Motoring Discussion > Unusual Sightings - Volume 23   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 100

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 24 *****

Odd, bad or just plain exotic...

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Jun 14 at 16:51

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Ted
Parked behind something in the disabled bay at the local post office. Can't remember the name on the back...something like Sevo/Sebo ? Black two seater hardtop with lifting doors hinged on the A post. G prefix plate...didn't look like a prat plate apart from being in an odd script. Any ideas ?

Youngish Indian lad...no blue badge....Grrrrr.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Apr 14 at 01:50

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Manatee
The definition of a prat plate, Shirley? Double prat for mucking about with spacing, letters and tactically placed fixing screws.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sera ?

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Zero
The Sera is a cult car, rare in the UK.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Manatee
So rare I don't think I've seen one. Right age though.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Alastairw
I quite like the Sera, and have seen one. Suspect its the same one Horace saw - can't be more than one in Greater Manchester

Yeah, thanks...Sera...defo.

What I meant was the plate wasn't speshul...just G XXX ABC...No attempt at a name or anything.
Didn't note the letters or I could have seen where it was registered.

Only 1 0n EBay...and that's a breaker.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Mike Hannon
There, I fixed it!

Seen in a town near me this afternoon...
tinyurl.com/o54qgtk

It was parked next to a skip!
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sat 12 Apr 14 at 16:19

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - bathtub tom
Has it got a passenger door, there seems to be an awful lot of daylight on the other side?

>>Has it got a passenger door, there seems to be an awful lot of daylight on the other side?<<

You can't see from the pic but the owner is actually sitting in it with the door open, fixing a seatbelt mounting - with guess what?!

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - hillman1
Caterham 7 towing a trailer on the A303 earlier :)

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Runfer D'Hills
Ah, that'll be the estate version !
 Wolsey 1100/1300 - Meldrew
Going through the North side of Peterborough on Thursday and saw an immaculate dark blue one of these on an F suffix late. I was amazed it had survivves as most 100s were rot boxes when new.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Fenlander
Thank goodness for that, thought you might be reporting a red Alfa taking the Eye roundabout with a little too much enthusiasm.

For all their faults and the grumbles of some folks against them I always likes the MG/Vanden Plas/Wolseley 1100/1300. Spent my formative years in The Cotswolds and they were everywhere being the blue rinse widow's car of choice.

Probably the MG was the best as the Wolseley had that rather plain facia and the Vanden Plas tried a bit too hard.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Fenlander
The week before there were 20-30 TVRs of all ages/types travelling south just off the A47 into the Fens... nice sight.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Roger.
I used to sell Austin 1100/1300 new! (In Catford, SE6, for London's Austin distributor, The Car Mart).
For their day they were a bit of a revelation. Part of my demo route was over a very rough bit of road, taken a t speed to demonstrate the suspension.
OTT: We had 4 salesmen at the branch and 3 of us, as our own car, had a Mini CooperS.
2 X 1071S (bog-standard) and mine was a 970S - very non-standard and quite quick.

In 1964 a friend of mine had a 1275cc Cooper. He used to pick me up for work and on a cold clear morning I could hear him turning off the main road, a mile away from where I lived - hooligan!

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Roger.
>> In 1964 a friend of mine had a 1275cc Cooper. He used to pick me
>> up for work and on a cold clear morning I could hear him turning off
>> the main road, a mile away from where I lived - hooligan!

One of my 1071S owning colleagues at the dealership was done by PC Plod for making excessive noise.
To his protestations that this, he was floored by the BIB asking "Could it have made less noise if the engine was not being revved so hard?"
"Of course it could."
"Righty-ho" says Plod "You're booked".
Last edited by: Pigs-Might-Fly on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 16:38

Wolsey 1100/1300 - sherlock47
I drove my fathers 1100 /1300 s in the mid/late 60s. Whilst most of the time they stuck to the road very effectively I can vividly remember 2 'incidents' where the car spontaneously lost control thro no specific action of the driver. No-one ever seem to get to the bottom of it. 2 different cars - I was driving one at 40 mph when it developed a 'snake' on a smooth straight dry road - I was lucky got it back before any oncoming traffic appeared. The other incident involved my brother as a passenger - 70 mph on a straight section of dry M1. Not as lucky - snaked, followed by a a multiple roll over. All 4 occupants walked away, the police comment was that this sometimes happens with 'these' cars.

