Motoring Discussion > Quality or quantity? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 109

Quality or quantity? - Runfer D'Hills
Inspired in a way by RP's thread on running an old car alongside his newer ones, I to got thinking about how different people approach things. I've put this in 'motoring' but the discussion can of course apply to many aspects of life.

For example, I have actually very few possessions, but those I do have tend to be what I'd describe as investment pieces.

I don't have many items of clothing but they are all of decent quality, I don't have all that many ( well in truth probably more than most ) pairs of shoes or boots but they are all good makes.

Turning back to cars, I'd sooner buy and use the best I could ( easily ) afford than buy something I felt I needed to treat with kid gloves.

So the premis I'm suggesting could lead to an interesting conversation is whether you are a few but good and make it last person or a lots but cheap and throw away person. Or indeed somewhere in between ?

Quality or quantity? - Dulwich Estate
I'm not a fan of waste and money permitting I tend towards the idea of quality.

I often smile when, in a traffic queue say, I see the furniture and other Argos type tat dumped outside in gardens of council and housing association property. The occupants buy cheap and within a short while dump it and start all over again ultimately spending far more than they need.

Fashion comes in to it I suppose - I have never felt the need for the latest thing.
 Quality or quantity? - Dave
The problem is, what is 'a good make that lasts'?

It's certainly not the makes that are generally perceived as well made and long lasting.
 Quality or quantity? - Crankcase
Seeing as you've mentioned shoes:

£30 Clarks. Fell apart in six months.

So moved on to £60 Clarks. Fell apart in six months.

So moved to £150 Clarks. Fell apart in six months.

Thought I'd try the famous British Northampton hand made by elvish cobblers route.

So moved to Loakes. Fell apart in six months.

So moved to Church's. Fell apart in six months.

Now back on £30 Clarks. Pointless doing anything else for me as far as I can see. Must be the way I hop.

There's a shop in town that has shoes at £500 and up, but I just bet they might last a year if I was lucky. Not even going to think about it.

Quality or quantity? - Clk Sec
>> So moved to Church's. Fell apart in six months.

That's surprising. I bought a pair of Church's that were marked down to half price (£90) in a sale over a decade ago, and they're still going strong.
 Quality or quantity? - Fenlander
I've never seen clothes as possessions despite liking to be tidy (mostly) if very casual by the standards of most here (I'm guessing). The only thing I've kept long term is a traditional keepers tweed jacket bought about 25yrs ago. The material is so heavy it feels as if it's woven from steel thread. Now a size too small really but still looks the part with cords, brown boots, check shirt, red tie and moleskin cap... but not a frequent image for me these days. I keep my eye out for a used replacement to get the right size... used as they are about £500 new now which would exceed the value of all my day to day clothes put together.

I am interested though Runfer that you say you have few possessions... forgetting clothes I would have expected a half timbered living senior manager to have all the things??
 Quality or quantity? - Bromptonaut
What on earth do you do to shoes CC?

Bought Clarks' products back as far as Polyveldt/Nature Trek, these days Air Wear or similar. Usually sourced in the sales for around half original price.

Once they'd realised that, at least using seventies technology, bonding the leather shoe to a thick plastic sole didn't work and still needed stitches they've been fine. Worn for work including riding the Brompton and walking a lot they usually last four to five years before real wear of leather, sole and insock kill them.

The odd sole has split laterally. Always the right foot and likely due to my tendency to 'sit' on my heel with toe on ground while browsing files and other work tasks close to ground.
 Quality or quantity? - spamcan61
>> Seeing as you've mentioned shoes:
>>
>> £30 Clarks. Fell apart in six months.
>>
I think they're doing a 1990s Mercedes and reducing the quality hoping people will keep buying for the brand name. I've been wearing basically the same style of Clarks shoes for about a decade, a pair used to last at least of couple of years with every day use, my current pair are 6 months old and are knackered.
 Quality or quantity? - NortonES2
I always rotate my foot ware! Still have a pair of Loake brogues I bought in 1974, and 2 pairs of Church's shoes which are relatively new - about 15 years old. Amongst other lesser, ephemeral articles like Ecco and Indian-made Loake moccasins. Only for dry days where possible. But then I was taught by my father (pbi) to look after feet and shoes and how to get them to a parade ground finish. Or else.
 Quality or quantity? - Duncan
>> I always rotate my foot ware!
>>

I have tried that, but shoes are so tight fitting on the other foot!
 Quality or quantity? - Dog
>>The problem is, what is 'a good make that lasts'?
It's certainly not the makes that are generally perceived as well made and long lasting

It's all about marketing really: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUOEoPucJ8
 Quality or quantity? - Slidingpillar
Depends a bit on what it is, as some items of my apparel are very cheap, and one in particular is eye-wateringly expensive.
www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=9
Yes, £700 for a jacket! I'll admit when I bought mine, the price was a lot less, but it really is waterproof and only needed sponging down when I had to lie down in muddy paddock to fix my vintage car.
I guess the sort of thing I'm getting at could be this example. A guy I know bought a brand new Lamborghini. He's quite well off but he admitted it was a stretch even for him.

He doesn't really use it much because he doesn't want to put too many miles on it. Instead, he runs about mostly in the Astra van he bought for work purposes. I get why he might want the Lamborghini and good luck to him if he can but to buy one and then deliberately not use it seems, I dunno, weird maybe. To me anyway. Guess we're all different and so it should be.

