Motoring Discussion > Short term insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

Short term insurance - legacylad
As I posted in a previous thread, my gf's daughter is back in the UK to give birth. Until emigrating 5 or so years ago with hubby she had built up quite a few years NCD. She only requires insurance for the 4 months she is visiting, so apart from contacting her previous insurer, what is her best course of action please? Do not tell them she is only here for 4 months, then cancel the monthly DD when she returns, or would this affect any future UK visits requiring insurance cover?
I have absolutely no idea what to advise her.
 Short term insurance - Zero
phone an insurance broker.
 Short term insurance - Falkirk Bairn
>>She only requires insurance for the 4 months she
>> Do not tell them she is only here for 4 months, then cancel
>> the monthly DD when she returns, or would this affect any future UK visits requiring
>> insurance cover?

>> I have absolutely no idea what to advise her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
Taking out Ins Policy for 12 mths and cancelling DD after 4 mths is stupid - the debt could follow her home and certainly would catch up with her should she ever return.

Go to a Broker and ask for a 4-6 mth policy - it should be less than a 12 mth policy but probably not that much less.
 Short term insurance - movilogo
Take a normal policy and pay the full premium. Then you can cancel it when no longer required and provided you have not made a claim, you will get back pro-rata premium (minus admin charges).

Short term insurance - No FM2R
>>you will get back pro-rata premium (minus admin charges).

Like hell you will. You'll get their "Short Period" rates and in the first year that'll be horrendous. Not that its going to be cheap however you do it.

First thing to try, speak to your own insurer. (Or your girlfriend's)

Can you add a car, which you own and is in your name, to your policy. Although as there is an additional driver they may insist on rating it on her. She's British with a full UK Licence? How much will they charge for the rest of your insurance year? (be kind of convenient if your policy was up for renewal anyway in four months or so.

Browse for insurance as usual and ask for a quote in her name from the usual suspects. They may offer a sufficient introductory discount that it will out weigh a short period cancellation.

Speak to someone such as Aviva, who offer short period insurance.
 Short term insurance - No FM2R
>>Taking out Ins Policy for 12 mths and cancelling DD after 4 mths is stupid - the debt could follow her home and certainly would catch up with her should she ever return.

I agree with Falkirk, I'd give that particular approach a miss.
 Short term insurance - rtj70
Speaking to a broker sounds like a good idea to me. And if she has been out of the UK for as long as she has and therefore had no insurance, the NCD will be long expired.
Latest Forum Posts