Any one else with similar experience?

Never heard of one. Maybe some sort of imbalance of pressures in the hydrolastic suspension?

Wolsey 1100/1300 - bathtub tom
I recall being very impressed by these back in the '60s. I drove one that had just been fitted with these 'new fangled' Dunlop Groundhog tyres. That improved the ride/handling and particularly the braking dramatically - and they were still only crossplies.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Zero
>> I recall being very impressed by these back in the '60s. I drove one that
>> had just been fitted with these 'new fangled' Dunlop Groundhog tyres. That improved the ride/handling
>> and particularly the braking dramatically - and they were still only crossplies.

I wonder where Dunlop went wrong, because their 1980's SP Sports were positively lethal in the wet.

Yeah, I won't buy Dunlop any more. Thrown away too many for bulges and de-laminating.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - MD
I've mentioned before in the mists of time that an old school mate used to ride a Kwacker Z1 on cross plies. 0-60 3.2 seconds. Knee down and performed reckless manoeuvres with it and still lived to tell the tale. Mind you how he did it I'll never know.

>> I've mentioned before in the mists of time that an old school mate used to
>> ride a Kwacker Z1 on cross plies. 0-60 3.2 seconds. Knee down and performed reckless
>> manoeuvres with it and still lived to tell the tale. Mind you how he did
>> it I'll never know.

I rode a 'bike fitted with Dunlop triangles in the '60s, which were a revelation in those days. I'm sure ten years development would have been even more impressive.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - madf
>> I drove my fathers 1100 /1300 s in the mid/late 60s. Whilst most of the
>> time they stuck to the road very effectively I can vividly remember 2 'incidents' where
>> the car spontaneously lost control thro no specific action of the driver. No-one ever seem
>> to get to the bottom of it. 2 different cars - I was driving one
>> at 40 mph when it developed a 'snake' on a smooth straight dry road -
>> I was lucky got it back before any oncoming traffic appeared. The other incident involved
>> my brother as a passenger - 70 mph on a straight section of dry M1.
>> Not as lucky - snaked, followed by a a multiple roll over. All 4 occupants
>> walked away, the police comment was that this sometimes happens with 'these' cars.
>>
>> Any one else with similar experience?
>>

Yes in a MG1300 - my father's. (eek!)

I suspect the hydrospastic delayed reacting on a slight curve (sticking ?) and then lurched.. and the driver corrected and that was it.. Driver correction too late..

Mine was on a road at 60mph in wildest wooliest Banffshire.. collected three fenceposts and a ploughed field..
Last edited by: madf on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 18:57

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Runfer D'Hills
There's a technique used in mountain biking which some of us call a 'stoppie turn'.

It involves getting hard on the front brake in order to cause the back wheel to lift enough to be able to kick the back end of the bike round without moving forward. Used mainly on tight forest trail descents where further forward motion in a given direction might involve getting too up close and personal with a tree.

Anyway, the point of all that drivel was to surmise that the front brakes or even just rapid deceleration on the 1100/1300s described might have been strong enough to 'unweight' the back end enough to allow it to swing around in the direction of any influencing force?

Lift off oversteer isn't it called?

Wolsey 1100/1300 - MD
>> It involves getting hard on.

Jeez, I read too quickly and had to re-read. Nearly spilt me soup....

I remember my incident and the location clearly. It was an absolutely straight level road, no opportunity for steering input or braking induced stability issues.

IIRC correctly there were some unexplained fatalies in similar circumstances and one suggestion was fuel spillage or similar directly on the rear tyre next to the filler cap. Google does not find anything.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 19:16

Wolsey 1100/1300 - R.P.
Didn't the Met Police say that that what caused a lot of their Metros to crash...fuel on the tyres ?