My version of that would have been to buy a nicely specced estate car that was good to drive but could be used for work and which I wouldn't then worry about using I suppose.

The question which was asked above re why wouldn't I have many 'things', well I suppose that's a hangover from an earlier lifestyle I had when I travelled a lot, more or less my personal rule was if I couldn't either carry it or wear it I didn't need it.

I used to go away for extended periods with only a small leather backpack and if it didn't go in that or I didn't have the item on, it was surplus to requirements.

Even now I rarely check a bag in at airports.

I don't like clutter basically. My favourite new age thing is my iPad. It has more or less totally replaced anything which used to go in my briefcase or equivalent.
The other thing which occurs to me is that for at least a quarter of a century, maybe more in fact, I've worked in an environment where it hasn't been a requirement to have a separate set of 'work' clothes from those I'd wear for other purposes.

When there was a suit and tie culture you kind of needed more items. Now, I wear more or less the same type of clothes/footwear for most purposes.

Therefore I can go away for a week on business or pleasure with a minimal amount of luggage.
 Quality or quantity? - R.P.
Being a Gemini i'm allowed to be in two minds on this. The dog-mobile was bought to stop the other two cars degrading prematurely - it's also handy to bimble to the shops and other local places. Being a motorcyclist I can pack minimally but it doesn't creep into the rest of my life. I buy branded goods of good repute, but didn't baulk at buying Lidl's base layers for the bike...they are superb. Shoes ? Usually, Clarke's, Rohan or branded walking shoes/boots. If I buy something and it's fit for purpose (Merrell's slip ons are good example) - I will buy them again and again and the previous versions become secondary or tertiary wear and finally get binned when they are no longer wearable. I have too much stuff....sorry..
No please don't apologise! Blimey no, there is no opinion or criticism being proffered here, I'm just curious to see things as others see them really.

I guess I've always been of a mind to not have more than I actually need at the time but to have the best I can afford of whatever it is I have. ( if that makes sense ?) and then use it for it's intended purpose.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 12 Apr 14 at 17:57
 Quality or quantity? - RattleandSmoke
I am some where in the middle, apart from HIFI and cameras I used to be a fan of cheap and cheerful goods. However I then bought a Dewalt drill and releasing how much better it was than the £30 german superstore specials I have become a bit of a brand snob. Ok my corded drill and jigsaw are only Black and Deckers but I rarely use them so that is fine. No point on having a Makita hammer drill if it is only going to be used four times a year.

Generally with shoes I tend to wear either Vans or Converse and expect to get 4-5 months out of them, my Vans are 5 months old now been worn every day and only now need replacing.

With hotels I tend to find the cheapest hotel with a location that matches my needs but has has mostly good reviews. Is a policy that has worked very well and I tend to avoid the Travel Lodge like the plaque, I find ETAP budget to be cheaper and better.

I repair computer equipment for a living and only the best will do for me in this regard and in the market for a new laptop myself, only a second hand Thinkpad will do, I would not dream of anything else but Thinkpad now. I never seem to repair them, only supply them!.

As for clothes apart from my shoes I don't really care, I tend to pay around £20 for jeans that last me a good year or more, and jumpers are all the same. I pay around £15 for band t-shirts many I have had for many years and still in great condition.

Oh Rats.....you've worn the same shoes for every day ! Humph'll get you !
Mostly, I occasionally wear my scruffy old Converse if going to a busy club venue or my classic converse boots if I can be bothered to put them on. I do have some scruffy trainers I use for DIY too.
 Quality or quantity? - Westpig
Buy cheap, buy twice is my motto.

Learnt in the early 80's when I lived in Soho and got caught a couple of times by illegal street traders, despite me supposedly 'knowing better'.

The first time, it was a brolly in the pouring rain at Oxford Circus....damned thing didn't last 200 yards, before the handle came away from the brolly. I went back, but said trader had gone of course.

The second time was nearer Christmas, Oxford Street, fellow was selling Christmas wrapping paper. I thought 'what the hell' it's only going to get ripped off a present, so who cares what the quality is like....trouble was, when I unwrapped the roll, each sheet was only about 12 inches by 12 inches....so I needed three sheets to wrap one small present.

I believe the terminology is 'carphounds'.
 Quality or quantity? - Harleyman
>> Buy cheap, buy twice is my motto.
>>

A good Welsh aphorism used much down this end of the Principality, and with a great deal of truth to it.
 Quality or quantity? - No FM2R
When I was poor, or at least much poorer than today, I used to judge the value of stuff I could buy or not buy on its price.

So I was dead chuffed when I could buy an expensive shirt / suit / car / whatever.

I do understand, and have learned the very hard way, that there is no point in buying something you cannot comfortable afford to use, and cannot live with the total loss of. For example, I would rather own a million year old mini and chuck it about however I felt than own a brand new Lambo and worry about the cost of every mile or scratch.

But it changes with time. The most chuffed I have ever been with a car was my first company car, the first car that someone else was paying for, and it was a Cavalier 2.0L. (My allowance covered a 2.0L or a 1.6GL and I valued engine over extras). It arrived on a Saturday and I was king of the world that day. Yet I must have paid at least 10x that on a car since without the same feeling of satisfaction.

