Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! Car Deals
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 10

Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Auntie Lockbrakes
The Outlander PHEV has just been released over here - and in the UK too I gather.

Seems pretty amazing to me: finally a hybrid which is a decent-sized car, and 4WD to boot. Equipment levels and pricing seem reasonable. Undoubtedly a good Mitsi warranty too.

Am I missing a catch, other than the same caveats of worn out batteries that will cost the earth to replace in 5-6 years' time? (No pun intended!). Quite an attractive replacement for SWMBO's X3 diesel next year I am thinking...
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Lygonos
>> finally a hybrid which is a decent-sized car, and 4WD to boot

Only 10 years behind the Lexus RX 400h ;-)
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Ah! Point taken! An oversight. Finally an AFFORDABLE hybrid 4WD? ;-)
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - madf
A second hand Lexus hybrid is even more affordable.. and will have a better stereo and nice leather
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Oldgit
>> A second hand Lexus hybrid is even more affordable.. and will have a better stereo
>> and nice leather
>>

How shallow, in my opinion anyway. I dislike leather upholstery in cars, intensely and the stereo is a minor consideration when choosing which car to buy.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Manatee
I'm fairly shallow :)
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Dog
>>I'm fairly shallow :)

I'm with ^this^ geezer ;)
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Fenlander
Hmmm not sure practical wipe clean seats and decent music are shallow requirements... but if they are put me on the list.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Fursty Ferret
>> A second hand Lexus hybrid is even more affordable.. and will have a better stereo
>> and nice leather
>>

Yes, but a clapped out battery. They'll only tolerate so many charge cycles.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - Crankcase
You'd be hard pushed to find one with a clapped out battery, however old. Less than 1% failure rate. Which I guess is why Toyota, on my car anyway, has recently introduced lifetime warranty on the hybrid battery. Get it checked at each service time, which is free, and they then extend the warranty indefinitely.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 12 Apr 14 at 22:07
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - PHEV hybrid - looks impressive?! - madf
>>
>> Yes, but a clapped out battery. They'll only tolerate so many charge cycles.
>>

You are aware that a Lexus/Toyota hybrid battery consists of hundreds of rechargeable cells and a "clapped out" battery can be easily and cheaply repaired by replacing those cells - which can be tested with a multimeter.?

Even I could do it: I can use a multimeter and solder...

So instead of £3k for a new battery - £300 is the commercial rate to repair one...

Which is why Lexus/Toyota are so confident about battery life: repair is cheaper than two new tyres

EDIT
and the charging cycle is not 0% charge to 100% but nearer 30% to 80% so life is extended...
Last edited by: madf on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 09:51
Latest Forum Posts