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Slidingpillar
Can't find any pics, but there were a few race Metros with flames by a rear wheel. Never heard of any in normal use doing it. My mum had one.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Zero
>> Can't find any pics, but there were a few race Metros with flames by a
>> rear wheel. Never heard of any in normal use doing it. My mum had one.

They were called HOT WHEELS - you set up a loopy loop on the carpet for them

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Skip
>> Didn't the Met Police say that that what caused a lot of their Metros to
>> crash...fuel on the tyres ?
>>
>>

Yes, fuel spillage was reckoned to be the cause of several accidents on the 3 door Metro. Initially a modified cap was used then the filler was moved up higher as on the 5 door. If anyone remembers those universal temporary fuel caps you could buy, they had a warning on them that they were not to be used on 3 door Metros. Yes I do know that I sound sad !!!!!
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 20:28

Posted by AC in another thread - by accident???

The Isssigonis BMC 1100-1300 had a comfortable ride but iffy handling under certain circumstances. It looked as if if would understeer reassuringly provided you kept your right foot hard down, and usually it did. But I was twice surprised by a characteristic that must have something to do with its weight distribution. Those rear hydrolastic units were heavy and may have made a difference.

First time was the first time I drove one, high as a kite, coming down the M1 towards London, doing 80+ in the outside lane round a very mild left bend in a light drizzle and lifting off slightly. The tail immediately, in a stately remorseless fashion, went out, and after wagging it a couple of times I realised the thing to do was come down hard on the power again, the bend being long past. That worked of course.

The other time I can't remember, but it was at lower speed and far less brown in the trouser area.

All other Issigonis cars I have driven, Mini, Maxi and especially 1800, have been impeccably predictable in their handling.

Interesting post because it somewhere near the 2 incidents that I recall. I am not sure that 'hard on the power' at 80+ would have much effect tho :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 20 Apr 14 at 18:48

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Armel Coussine
Thank you Sherlock. But the same general subject had been raised in the other thread, so it wasn't a mistake exactly.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Armel Coussine
>> I am not sure that 'hard on the power' at 80+ would have much effect tho :)

Heh heh... 80+ was pretty well flat, or even a bit over flat, in a standard 1100. But the difference between slight overrun and wide-open throttle was considerable: unstable with foot off and stable with it on. Now seems to me I was going too quickly for the circumstances. But that was pretty much the default mode in those days. Fortunately I never killed anyone or caused serious injury or destroyed a car utterly by doing that. Charmed life no doubt, combined of course with consummate instinctive skill.

:o}

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Stuartli
There was also the Riley Elf. I learned to drive in an Austin 1300 and passed my test in a Mini Cooper, a car I'd never driven until about an hour before the actual test.

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Ted
>> There was also the Riley Elf. I learned to drive in an Austin 1300 and
>> passed my test in a Mini Cooper, a car I'd never driven until about an
>> hour before the actual test.

Riley Elf was the Mini. Kestrel was the 1100/1300...This one looks nice, leather and walnut. Gentleman's carriage.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilfPFvDKIk
>>

Wolsey 1100/1300 - Dog
I bought the missus a 1300 auto Kestrel 40 years ago from a dealer crook in sowf lunden.

It was 'fool' of rust underneath (sub frame etc.) so I sold it on to my sister.

(*_*)

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Armel Coussine
Just now, out and about, a big thirties Railton open tourer, full four seater with a big folded hood.

Imposing, slightly flash motors that used Hudson straight eight engines in British built coachwork. They had ifs I think. Not a thoroughbred at all, more a lounge lizard's cruiser, but would now pass for a nice old car. Bet it guzzles juice though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 24 Apr 14 at 21:44

>> thirties Railton open tourer, full four seater with a big folded hood.

>> Imposing, slightly flash motors that used Hudson straight eight engines in British built coachwork

They weren't all big garish toadmobiles like the one I saw yesterday. They had different bodies and there was at least one extremely pretty lightweight barchetta thingy with minimalist slightly flared fixed wings...