And to be honest, in the last 10 yrs I have had the most fun out of an old V70 and a 528i than I have out of most anything else.

Someone once told me,and I agree with it wholeheartedly, if you do not know the price of a sliced loaf, then you are doing quite well enough. There was a time I knew the price of the cheapest loaf in town to the 1/2p.

Like Runfer, I have very few personal possessions, but I do value the ones I have. Unlike him I would describe them as "satisfaction" pieces, rather than "investment" pieces.

I guess I am lucky, price does not make me want something, nor does it stop me buying it.
 Quality or quantity? - Roger.
Clothes are to keep one warm.
I don't give a stuff for fashion.
M&S underpants, all the same. 3 prs. M&S PJs all the same colour, blue socks, beige socks.
Debenhams shirts; always in the sale. M&S Man pullovers at £15 a hit.
M & S cotton trousers - all beigeish! Always in the sale.
Hotter comfort shoes.
One extravagance - 13 years ago - a £150 "Spray Way" water and wind-proof anorak. Still nearly as good as new and far, far better than a Barbour waxed jacket I had, which wore out far too soon.
We'd get on well together Pigs-Might-Fly ... it's legal now you know ;)
Ok a quick hypothetical straw poll.

You need/want a new car

You have the means to buy one of the following and for the purposes of the poll these are the only three cars available and they are all the same price and in good condition etc. and all meet your practical needs in terms of size, space, fuel economy and so on.

Which do you choose and why?

1. A 5 year old high-ish mileage Mercedes
2. A 3 year old low-ish mileage Ford
3. A new Dacia.

More fun.
Dacia....had this conversation in work yesterday, also featured was "would you buy a Great Wall thingy....7 year warranty....cheap as chips ?....no.
>> "would you buy a Great Wall thingy....7 year warranty....cheap as chips ?....no

I would. There's loads of them around here. Seem pretty robust. The usual pick up is the Wingle.

Daft name though.
 Quality or quantity? - PeterS
Assuming that nothing else had changed and I could still afford to run / maintain / fix a higher mile Merc then that'd be my choice. RWD, auto, 6 cylinder petrol engines available, and maybe even a convertible.

But if I couldn't afford the running costs associated with it then it'd be the Dacia. A Duster in plain white with steel wheels. Only £9k I think :-)
>>1. A 5 year old high-ish mileage Mercedes
2. A 3 year old low-ish mileage Ford
3. A new Dacia.

No contest really IMO = numero uno.

Why, well, if you don't know the answer to that question you would most likely consider numero dos or, perish the thought, numero tres.
 Quality or quantity? - ....
>> Which do you choose and why?
>>
>> 1. A 5 year old high-ish mileage Mercedes
>> 2. A 3 year old low-ish mileage Ford
>> 3. A new Dacia.
>>
In the above order.

High mileage car would not necessarily bother me as my car mileage these days would bring it down to average over time depending on how high the original mileage was.

The 3 year old car would work for me too with a level of depreciation I could accept

The new car I always find hard to justify. Yes, it's nice to choose the car, the extras, the new car experience but I always wince at the first two years depreciation and the 20% VAT when you compare a new cars list price (OK not many people pay list) with what they are advertised at when 12 to 24 months old.

On the original subject a few here have noticed the same as me with shoes. I bought a pair of Loake Oxford shoes back in the mid-90's, still got them though they are like triggers broom with soles and heels.
I bought a new pair last year, within 6 weeks they needed new soles. Either car pedals have become much harder to push or the quality of the material has gone down. I know, I should have a pair of driving loffers to save my shoes but that's more 'stuff' in my life that I really don't want.
I bought a pair of snow boots in November 2013, they are now in the bin. The soles were virtually unmarked, the uppers had split and the heel had separated from the upper. I contacted the seller who offered a 40% refund no questions. When a company offers that kind of refund straight away that says to me we know they were rubbish.
>>The soles were virtually unmarked, the uppers had split and the heel had separated from the upper. I contacted the seller who offered a 40% refund no questions. When a company offers that kind of refund straight away that says to me we know they were rubbish.<<

I would not have accepted less than a full refund. Although with shoes, it can be an uphill struggle to achieve.
I was going to say ' it always amazes me etc' when I hear people's expectations of their shoes, but frankly it doesn't any more.

The premis that you can buy something for less than you'd pay for a tyre and wear them exclusively for extended periods every day for months or years on end in all weathers and expect them to remain in perfect condition ought to be fairly preposterous.

Would you expect the same from a pair of trousers or a jacket?

>> I was going to say ' it always amazes me etc' when I hear people's
>> expectations of their shoes, but frankly it doesn't any more.
>>
>> The premis that you can buy something for less than you'd pay for a tyre
>> and wear them exclusively for extended periods every day for months or years on end
>> in all weathers and expect them to remain in perfect condition ought to be fairly
>> preposterous.
>>

Why not ? In the case of a shoe, if the upper is made of leather and looked after, it is just dead cow skin after all, why should it not last a long time ? If it can take the full weight of someone time after time as a car seat why not the upper of a shoe ? The sole and heel will wear out and get replaced.

I always thought a good pair of shoes worth keeping as it molded to the shape of your foot.

