Motoring Discussion > "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution Green Issues
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 17

"Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Dulwich Estate
From the BBC website today:

"Switch off your car's air conditioning. Because many cars' air inlets are to the front, exhaust fumes from the vehicle ahead are often sucked inside and circulated, says David Newby, professor of Cardiology at the University of Edinburgh. "If you measure the number of particles inside the car, it's often higher than on the outside," he adds. "The better thing to do is wind your window down."

Right or wrong ?

Right if you have no A/C, but otherwise I think wrong.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Armel Coussine
Some A/C and ventilation systems have quite effective particle filters, others don't. I would agree though that having those on and the windows closed in dense slow traffic is worse than having the windows open.

Basically if there's a lot of Sahara dust, pollen, exhaust etc. in the air you simply have to breathe them in along with it. Of course you could wear industrial dust filter masks like citizens of Tokyo or Beijing when the pollution gets oppressive. You can see they work up to a point because they take on colour.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - neiltoo
Best to leave AC on, with the windows closed, but set to recirculate and not fresh air.

This filters the air repeatedly, which is slowly replaced by door seal leakage - admittedly much less now than it used to be.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Wed 2 Apr 14 at 15:15
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Dog
>>set to recirculate

I'm with ^this^ Giza.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Lygonos
Unless you have flatulence issues.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - bathtub tom
I've not seen a modern car with a/c that doesn't have a filter. At least it's filtering incoming air, something an open window can't do.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Dog
Why d'you have to pick on vegetarians all the time!

:}
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - madf
And exhaust fumes from modern cars - especially petrol - are often cleaner due to catalysts than the surrounding air - no sand for a start.

The advice in my view is bull excrement.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - No FM2R
>>The advice in my view is bull excrement.

Indeed.

Mierda de Toro.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Cliff Pope
>> And exhaust fumes from modern cars - especially petrol - are often cleaner due to
>> catalysts than the surrounding air - no sand for a start.
>>

What do catalysts do with the sand then? Are we meant to remove them periodically and tip the sand out?
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Slidingpillar
If the sand has got that far, there'll be a lot of extra wear in the engine!
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - rtj70
I saw the news this morning about pollution etc. I was in London for a few days and can't say I thought it was bad today....

And as an attempt to deviate from the thread's intended topic, I was also in London last Tuesday. And it's interesting/amusing to see what Google Now suggests I might be interested in. Invasive technology?
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Baz
About 10 million people smoke cigarettes in Britain and about half of them will die from it - say 5 million. And the media is bleating on about a bit of dust in the air.....they must be short of stories.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Slidingpillar
My mum was a nurse at various London childrens hospitals in the 50s. She recounts the smog being so bad you could not even see the ward clock indoors - let alone what time it showed.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Armel Coussine
Plus, these palls of dust and fumes, which used to be much worse when factories ran on coal and were called smog, cause acute health problems in those with existing lung damage from smoking, working in blast furnaces and brick kilns and gasworks and things, and just living in industrial cities. There are many such, not all victims of their own neurotic greed and self-indulgence, and of course the tobacco industry, as smokers are.

Was in a three day sandstorm in the Sahara once. The wind stung your face and your eyelids were gritty (as mine are now, a bit). You couldn't see thirty yards in broad daylight half the time. The desert children loved it, skipping laughingly from tent to tent like Asian nippers in a tropical downpour. But it was real weather. After half an hour your scalp was caked with sand under your hair and when you blew your nose or spat what came out was sort of chocolate coloured. Even the desert blokes, who make a point of not overreacting to stuff, admitted it was a fairly bad one.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Alanovich
>> My mum was a nurse at various London childrens hospitals in the 50s. She recounts
>> the smog being so bad you could not even see the ward clock indoors -
>> let alone what time it showed.
>>

That's exactly why my grandparents moved out of Fulham to Windsor in the 1950s. Two asthmatic children couldn't cope with it in town.

This current story is an utter load of nancified nonsense.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Zero

>> That's exactly why my grandparents moved out of Fulham to Windsor in the 1950s. Two
>> asthmatic children couldn't cope with it in town.
>>
>> This current story is an utter load of nancified nonsense.

Correct, its just been bigged up to make news. Green Party tart jumped on the bandwagon telling boris he had to ban car and lorries in London, but couldn't understand how that wouldn't stop northern european pollution and saharan dust from entering the capital.
 "Expert" view on how to cope with high pollution - Dave_
I heard that we had a worse air pollution event about 6 weeks ago, but the government has recently changed their air quality information supplier from an unknown company to the Met Office, who produce pretty coloured maps which the media have jumped on with glee.

I wonder how many of today's reported extra 999 calls wouldn't have been made if there had been no mention of air quality in the media this week?
Latest Forum Posts