They would have been reliable too compared to real Vintage-style thoroughbreds with gear-driven overhead camshafts and carp like that.

Jensen used the same formula later. They are (quite) nice motors too. All gas guzzlers not for the fainthearted.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Robin O'Reliant
Seen in Haverfordwest this afternoon while I was queuing at a roundabout, a bright yellow Skoda Octavia estate, LHD French registered. Mavic decals in huge letters along the side, a huge multi-bike rack on the roof and more on the tailgate. It was one of the neutral service cars the French cycle component company supply for the Tour de France. I wonder what it was doing here, scouting the route of the opening stages of this year's Tour (Which starts in Yorkshire) and using a dodgy satnav, perhaps?

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Falkirk Bairn
Cycle racing in NI

Giro d’Italia 2014 in NI (Northern Ireland not to mistaken with Northern Italy) 9-11th May

www.nitb.com/BusinessSupport/2012-2014Events/GirodItalia2014.aspx

BIG complaints in NI about the millions spent on the Giro in terms of re-surfacing roads - many other roads are in a worse state but they are not part of the cycle race.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Giro d’Italia 2014 in NI (Northern Ireland not to mistaken with Northern Italy) 9-11th May
>>
>>
Aha, that would be it. I'd forgotten the Giro started in NI this year, obviously on their way the the ferry at Fishguard. Long as they remember to turn right at Rosslare and not left they'll make it.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - alfalfa
"BIG complaints in NI about the millions spent on the Giro in terms of re-surfacing roads - many other roads are in a worse state but they are not part of the cycle race."

No I haven't heard any of these "BIG" complaints over here, in fact lots of enthusiastic support for the event and since they stop at Dublin, I think a trip on the ferry to Fishguard seems unlikely.

alfalfa

>>"BIG complaints in NI about the millions spent on the Giro in terms of re-surfacing roads - many other roads are in a worse state but they are not part of the cycle race."<<

Same in France. A place on the TdF route is a guaranteed way of getting all the local roads repaired and everything on public view tarted up. Otherwise it's only the road to the Maire's house that gets any attention...

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Duncan
>> Same in France. A place on the TdF route is a guaranteed way of getting
>> all the local roads repaired and everything on public view tarted up. Otherwise it's only
>> the road to the Maire's house that gets any attention...
>>

Same in Surrey, if the local roads are on an Olympic cycle race route.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Mike H
I didn't have time to post at the time, but a couple of weeks ago I saw an Austrian-registered Ford 105E Anglia on the road locally (for the younger amongst us, the one with the reverse-slant rear window ;-)). I don't recall ever seeing one of those here in Austria or Germany before.
Last edited by: Mike H on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 14:59

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Roger.
I had one of those Angulars, in sea-foam green, as a company car when working for Lombank in about 1968.
They could be made to go very quickly: I remember Chris Craft's "orange peel" special cleaning up in saloon car racing in the day.

www.mikehaywardcollection.com/product/2500/chris-craft-ford-anglia-1650cc.htm#.U10cOyRZr3g

>> They could be made to go very quickly: I remember Chris Craft's "orange peel" special

Yes, eminently tweakable and with that terrific Ford gearbox. Even in standard trim they were no slouches, not at all, with that revvy short-stroke motor.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Mike H
My father had one for a short while, in pale nappy yellow, but it was only the very basic 997cc - looking back on it, I suppose it was reasonably nippy for its capacity. It got quicker the longer we kept it, as the weight of the car reduced due to the holes in the inner wing ;-)

Many years ago my neighbour repaired the strut towers of his 105E with glass fibre and flattened-out baked bean tins, all painted over. It passed an MoT too.

Spotted this morning, parked in the main street of our local town, a recent RR Phantom - the one with the butt-ugly front. I'm not sure if it was matt black or just filthy, but getting into it was a little guy with black hair slicked over one side and a toothbrush moustache.

