Motoring Discussion > Nil Road Tax Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Nil Road Tax - BobbyG
If a brand new car has NIL printed beside the £sign on the road tax, what does this mean?

Is it registered as a mobility car or do all new cars have that due to new car road tax rules or something?

DVLA Enquiry for the vehicle gives road tax of £130.

Just being nosey!
 Nil Road Tax - Fursty Ferret
Some new cars have zero VED in their first year. Mine showed NIL when I collected it from the dealer, it now costs an outrageous £30/year to tax.
 Nil Road Tax - rtj70
My car showed NIL on the tax disc for the first year. That's because cars below a certain level of CO2 emissions (130g/km) are exempt in the first year. It was £105 in the following year for my car (I think it goes to £110 this October).

www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables
 Nil Road Tax - Victorbox
My daughter's new car is nil for first 12 months.
 Nil Road Tax - Robin O'Reliant
>> My daughter's new car is nil for first 12 months.
>>

Which probably saves her nowt as the dealer would have thrown that in anyway. Be better if the second year was free.
 Nil Road Tax - Victorbox
With my negotiation skills he threw in several thousand pounds of "discounts" plus free insurance!
 Nil Road Tax - Dave_
Most of the cars we move about have a first year tax disc rate of £1,090.

:)
 Nil Road Tax - ....
How long before the reason for the poor road surfaces is due to the majority of car VED being £0 to £30 so they need to generate an income to repair the infrastructure. Something like a road toll for example.

Just a thought, politicians aren't that crafty are they ?
 Nil Road Tax - Robin O'Reliant
VED is not collected to fund the road network.
 Nil Road Tax - ....
>> VED is not collected to fund the road network.
>>
I wasn't for one moment suggesting VED is a road tax, we all know it goes into a central pot.
We also know the politicians want road tolls, they keep asking and keep being told no.
I'm just waiting for one of them to put two and two together to come up with five.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 9 Apr 14 at 16:48
 Nil Road Tax - Bromptonaut
>> How long before the reason for the poor road surfaces is due to the majority
>> of car VED being £0 to £30 so they need to generate an income to
>> repair the infrastructure. Something like a road toll for example.
>>
>> Just a thought, politicians aren't that crafty are they ?

There is no direct link between 'road tax' and money available to spend on transport infrastructure. The emissions related VED goes into the same pool as every other tax.

However, nil VED has distorted the car market as it's influence on buying decisions is out of all proportion to VED's contribution to overall running costs. I suspect a return to a flat rate (unless the CO2 link is an international/EU thing) within a few years.

Nil Road Tax - jc2
"Road Tax" was taken by HMG(Churchill) during WW1 and put into the general taxation fund-it was never given back and is now called "VED"(vehicle excise duty).
 Nil Road Tax - Gromit
"nil VED has distorted the car market as it's influence on buying decisions is out of all proportion to VED's contribution to overall running costs"

Exactly as it was intended to! A very cost-effective way for HMG to influence buying decisions when you think about it - they don't even have to take a hit on registration taxes for the sort of car they want us driving, just give a (small) VED perk and penalise the sort of car they don't want us driving with higher VED to compensate and a top-loaded registration tax for the least-preferred sorts of vehicles.

Better again for HMG if people change perfectly good older cars on the promise of lower VED - think of the extra tax income from the buyer, the dealer and the importer or manufacturer.

Edit: when the CO2 card has been well and truly played, NOx emissions (to get us all out of diesels again) and total life cycle pollution (ditto hybrids, with their big battery banks) will be next cash cows...
Last edited by: Gromit on Wed 9 Apr 14 at 15:53
 Nil Road Tax - Armel Coussine
I think Slidingpillar doesn't have to pay VED on his car.
 Nil Road Tax - Ted

I have 2 cars and 2 bikes on free VED. Nice 'ere innit ?
Latest Forum Posts