>> Would you expect the same from a pair of trousers or a jacket?
>>
I've got a 20 year old Marlboro jacket and an older Barbour wax jacket. I'm not a slave to fashion.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 10:14

>> I've got a 20 year old Marlboro jacket and an older Barbour wax jacket.

Presumably you don't wear either of them for 16 hours a day, every day and regularly scrape them along the ground?

;-)

It's perfectly possible to make a pair of shoes which would last pretty much indefinitely. They wouldn't be particularly pleasant to wear though !
>> Presumably you don't wear either of them for 16 hours a day, every day and
>> regularly scrape them along the ground?
>>
>> ;-)
>>
I don't scrape my shoes along the ground, I walk. :-)

Reminds me of:
Three engineers were in the bathroom standing at the urinals. The first engineer finished and walked over to the sink to wash his hands. He then proceeded to dry his hands very carefully. He used paper towel after paper towel and ensured that every single spot of water on his hands was dried. Turning to the other two engineers, he said, "At BMW, we are trained to be extremely thorough."
The second engineer finished his task at the urinal and he proceeded to wash his hands. He used a single paper towel and made sure that he dried his hands using every available portion of the paper towel. He turned and said, "At Mercedes-Benz, not only are we trained to be extremely thorough, but we are also trained to be extremely efficient."

The third engineer finished and walked straight for the door, shouting over his shoulder, "At Ford we don't pee on our hands."
 Quality or quantity? - sooty123
>> Would you expect the same from a pair of trousers or a jacket?

I wouldn't say totally perfect, but pretty good performance for years I would say would be reasonable. Certainly not months, any shoes that only lasted months I wouldn't bother taking them back but I wouldn't ever buy them again.
My last pair of shoes I wear to work lasted about 7 years before replaced. They didn't leak or fall apart until just before binned.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Apr 14 at 01:03
 Quality or quantity? - swiss tony
None of the above...

1/ will require deep pockets, sooner or later.

2/ is the only possible on the list, it will probably go wrong, but would be (hopefully) a lot cheaper to fix.

3/ its a F......g Renault!

>>> 1. A 5 year old high-ish mileage Mercedes
>> 2. A 3 year old low-ish mileage Ford
>> 3. A new Dacia.
>>

The Ford comes closest to my philosophy of buying new/nearly new and running it into ground. Wouldn't be too hung up on low mileage though, a 70k ex company car would be fine.

Dacia haven't yet got the history for me to be confident they'd last or even that brand would remain available.
Jeans....eh, I stopped wearing proper branded ones a few years ago - went through three pairs of Rohan technical ones and then bowed to temptation and bought a pair of Levis' again...the minute I put them on they felt right, the cut, the weight, just the feel of them.

In contrast I bought a couple of pairs of M&S casual trousers for work. Crappy cut, look and feel dreadful...won't wear them ever again.
 Quality or quantity? - legacylad
Absolutely 1.
In a few years I would love one of those Lexus thingies with a large V8. No idea of model designation but goes like stink and drinks like a fish.
I buy my 501s in the US. The last few pars were sub £20 in an outlet store. Still only £25 ish when bought in Levi stores if at a sale price.
My Haflofs walking trousers & shorts were expensive but have lasted really well, as have my Salomon trail shoes.
>>> Levis' again...the minute I put them on they felt right, the cut, the weight, just the feel of them.

I'm trying a UK shop alternative to the "proper" Wranglers I'd been buying from the USA 2/3 pairs a year for over 25yrs.

They look fine, more modern actually, but the lighter cloth and cut just doesn't feel the same so I may have to pay into the customs/VAT funds again and get some more Wranglers imported.
I find Levis particularly lightweight in the UK compared to the US versions.
>>>I find Levis particularly lightweight in the UK compared to the US versions.

Exactly the same with the Wranglers hence having to import them to get the proper working (horse riding actually) weight. The premium fashion jeans sold in the UK are a pale imitation of the equally stylish working brands sold in the USA for half the price. Sadly personal import is caught by customs every time now so the costs rise annoyingly.

Not sure if it is still true but about 5yrs ago Levi stopped the major USA mail order suppliers selling their jeans to UK customers so it was Wranglers or nothing.
>>about 5yrs ago Levi stopped the major USA mail order suppliers selling their jeans to UK

Did they? He said incredulously. They certainly haven't stopped selling them to Chile.

However, B-in-law lives in Seattle. We'll more than happily ship you anything you want for cost only. You buy it, ship it to him and he'll send it on. Doesn't cost much from Seattle to Oxford, can't imagine its any different to the wastelands Fens.
>>>We'll more than happily ship you anything you want for cost only

Very kind and offer appreciated however I've become grumpily independent. We actually have an American friend who works on a US base very close to here and could get anything tax free... but I never trouble him.

PS we have managed to escape the Fen (just) to get off the bog onto silty clay.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 10:49
>>> I would describe them as "satisfaction" pieces, rather than "investment" pieces.

Agreed... that's my take on it.

But unlike you and Runfer I like possessions... and loads of them. It's a character/psychology thing I guess. Get a particular pleasure out of maintaining or improving stuff others may discard then keeping it long term.

As an example about 10yrs ago we needed a new home office desk/storage setup. About £700 in nicely finished chipboard from Staples. Instead found a 1930s leather top headmasters type oak desk with matching 8 drawer chest for half that and restored it. Now it's our desk for life.... and could be someone else's for another 100yrs+.