WW2-era TV series are very popular over here and quite a few are filmed in this part of the world because the buildings haven't changed much in 70 years.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - R.P.
A J plated white Ford Sierra Cosworth Saloon....absolute minter. Being driven by an older guy in a flat cap (Not a hipster)....driven very sedately conforming to the letter of the speed limits...I think I would have been giving it beans.

Today out and about, a white Jaguar XK140 drophead. Driven though by a bloke in a flat cap. Tsk.

Back in the day I knew slightly a rather nasty man who had an identical car, but with a straight-through large bore exhaust that made a very loud noise. Enviable motor then and even now I suppose.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - NortonES2
AC, was it?

Walking through a hamlet not three miles from here in deepest France yesterday I spotted the long-dead remains of a car buried in undergrowth at the bottom of a hedge. I got as close as I could, bearing in mind the vegetation and the adders and discovered, to my surprise, that it was a Triumph 2000 or 2500. I'll never know the story...

In Italy last week, loads of Mk1 Pandas knocking about. Most of which seemed to be in reasonable condition. So rare to see them here now. In fact, subjectively anyway, every other car seemed to be a Panda of whatever vintage. Must surely be about the most common car there.

A friend who lives in Rome and who is in the sort of job which, were he UK based, you'd expect him to be driving something fairly flashy, uses an old Panda if it's cold or raining and a Harley Davidson the rest of the time.

I might be jealous, not sure about that, but I might.

In my experience of mountainous rural Italy the Panda (original) 4x4 is still the motor of choice.
In Switzerland, too, if you can't take out the Unimog.

In our younger, more spartan days, we used to drive our Mk1 Panda from Edinburgh to Switzerland or Italy most winters for skiing trips. It was only a fwd but it coped fine.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Skip
>> In our younger, more spartan days, we used to drive our Mk1 Panda from Edinburgh
>> to Switzerland or Italy most winters for skiing trips. It was only a fwd but
>> it coped fine.
>>

Low weight, skinny tyres and good ground clearance - ideal in snow just like a Renault 4 or 2CV

This was posted elsewhere on the interweb thingmy, but I thought it warranted a showing here:

fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/10330383_626026137491539_1615043448550899406_n.jpg

scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10314591_626026130824873_1946704091321867740_n.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about it.

How cruel.

The Morgan 3 wheeler uses an MX5 gearbox and final drive - maybe where he got the idea?

>>The Morgan 3 wheeler uses an MX5 gearbox and final drive

Really? That's a clever trick.

;>)

>> Morgan 3 wheeler uses an MX5 gearbox

That maroon thing with the shiny alloy bonnet lid is a Morgan?

It looks capable.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Slidingpillar
Odd thing indeed, very heavy for a three wheeler.

The Morgan 5 speed three wheeler (ie the new one) uses a MX5 gearbox, but uses a Quaife bevel box to turn the drive through 90 degrees and then a belt final drive.

Venue for the photos looks like Curborough.

I stand corrected - I was right about the gearbox though.

>>Venue for the photos looks like Curborough.

Very probable. Later photo's were from there.

>> Odd thing indeed, very heavy for a three wheeler.

Modern materials, thin, might not be all that heavy surely? Twice the weight of an Aero perhaps, but twice the power too.

There's a wonderful spidery grace to those old Morgans, FNs and chain-drive Frazer Nashes, surviving descendants of the 1920s cyclecars.

There seem to be a lot of rich connoisseurs (or car dealers) living round here making me envious. Today, a red open vintage Lagonda, coming the other way in a bendy bit so didn't get a long enough look to say whether it was a 3 litre or a 4.5... I have a feeling I've seen it before.

Such cars are worth a king's ransom now. When I first started lusting after them they could be had for a few hundred quid. But I was an adolescent then as now and very poor. Boo hoo.

Went to the funeral of a guy I've been on a couple of bike trips with...only 66 yrs young. Very keen on bikes and old cars.

