Motoring Discussion > Leaving window open in sunny days Green Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 13

Leaving window open in sunny days - movilogo
Does it really help to cool the car when parked in hot sunny days?

How much one should roll down the window while parking?
 Leaving window open in sunny days - Shiny
I think you have to open two or more for the most effect to get a draft through.
The more open - the better I suppose.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Thu 10 Apr 14 at 10:43
 Leaving window open in sunny days - Falkirk Bairn
Leaving windows open could cost you - if car is stolen/broken into - invalidates insurance cover if car is unattended and windows left open.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - No FM2R
Here they do not leave the windows open. However, they always put bits of cardboard over the front and back windows.

Seems to work to me.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - commerdriver
About my last 4 or 5 cars have had the ability to wind down all 4 windows using the key fob, on a hot day I do this as I walk up to the car and by the time I have got my bags stowed, jacket off etc and get in to the car it is not cool, but is certainly a lot less stiflingly hot than it would have been if I had got straight in.
A little more secure as an alternative and giving much of the benefit
 Leaving window open in sunny days - Zero
Don't do it in Yosimite, the bears get clqs in and rip your windows out to get to your picker nick basket Boo Boo
 Leaving window open in sunny days - rtj70
Some of those bears learn to rip the doors off to get at food left inside. Oops.

On a warmer day I might miss the climate seats on this car when it's replaced later this year. Unless I get similar of course. Or electric window blinds... Cardboard just wouldn't do don't you know :-)
 Leaving window open in sunny days - ....
You'll have to remember to disable the interior sensor for the alarm or you'll really annoy some folk if you don't work within earshot.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - TheManWithNoName
I never leave windows open. If I want a cool car, i get in and start driving as soon as possible with the windows down. Once the initial stifling heat has dissipated, I close them and switch on the aircon. Mind you, I'm struggling at the mo to recall a really hot day. Ahh, happy memories.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - WillDeBeest
My method too, Anonimo. Although the reflective sunshields do work well if you have time to consider prevention.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - legacylad
Open car door, finger on button and 20 secs later roof is down.
Although driving to Yosimite (sic) from Monterey a few years ago we had to stop and put the roof up. It was truly scorchio and my legs were getting burnt.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 00:01
 Leaving window open in sunny days - Stuartli
A sun roof is a good way of getting rid of heat reasonably quickly when you return to a vehicle. However, with the ever increasing availability of air conditioning, not many choose to have a sun roof as well.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - rtj70
>> with the ever increasing availability of air conditioning, not many choose to have a sun roof as well.

On many cars it's no longer an option. German cars tend to offer it as an option. Back when I had a Golf GTI MKIV, it came with a sunroof as standard but no air-con. I had both.
 Leaving window open in sunny days - Crankcase
Nice little option on the Prius is a solar roof. Big solar cell that drives the air con when parked in the sun, so car is always nice and cool.

Latest Forum Posts