The paperweight on it is the nose/fuse of a WW1 German shell... can't explain but just like having the stuff about and this runs throughout every room in the house.

>>But unlike you and Runfer I like possessions... and loads of them.

I like my possessions, I like some of my possessions very much indeed. Its the "loads" where we differ. I have a few, very important, but only a few.

I don't hoard. I'm never going to discover something important to me in the back of a cupboard. If it was important to me it would never have to to the cupboard in the first place.

Stuff though, now I have loads of "stuff". But it comes and goes, and isn't of much relevance.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 00:28
 Quality or quantity? - madf
I like possessions... and loads of them. It's a character/psychology thing I guess. Get a particular pleasure out of maintaining or improving stuff others may discard then keeping it long term.

I no longer crave for new possessions as I have a house full of them.. The only new one I have was bought last week and is safely under lock and key due to the horrendous insurance costs...I would ask you all to respect my privacy and not mention that I have it outside this forum as the papers are full of the "mystery buyer".

When you get to my age.. and have not yet moved into a smaller house, more possessions are the last thing you need.

But a hobby such as beekeeping - especially when you make most of your own hives - you end up with lots of "stuff"...

As far as quality vs quantity I have two lawnmowers - A Hayter Hayterette 40 years old and an Atco Balmoral 25 years old - garden tools which are 30+ years old, some shoes which are 7 years old, a 20 year old suit worn once a year to funerals, an 11 year old Yaris, few 100 year old paintings - so quality any time if I can afford it..

I will, however, buy cheap things for once off occasional use if I know that is all they need.

But proper maintenance and care is key to longevity - no matter how well made the product is..
Last edited by: madf on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 10:04
 Quality or quantity? - WillDeBeest
...About £700 in nicely finished chipboard from Staples. Instead found a 1930s leather top headmasters type oak desk with matching 8 drawer chest for half that and restored it. Now it's our desk for life.... and could be someone else's for another 100yrs+.

Similar example: we had a space in our living room for a sideboard. Mrs Beest would have dropped £500 at the door of a well-known chipboard emporium, asked me to assemble the thing, and so saddled us with something that would have looked tolerable for two years, tatty for five more, then fallen apart.
Instead, we paid a little more to a specialist dealer in mid-century Scandinavian furniture for a solid chunk of Danish teak, the same age as the house, which had already had the little restoration it needed, happens to fit the space perfectly, and looks and feels wonderful.

Of course, this works better with the kind of item that doesn't naturally wear out, unlike a shoe or a car. Even with those, though, I'd still rather buy something good and put my money into keeping it going. It won't last for ever or hold its value the way good furniture can, but the decline will be less steep and the user satisfaction along the way far greater.
My Loake shoes are doing just fine, thank you. The oldest pair is four years old and has just gone off for its second factory refurbishment; which, including postage both ways, costs about 3/4 the price of a pair of Eccos. They get worn to work once or twice a week, in rotation with two other pairs (I've just added a fourth pair, for variety) which usually includes 90 minutes' driving and a half-hour lunchtime walk on the mean streets of west London.
Worth noting that they're all from Loake's top 1880 range; the cheaper ones are made of less nice leather and contain more glue, so may not wear so well.
I picked up and sniffed a Crockett and Jones shoe in a department store the other day. Almost bought it for the smell! Pity they mostly stop at size 12.

When you get to my age.. and have not yet moved into a smaller house...
controversy alert
...you are part of the nation's housing shortage and contributing to the destruction of rural England.
No idea if it will be any good but there is a documentary on BBC2 tonight 9pm that seems to be related to elements of this thread.... Real Storage Wars. Apparently about the fact on average we have six times as much stuff as our parent's generation yet often seek a minimalist look in the home hence the rise in popularity of garages stuffed with clutter and self-storage units.

When there's a quiet moment here and I want to annoy our daughters I often go on about how much "stuff" we and they have compared with what I remember from grandparents homes in my childhood.

I often get to see old film, slides and photographs from probate house clearances which I sort through for social/historical interest. Last week I was showing the family a slide probably taken in the 50s of a grandparent with his grandchildren in what looks to be the grandparent's sitting room.

Beige tile fireplace with coal fire, metal Smiths clock on mantelpiece with oak/chrome biscuit barrel to one side and a pot with a pipe in it the other. B&W TV in the corner with a screen like a goldfish bowl, big mahogany cased radio on a table in the other corner. About a dozen old books on the top shelf of a small bookcase and that's it. No ornaments, pictures, other electrical devices or furniture other than two brown leatherette armchairs and a sort of matching sofa.

No "stuff" at all.

Some people recreate that look in their homes, be it Victorian, 30's 40's 50's etc. and I quite like seeing it actually, being I was Bjorn in '52.

Whether I would like to live in a house decorated & furnished like that today is another question of course,
although we do have the beams, inglenook fireplace, coal scuttle etc. :)
 Quality or quantity? - Mapmaker
>> a few but good and make it last person or a lots but cheap and throw away person. Or
>>indeed somewhere in between ?

None of the above. Or at least, a combination of good & make it last, with cheap and throw away. But nothing in between.

So, I shop at Waitrose and Lidl.