Eulogy mentioned that he's first seen his wife to be in a pub bending over a couple of crates of brown ale. he was instantly smitten...he'd never seen that much brown ale before ! I larfed !

The ' casket coach ' was an Armstrong Siddeley........probably a Star Sapphire. Nice. The event was at Chester crematorium......very new and state of the art. Looked like a branch of Lakeland !

Went in me mate's ' plumber's Bentley '....fast and powerful...but bland !

One big and one small motoring events on the Island - led to a veritable treasure trove of cars running about the Island. Saw a number of 60s and 70s cars all immaculate - the highlight was a a three car convoy of Triumph spots cars - Spitfire, Stag and Vitesse - all drop-tops. Random cars, a Mk2 Cortina and a S type Jag. On a twenty mile bimble saw 7 or 8 Porsches of various models and vintages including a brand spanker, mimising they were...lovely day here today. Porsches on the Prom in Llandudno tomorrow, not for me though...

Saw the red vintage Lagonda again today in a petrol station as I passed.

Otherwise, a few despicable mimsers. One wonders what some people think they are doing. All right, an annoyingly cautious 40 down a hill with a few bends in it. But to carry on at 40 when there's a half-mile straight in front of you seems perverse. I had to do a full-bore-in-third-or-fourth-with-a-single-dab-of-brakes past two of the carphounds with something coming the other way in between... by the time I wafted into the little town here below the limit they had vanished into the distance behind. Goddam rubbish.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 17 May 14 at 21:32

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - swiss tony
Whilst in Marlow today I saw.... a road legal sofa....

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - commerdriver
It has been around the town for a few years off and on, there was also a bed at one time, few interesting old cars as well in the park today including the nicest herald convertible I have seen in a long time. Very good afternoon in all.
Nice to see the park hadn't suffered from its bath a couple of months back

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - VxFan
>> Whilst in Marlow today I saw.... a road legal sofa....

Probably Edd China's creation. He lives not far from there - Maidenhead.

www.cummfybanana.com/

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - ToMoCo
Loads of old Capri's, Mini's and 911's going along the Motorway this morning, an old Humber (possibly a Hawk?), first one I spotted though was a Maestro, not sure if this was just chance or if it was part of whatever classic show the rest were obviously going to?

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Harleyman
A Rover 75 (the modern one) in pick-up guise. Not your average botch job by any means, looked quite tidy and useable.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Dog
>>A Rover 75 (the modern one)

The only one: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rover_75.jpg

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - rtj70
Like this:

www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/rover-75-pickup-t7639.html

Rear lights look a bit like from a VW Passat. Rear over hang looks a lot longer than a 75 would have been originally.

EDIT: reading down on my own link.... yep they are VW Passat lights. How sad am I for spotting that...? :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 20 May 14 at 23:57

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Harleyman
Not only like this, I'm pretty sure it's that very car. Neat conversion, anyway.

>> The only one:

I differ Perro. Old fifties 75 (with central foglight in some examples) was a very nice quiet gent's cruiser, with a silky inlet-over-exhaust straight six, thirsty and everlasting. Later developments with bigger engines, overdrive and so on were much the same.

I seem to remember they also had centralised chassis lubrication like a Rolls-Royce... you had to press a floor button every so many miles. Don't suppose many owners remembered... But perhaps it's a false memory. They did have the curious, virtually pointless Rover freewheel control.

I didn't know there was a 50's Rover 75: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_P4

1000 apologies to Herr Harley man.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C158420

:-)

A lovely J plate (1970/1) three door Range Rover in green. Mixing it with commuter traffic on Friday afternoon. Stunning (probably restored) condition - it still looks the part and proves what a remarkable design the original was - I remember seeing my first which would have been a K plater - this one must have been a very early one. A Morgan badged three wheeler - modern version post 2011 - didn't sound quite right so may have been a faux one.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - WillDeBeest
We've just finished introducing the Beestlings to all 16 episodes of Life on Mars. Curious, in hindsight, that among all the period-piece vehicles - Rover 2000, Viva, Avenger, Granada, lots of Allegros - I don't remember seeing a Range Rover. I still see the occasional original one around here - although hardly in showroom condition, of course - so I expect they could have found one if they'd wanted. When did the police start using them?

