Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 23

Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - legacylad
In a previous thread I have been asked to buy a cheap runaround for my gf's daughter. She flies into the UK this Sat to give birth to her first child, hubby will fly over later for 3 weeks, and the car must be cheap to insure, practical, but above all reliable as the new family will be covering long distances visiting friends throughout the land!
I have advertised locally and had a call from an elderly gent offering his 03 Zafira dual fuel.130k miles, MOT and tax due end of April. Tyres ok. One owner with full history at local Peugeot garage (the only dealer in our small town). He takes delivery of his new car tomorrow and wants a decision now!
Asking price £1000. Much easier decision if it had at least 4 months T&T as they fly back home to the land of azure seas in August.
Anything I should look out for, or opinions please? Many thanks.

Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - Runfer D'Hills
For a thousand quid, if it has a long MOT and tax and a reasonable service history and it looks and drives ok it's got to be worth a go.

Size is ideal.

Edit - just re-read the bit about THE MOT....

:-(

double edit - tell him if he gets it through an MOT you'll give him the asking?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 10:20
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - VxFan
>> Anything I should look out for,

Make sure the spare wheel hasn't been stolen. Check to see if it's got an anti-theft device fitted to slow down any potential thieves from stealing it.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - Zero
they are, on the whole, reliable solid workhorses. Plenty of old ones still pounding up and down the roads with hundreds of kids and dogs hanging out the windows.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 10:50
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - Number_Cruncher
It's the "dual fuel" that would put me off. A system not without problems, and there aren't many people who can mend them.
Having spoken to the vendor, the LPG tank (factory fitted Bi Fuel model) goes where the spare wheel used to go, but he paid for a full size spare and has two keys. I thought it was diesel but it's a petrol. Silly me. Why have LPG as dual fuel with diesel. Doh.
Going for a look this afternoon ... Lucky it's my day off work.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - martin aston
Most Zafiras have a cambelt (I think only 2.2 is chain) so you will want to check whether it has a belt and when it was last changed. It sounds a potentially good buy if the MOT can be addressed before purchase. Good luck.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - VxFan
>> Most Zafiras have a cambelt (I think only 2.2 is chain)

The diesels also have chains.

Recommended change interval for all belt 16v petrol engines between 1997 and 2002 was 4 yrs or 40,000 miles (whichever is sooner).

2003/4 = 6 yrs or 60,000 miles, except Z20LET engine which is still 4 yrs/40,000 miles.

2005 = 6 yrs or 60,000 miles, except Z20LET engine which is 8 yrs/80,000 miles.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 14:08
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - carmalade
These are most definitely a good solid purchase ,if it is clean and tidy and either the 1.6 or 1.8 ecotec engines.Avoid the 2.2 petrol,loads of timing chain issues.If the dual fuel system is not working,don't bother to try to get it fixed.It may be a factory fit,but it is not made by GM.The Zafira A model is certainly more reliable than the later B model from 2005.
Just seen a 2005 Jazz on AT £2250. High miles but long T&T, one owner. FSH at a main dealer.
Overpriced , been told little movement on price, but recent major service and sounds and looks like a good un.
No idea on reliability with the Jazz but if the Zafira is no good it may prove ok, although there is a good case for buying the Jazz as it is newer and has a sunroof (one of my weak points).
Jazz?

Too wee or not too wee, that is the question.
Reminds me. An elderly chap contacts the incontinence clinic to make an appointment. Where are you ringing from sir asks the receptionist.
From the waist down he replies.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - spamcan61
The cambelt on SWMBO's latest Zaffy has just been changed at 102K, mechanic reckoned it was the original belt! 235 quid including belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump and labour.

Check all rear door electrics still work, as the leading edge of the rear doors eat through the loom in the gaiter at the bottom of the B pillar.

Looks like SWMBO's latest 1.8 has the relatively common ECU/immobiliser problem where it randomly decides to immobilise itself at startup or soon after. ho hum. Guess I was bound to buy a lemon eventually. no way you can check for this when buying tho.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - Westpig
>> offering his 03
>> Zafira dual fuel.130k miles, MOT and tax due end of April. Tyres ok. One owner
>> with full history at local Peugeot garage (the only dealer in our small town).

An '03' Zafira dual fuel 1.6 'Club' with 130,000 miles = £475 Trade and £1745 Retail (I checked on the cheapest model).

To get it to Retail standard would cost a service and MOT and anything else wrong with it put right.

He will have been offered £300 - £400 from the main dealer, max.

Chance your arm and offer low, then keep quiet..he who speaks first loses.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - ToMoCo
>> He will have been offered £300 - £400 from the main dealer, max.

Possibly, or maybe he's overpaying on the new car and was offered a 'can't resist' £800 for a car everyone else was offering peanuts for.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - RattleandSmoke
With so little MOT they are selling it for a reason, people are not stupid they know if it just needed a little bit of work to pass they would get it through.

Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - mikeyb
Not sure I would chance a grand on something with almost no MOT

It may be fine, but would want to know why he is now getting a new car. As Rats said, people change for a reason
Zafira not bought.
The search continues.
How hard can it be to find a decent mid size hatch realistically priced for a private sale? Obviously too hard. Even my pal values his 03 307 Hdi after a hard life, knocks and dents with 75k miles at £2500.
Depending on your attitude to risk, I guess you could go to an auction. Theory being that provided whatever you buy doesn't break in the few months it's needed you ought at least get your money back in a private sale.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - RichardW
Bottom end prices have gone up - but 2.5k for that is too much - the one I just bought is an 07 facelift one, with the later 1.6 HDi (*), in A1 condition was only £3100.

* which may or may not be a good thing - but then I like changing turbos. Really.
No time for an auction visit I'm afraid. Busy at work next two days and 'Grandma's Friend' has to source wheels by Monday night.
Otherwise he may become 'Grandma's ex Friend' and his free supply of Werthers might be terminated.
Just messing on AT just now. 2004 black 5 door Corsa 12 months MOT 100,000 miles 5 months tax £990 I think. Northwich though. Dealer.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - ToMoCo
Yes, too much for the 03 pug.

How about an old civic. Around a grand for something on 01/02 plate. Bulletproof, even with a patchy history and always a market for old Japanese stuff when you need to sell.
 Vauxhall Zafira A - A good buy or not? - Westpig
How about an 02 '52' plate Ford Focus 1.6 petrol, manual, Zetec, 113000 miles, silver with black cloth interior, very good service history (10 stamps in the book, last 3 at my brother's local garage), just had water pump and belt done, immaculate (apart from an old minor repair to a sill where the paint colour looks slightly different), 4 good tyres, MOT until Sept....£1300

Pictures could be sent, car in South Devon, could be delivered half way with negotiation on petrol costs...if interested ask a Mod for my e-mail address.
Last edited by: Westpig on Thu 3 Apr 14 at 22:40
Latest Forum Posts