So far as the car choice Merc/Ford/Dacia is concerned, the answer would have to be '1'. But in real life I'd be going for the '1' version of '2'. i.e., a high mileage Ford. I don't use a car enough to justify spending £10k on it. Ideally, though, I'd be going for the '1' in an older version.
 Quality or quantity? - Ted

Most of my kit is from Premier Man mail order and Asda/Tesco. Jeans at £8.00 and button up check shirts at £4.00. Trollies and socks by M&S. Total ensemble apart from shoes today driving back from Cumbria would be about £13. I like plain lace up shoes. My brown Clarkes, which I used today, are about 15 yrs old and look brand new. I've been using a pair of plain black Riekers for some years, still good, and I bought a similar pair a couple of weeks ago.

Brasher boots for hiking are over 25yrs old with no wear or damage. Completely waterproof up to about 4" depth. Motorbike kit is all black cordura with leather/kevlar boots. All fairly old now, I'm too old to be investing in new stuff now.

I've got lots of stuff, getting on for 70 'OO' gauge locos and a couple of hundred books. Tools and workshop kit is another weakness.

We're happy with the slushbox Note, now 8 yrs old. If and when we stop caravanning, the Grand Vitara will go and I'll buy something older and practical for myself.....This would do me very nicely, thank you.....

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/r6/renault6.jpg.html

I know a lot about these, and the 4/5 variants. Would have to be in top condition. I don't mind paying the price. Practical, economical, comfy, useful...and simple !
Amusingly I went into an Aldi for the first time ever today. I'll give that a miss in future.
>> Amusingly I went into an Aldi for the first time ever today. I'll give that
>> a miss in future.

May I ask why?
Well half the druggies and Goths from that end of town seemed to be shopping at the time we were there, I really couldn't be bothered to suss out their brands, the one very common item my daughter wanted wasn't there so we had to drive to Tesco, they had no fast or basket only checkouts, the queues were so long and there were no interesting cars in the car park.

Or did you mean why did I bother to go?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 12:26
Fenlander - unless you value a pleasant ambience and short queues far higher than good prices and quality you really ought to try Aldi again. I consider it a little bit upmarket from LIDL and often the quality for price ratio is outstandingly good.

There's good reason why the queues are long and why people are prepared to endure them.
I guess, and please don't think I'm expressing any strong opinions on the following choices but I suppose it's like many things in life.

For example a Mondeo estate will do more or less everything an E Class estate will do, a pair of supermarket jeans will do more or less what a pair of branded ones will, a greasy spoon cafe will succeed in making you less hungry just as well as a good restaurant will, a camping holiday in Wales might turn out to be just as good as a luxury beach holiday in the Caribbean and all of these at a lower cost but you might decide that some of those additional costs are worth it provided they can be funded.

It isn't always the lowest price which makes a purchase value for money and pleasurable.
 Quality or quantity? - CGNorwich
"There's good reason why the queues are long and why people are prepared to endure them."

Yep, the management have cut the service to the boned and their customers don't have a lot of money. You have to admit it is a fairly ghastly experience and to many worth a small premium to avoid.

To those that have no alternative but to shop there I offer my commiserations. I simply don't understand why anyone who had the choice would go there.

>> I simply don't understand why anyone who had the choice would go there.

I do not go there, I don't like the experience and its all too irritating.

My wife goes there, she likes it and enjoys finding bargains.

We have the same spending power (except she insists its all hers).
"I simply don't understand why anyone who had the choice would go there."

I have plenty of choice and do go there.

I am proud to admit I have a good few bob in the bank and the houses (yes - more than one) add up to a fair bit too. Our pension income is a bit feeble, but we get by on it well enough, what with at least half a dozen foreign trips a year and a long haul one every now and then.
In fact we want for nothing.

We have worked hard to get here and both of us here despise waste of any sort. I always have looked for value for money but not bought cheap. It goes part way to explaining why we have got it and some simply haven't. If I want a fancy telly I will research it to get the best one I can for my needs and will then research to get the best price (not necessarily cheapest) and only then just go and buy it.

But I will not spend say £5 on a bottle of wine in one of the big 4 supermarkets when I can get the identical product in Aldi for say £4. Yes, it takes a bit more time, which in reality reduces the time I can spend on internet fora which is no bad thing.

I also look at for cheaper fuel for the car and make a note of the prices going out so I can refuel on the way back from somewhere.

Sad maybe - content with my lot - you bet.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:44
 Quality or quantity? - sooty123

>>
>> To those that have no alternative but to shop there I offer my commiserations. I
>> simply don't understand why anyone who had the choice would go there.
>>

we've got the choice of 4 supermarkets. We choose Lidl for the vast majority. Other people in the shop don't bother me in the slightest, I don't really care how they look, act etc. Infact I never really thought it was so important to many till I read these types of threads. The stuff in there is good, cheap, plenty of free parking, easy to get to. None of the others have all that

Tesco in particular is rammed, far too busy for me, the car park is designed by someone who think eveyone drives a Smart car.

Only downside is they don't always have everything everytime, not really a drama though.
 Quality or quantity? - Boxsterboy
I too willingly shop at Lidl for a few reasons.
Their Moules Marriniere are better than Waitrose (seriously!), and their staple foods that taste the same everywhere (milk, eggs, bread, butter, etc.) are so much cheaper.
And it's convenient with easy parking.
Those who dismiss Lidl or Aldi on 'class' grounds are doing themselves a dis-service. Still, stay away and leave it quieter for the rest of us
>>Their Moules Marriniere are better than Waitrose (seriously!)