We certainly had them in 1970 in Life on Mars territory. Manchester and Salford Police bought two to replace the two Humber Super Snipe estate accident cars. I liked the Humbers...they were automatics !

Plain white but possibly with a red side stripe.

Please tell us you once said 'Put yer trousers on scumbag!'

Or was that The Sweeney ?

What's it like driving through piles of cardboard boxes anyway?

;-)

>> Please tell us you once said 'Put yer trousers on scumbag!'

I think a couple of policewomen might have said it to me , though ! Happy daze.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - RichardW
Saw a Tesla on the M9 near the Edinburgh airport turn off on Thursday - can't think I've ever seen one before. Plated SU54 NLB or something similar.

At Cheshire Show. A Lexus LF-A. On display on a dealers stand, they started it up every hour or so and revved it up. Sounded a bit like a well silenced F1 car from a few years back.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - PhilW
Beautiful Riley doing a steady 65/70 mph up the A34 this aft.
Just like this one.
mistralcars.com/2010/05/riley-rmf/

Fond memories - Grandad had one (all black reg DNN 288 or was it DDN 288?) in the '50s. I always thought it very exotic!!
P

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - spamcan61
Quite a lot of expensive but not particularly rare metal on the M3 today; a couple of rarities though, a Renault 19 saloon and an Isuzu Piazza - haven't seen either of those for yonks.

Buckingham V12 - Focusless
tinyurl.com/pmhdwmf (British Car Auctions)

Went past us on the A404(M) towards Wycombe as we turned off for the M40 yesterday morning. Had no idea what it was at the time - thought it might be a Panther - but a google of the number plate brings the BCA page up.

More pics: www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/car-advert/buckingham/v12/1985/179021/

Look at the length of that bonnet - glad I wasn't parking that in Asda this morning :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 21 Jun 14 at 12:55

Buckingham V12 - bathtub tom
If the auction estimate's correct, it could go for little more than 10% of the private sale price.

I'm looking for a car and this looks like it could have enough space. Don't know about the mobile 'phone in picture 5. D'yer think it's got bluetooth?

Buckingham V12 - henry k
Methinks the price needs adjusting :-(

Advert placed on 26th Sep, 2012

Buckingham V12 - Armel Coussine
Presumably it's well engineered if it was really made by eight Aston Martin engineers, but it isn't a thing you would actually want is it? Hideous, baroque, lumbering and slow. Ghastly thing.

Buckingham V12 - Mike Hannon
>>Presumably it's well engineered if it was really made by eight Aston Martin engineers, but it isn't a thing you would actually want is it? Hideous, baroque, lumbering and slow. Ghastly thing.<<

Except for the redeeming feature under the bonnet...

Peugeot Stuff - Bromptonaut
Was out in New Forest over weekend with caravan. Mainly to watch Miss B, her Beau and members of his family on board the yacht 'Challenge Wales' in the Round the Island Race.

Up at 0 daybreak:30 yesterday to see them pass Hurst Point then via S'oton and RedJet Ferry to meet them at heavily delayed finish in Cowes.

Passing Beaulieu at around 10:30 there was clearly some sort of 'Club Peugeot Francais' outing. We passed in pretty much quick succession a 304 Estate (badged up as a rally or bike race support car), 104, 204 decapotable, 403 and something much older I couldn't quite place.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Alanovich
Yesterday an E reg shark nose BMW 518i in dark blue, lovely original condition, with original dealer number plates showing 01- dialing code for London. Bloke driving it looked like he was on his daily commute, morning rush hour.

Also a burgundy 4 door 1970s Vauxhall Viva (M or N plate I think), replete with family on school run. Looked in very good order too.

A bright yellow Aventador Spider, pottering in rush hour traffic this afternoon. Everyone is equal in a traffic queue!

Latest Forum Posts