Motoring Discussion > Road building costs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 3

Road building costs - Crankcase
I don't actually know this stretch of road, but it's in the next town over. Apart from the puff, the article says it's "half a kilometre", which my old brain and a Google turns into 546 yards.

It apparently cost a rather eye watering ten million pounds - just under 19k a yard.

What do we think - £500 for the road and £18500 to buy the land or something?

I expect I'm being naive, but it sounds like an awful lot of money.

Link to Cambridge News

tinyurl.com/qal6xl8

Road building costs - Zero
The is the land of the guided bus way, that road is a bargain in comparison.
 Road building costs - Bromptonaut
The land may be a significant part, it certainly would be if it had to be paid for at development land prices. I guess however the real scenario is more complex and involves developers and 'deals' as part of planning consents.

The amount of infrastructure in addition to vehicle carriageway (lighting, signalling, pavements etc) and the width of the whole formation suggest some heavy 'non macadam' costs.
 Road building costs - Boxsterboy
When sleeping policemen cost over £10,000 a pop, what do you expect? The cost of road building/alteration is horrendous.

In our part of Surrey, the CC are currently spending £600,000 on realigning the curb between Leatherhead and Ashtead. They are moving it a few inches to widen the footpath and create a cycle path on the pavement. Although it will probably be ignored by the cyclists, as it probably won't be good enough for them ;-(

£600,000!!

Meanwhile the potholes which affect all road users remain worse than ever. You or I could fill a lot of potholes with £600,000 of tarmac.
Latest Forum Posts