Waitrose sell mussels on the fish counter. It's almost as fast to make them yourself as to buy them.
 Quality or quantity? - Pat
>>Those who dismiss Lidl or Aldi on 'class' grounds are doing themselves a dis-service. Still, stay away and leave it quieter for the rest of us <<

I'm not doing myself a dis-service, I'm retaining my sanity. Like PeterS, I don't like any shopping experience enough to go to a supermarket and shop weekly online and have it delivered.

If Aldi and Lidl had an online service, I would never bring myself to deal with them and to actually go into a store is unthinkable for me.

It's the whole shopping experience of goods on pallets, checkout where if you have fumbly fingers everyone (including the checkout operator), loudly sighs at you.

Pat
My local Tesco is like a warzone. Trust me, it's horrid.

My local Asda involves queueing for hours. I wouldn't go there if they halved their prices.

My Waitrose is lovely, but it's a silly place to buy flour or oats or soap powder or ordinary pasta. And in any case, it's tiny.

My Lidl has lots of lovely interesting things to tempt me in - never know what delights I never needed that I do now before going in. There aren't queues worth worrying about. The trolleys are huge. The parking is free and bounteous. The fruit and veg are excellent and - unlike all too often in a supermarket - they're stacked up in their boxes rather than being decanted onto the shelf and bruised in the process.

And then they do whisky nice and cheap too.

underdogsbiteupwards.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/abrachan/
I bet I could checkout an identical quantity of shopping far more quickly, (from arriving at the checkout queue to paying for the items) at our local Aldi than our local Sainsbury.
Contactless payment is available for under the £20 limit, too.
The staff are unfailingly pleasant.
>> To those that have no alternative but to shop there I offer my commiserations. I

For me its quite straightforward; when it comes to spare time I find time itself more important than money, and I don't generally 'enjoy' shopping for day to day things like food and drink. If I valued money more than my time then I expect I'd be willing to shop around for cheaper prices on food - I don't and so getting everything in one place to an acceptable quality suits me just fine. I'll shop in either Sainsburys or Waitrose as a result.

And whilst I don't enjoy shopping for food per se, I'm not willing to tolerate a poor shopping experience either (Tesco, are you listening...)
 Quality or quantity? - Westpig
>> For me its quite straightforward; when it comes to spare time I find time itself
>> more important than money, and I don't generally 'enjoy' shopping for day to day things
>> like food and drink. If I valued money more than my time then I expect
>> I'd be willing to shop around for cheaper prices on food - I don't and
>> so getting everything in one place to an acceptable quality suits me just fine. I'll
>> shop in either Sainsburys or Waitrose as a result.
>>
>> And whilst I don't enjoy shopping for food per se, I'm not willing to tolerate
>> a poor shopping experience either (Tesco, are you listening...)
>>

Sums up my thoughts...together with Pat's about internet deliveries.

If I want fuel, I drive into the next mainstream garage..price doesn't come in to it.
 Quality or quantity? - Baz
Quite suprised at the animosity to Aldi/Lidl. We do most of our shopping there now and find quality to be probably better than most. But main reason is we are saving £25 to £30 a week on food, which is surely not insignificant. And probably eating better and healthier to. There are a couple of things we still pop in to Sains for but you guys are missing out and dare I say a bit snobbish? That's 100 quids worth of petrol a month free!
>> There are a couple of things we still pop in
>> to Sains for but you guys are missing out and dare I say a bit
>> snobbish? That's 100 quids worth of petrol a month free!
>>

Snobbery doesn't come into it for me. I can't buy everything I want in Lidl or Aldi, and I don't want to spend an extra 30 or 60 minutes a week visiting multiple supermarkets. I certainly don't want to spend time in supermarkets that don't provide me with an acceptable shopping experience. Which now includes a free newspaper and coffee ;-) And let's be honest it'll be nearer than 60 minutes than 30. And that's before the extra fuel or impulse buys along the way!!

I'd rather go to one that has everything I need. If I can pick up stuff ordered from John Lewis as well, well so much the better... And if that means I'm spending £30 a week more a week then, to me, that combined with getting home at 18:00 rather than 19:00 in the week or finishing shopping at 10:00 rather than 11:00 at the weekend is worth the money. Though having spent long enough in my life on the fringes of retail professionally I'm not convinced by the claimed savings, though of course YMMV as they say :-)
I guess we're lucky as the shop is large and actually it's quicker to go there than the others for us. For me a shop is to get round it as quick and cheap as possible, so it suits! Also we buy mainly fruit, veg and raw ingredients, so it's all there. Except maybe bread but I've cut that out largely these days.
The savings are real though, I'm sad enough to have tracked it for the first few weeks. That keeps my bike on the road! I guess we're all different in our attitude to money, for me it is about saving absolutely the most possible in order to quit work a few years early!
 Quality or quantity? - Zero

>> Snobbery doesn't come into it for me. I can't buy everything I want in Lidl
>> or Aldi, and I don't want to spend an extra 30 or 60 minutes a
>> week visiting multiple supermarkets.

