Motoring Discussion > Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 18

Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Westpig
...continued from legacylad's thread 'almost there..help me decide':

>> got the balloon and bunting up around the front garden?
>>
Not yet..but I do own a pork pie hat and a sheepskin jacket....

I'll start another thread, it's unfair to legacylad to hijack this one..and I feel a certain ladies shoe wearer who drives a German hearse might have some input...along with the old Lefty hack, who reminisces like Uncle Albert Trotter, about Africa
Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 9 Apr 14 at 19:01
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Runfer D'Hills
Congrats WP. Seriously for once !

Bernie Ecclestone started as a second hand car dealer and look what happened to him...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 9 Apr 14 at 20:15
>> Congrats WP. Seriously for once !
>>
>> Bernie Ecclestone started as a second hand car dealer and look what happened to him...

What, about to do time in a German gaol?
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - R.P.
Can you get me a nice Fiesta 1.25 or Ka...? Anything up to a grand ?
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Roger.
How about a one owner, well maintained Black Maria?
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Armel Coussine
>> one owner, well maintained Black Maria?

The ideal vehicle for a small but heavily drugged-up punk band.
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Fenlander
And a fault free 2004/5 facelift Alfa 156 2.4 JTD estate for me in red with tan leather under £2k... cash waiting... it really is!
>> And a fault free 2004/5 facelift Alfa 156 2.4 JTD estate for me in red
>> with tan leather under £2k... cash waiting... it really is!
>>

Nobody likes a pushy salesman type...well I don't anyway.... if any of you are serious in your wants/needs, ask a friendly Mod to forward on your e-mail address.

I pick up my stuff from a local main dealer i.e. their trade ins. I've cultivated a relationship whereby I can pick and choose a lot of it, but specifics aren't always immediately forthcoming.

If I occasionally get caught out with something, it goes straight to the auction. Anything decent is kept and either traded myself or put on another, successful, dealer's forecourt for him to sell (at a higher price than I can as a sole trader, which covers his take) or I supply straight to other local dealers who concentrate on cheaper or mid range stuff, which means a quicker turn over, albeit a lower sale price.

I keep my general costs to a minimum, (no forecourt for example) which means I can sell at a sensible price.

I use my brother's rural garage to fettle them... and we'll only put them out if they are right ...his garage's good reputation has been hard earned and would be very easy to lose...(not that I would anyway, treat others as you'd want to be treated yourself).

It's been hard work, but I'm enjoying it. Making a profit, but not taking a salary at the moment whilst I build up the stock.

Still driving the delivery van part-time until I can take a modest wage out of the business. Catch 22 with that...bin the van and I could spend more time running the business, but the main need is cash to build the stock up.

This time next year Rodney.

Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 9 Apr 14 at 22:33
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Stuartli
A pal of mine made a very nice living for many years out of the same technique, including a very favourable association with the local BMW dealer. Result was that his buyers kept coming back on a regular basis.
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Dog
Wear a boots is bro's garage Wp? (pm me if knead bee)
>> Wear a boots is bro's garage Wp? (pm me if knead bee)
>>

DMS Wrangaton Motors Ltd, Shute Lane, Wrangaton, Nr South Brent, Devon, TQ10 9HD
Cheers me dears, and good luck with selling the ole jamjars.
>> Cheers me dears, and good luck with selling the ole jamjars.
>>

Oh it's not easy....damned hard work in fact....and there's local traders going under. It's a difficult old world out there, especially if you've been used to a regular salary going into your bank account for over 30 years. If I didn't have a pension going in each month I'd have struggled.
>>If I didn't have a pension going in each month

Yep, that's where you're on a winner of course, plus I suppose like us you don't have a mortgage hanging around your neck so, treat it as a hobby really and, if you make a few, um, coppers along the way, all the better :)
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Fenlander
Oh well good luck with it all WP... no I don't really want to saddle you with helping in my Alfa hunt as finding a decent one is an intensive and thankless task for a third party.

In our early twenties Mrs F and self were changing our cars frequently... often with 3 cars between us at any one time to the point some might have said it was dealing.... in fact the powers that be did visit us once but when they were shown that we had every vehicle registered in our names (even if only for a week) and we had full time careers they lost interest and we carried on.

Then later in life I did have 17yrs associated with the trade, life has changed a great deal since then though and it's very much history so doesn't get mentioned here. I did a few very successful deals in that period and did consider taking it to the next step but moved off in other directions.

I have mentioned previously I now run a very small business which benefits greatly from taking an early pension like you so all personal outgoings are covered before I make a penny profit. This gives an ability to take greater risks on one hand and on the other if it suits the circumstance you can reduce profit when selling to a "good cause" adding to overall life satisfaction.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 10 Apr 14 at 09:31
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Mapmaker
>> put on another, successful, dealer's forecourt for him to sell

Is he acting as your agent, or are you selling them to him on credit (payable when the car sells), or do you sell them for cash up front? Very important to know the answer (for you to, not me).
>> Is he acting as your agent, or are you selling them to him on credit
>> (payable when the car sells), or do you sell them for cash up front? Very
>> important to know the answer (for you to, not me).
>>

I sell to him when he's sold it...ran it past my accountant first. What is the 'important' bit, in case I've missed something?
Last edited by: Westpig on Thu 10 Apr 14 at 13:58
 Westpig out of the closet..he's a car dealer - Mapmaker
It's down to whose liability it is when your purchaser brings it back.
>> It's down to whose liability it is when your purchaser brings it back.
>>

His.

He puts a warranty on each car he sells, although sometimes that doesn't cover everything (e.g. the Jag XF gearbox recently, the warranty company would only cover so much).

When my car sells, he does me an invoice and buys it then, at the price that works out to the sale price, minus his cut and minus the warranty.

He pays for advertising and will re-valet it whilst it's with him.
Latest Forum Posts