. Not a dangerous road (except in fog, ice and snow) so we all have to trundle along. Gets irksome when drivers dribble along at 40 or less. Just getting past may trigger the camera(s), which record instant speeds as well as average.
 eejit Biker - Manatee
It would have been more accurate to say it was a road that attracted dangerous drivers/riders, as shown in the video.

Reminds of the A9 - I think it's a great road, but statistically it's "dangerous". I suspect there's some misuse of statistics going on too.

goo.gl/FVaqJn

(heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/inside-track-why-the-deadly-a9-
is-not-scotlands-most-dangerous-road)
 eejit Biker - R.P.
I was overtaken by an idiot yesterday....Double white lines weren't for him obviously.....seriously thinking of putting my Go-Pro in the van's windscreen.
 eejit Biker - Runfer D'Hills
'Go-Pro'... That sounds like one of those, ahem, Italian roadside facilitators !
 eejit Biker - R.P.
:-)

Or should that be facilitatrix? These things worry me.
 eejit Biker - No FM2R
>>Or should that be facilitatrix?

3rd one down....

ssestonia.blogspot.com/2007/04/hay-una-muy-buena-tira-comica-americana.html
Obliged once again. A weight off my mind thanks.
 eejit Biker - Baz
Why would anyone want to incriminate themselves by going public with a video clip of himself overtaking on double whites? Eejit is indeed the word! The losing of it on the bend was arguably mis-judgement/inexperience but the overtaking on double whites is indefensible! What a plonker!
 eejit Biker - Armel Coussine
I'm not a biker, but the overtake over double whites looked OK to me. They can be crossed safely even by cars.

Running wide on the subsequent bend was a very big error. But at least the biker had the sense to go to the right of the oncoming car at risk to his own neck alone. He was lucky not to be badly injured. Some would have tried to stay on the road killing both drivers perhaps.
 eejit Biker - Boxsterboy
Double whites = mo overtaking. So you cannot say that they can be crossed safely at those speeds. Pulling past a slow cyclist, yes. But overtaking a fast motorbike, no.
 eejit Biker - legacylad
Apart from the inopportune oncoming car it was no big deal. Happens daily where I live. Often several bikers at a time overtaking me on DWs. And I'm driving at the NSL and a bit. I'm constantly surprised there aren't more prangs.
 eejit Biker - Zero
>> Apart from the inopportune oncoming car it was no big deal.

That he nearly sliced in two!
 eejit Biker - No FM2R
On the one hand I think that what the biker did was irresponsible, misguided and could have had serious consequences.

On the other hand, a world without risk and occasional irresponsibility, without mistakes and without "wild" people is probably not somewhere I want to live.

How do you learn and grow at anything without sometimes overstepping the mark and potentially crashing and burning?

But if you're going to crash and burn, then there is risk, both to you and those around you.
 eejit Biker - R.P.
His road-positioning is all wrong throughout the clip....he needs Bikesafe before he dies.
 eejit Biker - swiss tony
>> His road-positioning is all wrong throughout the clip....he needs Bikesafe before he dies.
>>

Watching this may help him too... youtu.be/Vr-Wqs37Ug4
 eejit Biker - Harleyman
>> Double whites = mo overtaking. So you cannot say that they can be crossed safely
>> at those speeds. Pulling past a slow cyclist, yes. But overtaking a fast motorbike, no.
>>

Specifically;

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

Which would include a roadsweeper but not a farm tractor.
 eejit Biker - Fullchat
Classic target fixation. Bit fast round the bend, positioning wrong, saw the car and drove towards it. If he'd leant it in a bit more could probably have got round.
 eejit Biker - Fenlander
I was the car driver in similar scenario about 30yrs ago when pushing on myself along similar roads in a Saab 99 Turbo. Biker in my case was trying desperately to keep to his side of the road.

In a fraction of a second I realised he couldn't bank any more to tighten his line and was heading for the middle of my grille with an initial closing speed of 150mph+. So I dumped as much speed as possible until all wheels were locked (pre abs) then let the brakes off to get steering and pulled halfway over his side of the road to allow him to stay on the tarmac and pass on my nearside.

Closest I've been to involvement in a likely fatal.

He stopped in shock and I reversed back to him issuing a rather (in retrospect) pathetic telling off along the lines of what could have happened.

He was an American serviceman which explained the inability to do corners.
>> you cannot say that they can be crossed safely at those speeds. Pulling past a slow cyclist, yes. But overtaking a fast motorbike, no.

That overtake looked fine to me, safe as houses. On a dry road with a good driver a sporting sort of motor bike is a very athletic vehicle with near F1 standards of acceleration and braking. It's just that a serious loss of adhesion invariably results in a fall, with a badly scraped and bent bike and rider at best, whereas in a car there's always the possibility of recovery.

As a rule unbroken double whites are in sensible places where it is dangerous to nip past something. But there are other places where an alert driver can safely cross them, making progress at the cost of a trivial technical offence.

Most drivers aren't alert though, and make ridiculously heavy weather even of passing a cyclist or tractor when the opportunity arises. They are hypnotised by the ostensible legal status of the double white line and so miss most of their chances. Always seems a bit sad to me.
 eejit Biker - Westpig
>> a sporting sort of motor bike is a very athletic vehicle with near
>> F1 standards of acceleration and braking.

Acceleration 'yes', very much so. Braking 'no'. A quick bike's acceleration far outpaces its braking abilities.
 eejit Biker - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Acceleration 'yes', very much so. Braking 'no'. A quick bike's acceleration far outpaces its braking
>> abilities.
>>

Two tiny little contact patches gives even the sharpest road bike the braking ability somewhere round that of a Morris Marina.
 eejit Biker - Number_Cruncher
>>Two tiny little contact patches

As per usual, the size of the contact patch has little effect.

What limits the deceleration of a bike is the relative height of the centre of gravity, and the sortness of the wheelbase. i.e., unlike a car, the deceleration of a bike is not (usually) limited by the grip between the tyre and a dry road. Usually, you'll be over the bars long before the wheel locks up.
Point taken Wp... I suppose the same could be said about that silly Lamborghini in the other thread though, or an F1 car come to that. Nevertheless I insist that a sporting bike has very considerable braking abilities, having once feared that I was going to slide up the driver's back and land in the road in front of the bike when a helpless pillion passenger going down a steepening hill at the end of a straight, doing close to 100, with a tightening left-hander just coming into sight... the nutter was local and knew the road, and he loved his BSA Gold Star 500, but he did scare me a bit. Nice cat, a colleague in the building-labourer profession.
 eejit Biker - Westpig
>> Nevertheless I insist that
>> a sporting bike has very considerable braking abilities

Put it this way.

When I used to get well out of London and find a decent 'A' road to get rid of some aggression and give the bike a good blast...if it had been a while since I'd done it, I had to actively remind myself that a 10 car overtake (or more) was more than reasonable in acceleration..but..wasn't necessarily so when you had to slow down for the next hazard.

The acceleration of the thing is absolutely unreal....

......the braking sadly, is not.....although it's good for what it is, being Honda and well maintained with an insistence of only using quality parts.

...(carburettored Honda Blackbird, with a dyno jet kit, K&N air filter and after market sports exhausts, for anyone interested).
 eejit Biker - Boxsterboy
>> That overtake looked fine to me, safe as houses ... They are hypnotised by the ostensible legal status of
>> the double white line and so miss most of their chances. Always seems a bit
>> sad to me.
>>

OK, so first bend he overtakes on double whites. Factually against the law and hardly 'trivial' if you get 3 more points and a consequential ban.

Second bend, displaying the same attitude to those pesky laws he goes wide and crashes (luckily not injuring the innocent oncoming car driver).

Of course all of us here are such good drivers/riders that we would be able to break the law and handle the situation. Of course we would! We don't need trivial laws getting in our way!

>> Of course all of us here are such good drivers/riders that we would be able to break the law and handle the situation.

I doubt it. Opportunities are rare and we are all inhibited by double white lines. That's why we are usually so law-abiding and cautious.

eejit Biker - VxFan
A biker who uploaded a film of a high speed ride in which he almost crashed head-on into a car has been found guilty of dangerous driving.

Sanderson, of Mobberley in Cheshire, is due to be sentenced next week.

The landowner is seeking £1,000 in compensation from Sanderson for damage to his fence.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28856485
 eejit Biker - Alastairw
£1000 seems to be the standard compensation demand from farmers round here. Between 5 parents it cost us the same to pay for one of those round hay bales that my lad had helped to destroy.
 eejit Biker - R.P.
I was in full control until I hit the fence"

Hahahahahahahaha ! Of course you were you prune.
 eejit Biker - Fursty Ferret
>> £1000 seems to be the standard compensation demand from farmers round here. Between 5 parents
>> it cost us the same to pay for one of those round hay bales that
>> my lad had helped to destroy.
>>

You were ripped off, my parents buy them for £40 each. The posh stuff too, haylage wrapped in clingfilm. Waitrose for horses, basically.
 eejit Biker - Alastairw
Oh I know I have been ripped off. But the alternative was a criminal record (the bale was destroyed by fire, so it would have been arson) for my son, and as he now needs a CRB check it was probably money well spent. I will never let him forget that he 'owes' me though.
Latest Forum Posts