Until very recently you couldn't find lamb in Lidl for example. They are improving, the quality is improving, however Aldi and Lidl are at the moment no cheaper than Asda.
My wife is terribly well organised about these things. She prepares Aldi lists, Sainsburys lists and other food retailer lists in advance of her foraging trips.

I don't interfere.

But I do help her to unload her car when she gets back if I'm around. I don't want her doing everything, she deserves a bit of assistance. I even stick around to advise her on how best to pack the freezer if time allows.
 Quality or quantity? - Armel Coussine
For me there's no such thing as a good shopping experience. The shorter the better. All supermarkets are much the same. You can't find what you're looking for and human cattle with their mouths open block all the gangways, taking longer than real cattle to twig that they are IN THE GODDAM WAY.

The checkout people are all right, but they don't make the experience any less tiresome.
>> Quite suprised at the animosity to Aldi/Lidl. We do most of our shopping there now
>> and find quality to be probably better than most.

Its not, it really really isn't.

Bought some bin liners from Aldi, by far the worst ones I have ever bought, even an empty coke can was enough to snap it. I like Aldi as they have some different stuff on offer, and their ready meals certainly seem to contain more veg at the same price point compared to Tesco.

Their grapes are excellent value too but you do need to be careful in there. The strange thing I find about Aldi is just how middle class it seems, although I tend go to to the one in Heaton Moor or Didsbury.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 20:46
 Quality or quantity? - Crankcase
Just done our Tesco shop on the ipad, so that was a sofa bound 20 minutes. Too tight to pay for delivery though, so we use click and collect. It's free at the minute, so we'll drop by on Thursday night before the Easter rush and pick it up on the way home from work, which usually takes three minutes flat.

Another week done. Phew.

But it's the same stuff surely....
I honestly think it's the same quality as say Sainsburys, where we shopped previously. I seriously cannot tell the difference. I'm not talking meat, as I don't buy it except for chicken- which is the same I reckon.
Fruit-same, veg-same, milk-same, yoghurts-same, tinned stuff-same, choccies-same or better.
bread-worse -possibly, frozen veg-same.
So what's better and where? I need to know! Exclude Waitrose which I know is premium.
>> But it's the same stuff surely....
>> I honestly think it's the same quality as say Sainsburys, where we shopped previously. I
>> seriously cannot tell the difference. I'm not talking meat, as I don't buy it except
>> for chicken- which is the same I reckon.
>> Fruit-same, veg-same, milk-same, yoghurts-same, tinned stuff-same, choccies-same or better.
>> bread-worse -possibly, frozen veg-same.
>> So what's better and where? I need to know! Exclude Waitrose which I know is
>> premium.

Avocados, worse than Sainsbury, baby figs? can't get them in Aldi or lidl, Aldi and Lidl tinned stuff worse by a large margin - their beans are awful.

And you only buy chicken - you can't make shepherds pie from chicken, and until very recently you could get lamb to make it in Lidl for example.

So whats the point in having to shop in two different stores, especially when lidl or aldi is much further away, and they get shirty about parking and try to fine you if you overstay by one minute.

>> And you only buy chicken - you can't make shepherds pie from chicken, and until
>> very recently you couldNT get lamb to make it in Lidl for example.
>>
>> So whats the point in having to shop in two different stores, especially when lidl
>> or aldi is much further away, and they get shirty about parking and try to
>> fine you if you overstay by one minute.
>>
Very different diets:-)
Agree there's less exotica there though.
I'm starting to think my diet is a bit limited you know....!
Parking's no problem there though, can park all day there if I wanted to. Regional differences, you're in the Sarf East aint yer. I'm in more civilised parts to the west of you ;-)
I take my 96yo aunt to Asda once a fortnight, after a Toby carvery. The latter experience us far worse. Whilst she is still playing 'bumper cars' in Asda I saunter next door to Aldi to get my maple syrup and a few other staples.
Then at her local Shell station I fill the tank with V Power.
A strange paradox as I try to save a few coppers in Aldi then fill up with premium fuel. If I really want to save some money I don' visit my local for a night or three. Beer at £2.90 x 5 soon adds up over the week, though not every night! Sometimes it's NZ Jackson Estate Sav Blanc @ £12 a bottle although Morrisons recently had it @ £7.29 so bought a few dozen. Hope my/our palates don't change in the next few weeks.
Quality WITH quantity should be my motto

>> Avocados, worse than Sainsbury, baby figs? can't get them in Aldi or lidl, Aldi and
>> Lidl tinned stuff worse by a large margin - their beans are awful.

The problem with Avocados is ripeness and avoiding those that go hard to rotten in 36hrs - pot luck in any supermarket. Locally, in Towcester, they've expanded the fruit/veg offer and moved it to the standard Tescobury's location just inside the door.

Aldi Baked Beans seem fine to me as do their tinned tomatoes -chopped or whole. They even do Chickpeas now. Frozen peas/beans/sweetcorn are indistinguishable from big supermarket product and considerably cheaper. Priced at 'basics' level but quality like main brand.

>> And you only buy chicken - you can't make shepherds pie from chicken, and until
>> very recently you could get lamb to make it in Lidl for example.

Meat was a weak point when we started using Aldi bit it's improving. Their fresh belly pork joint is an occasional 'special' but produces moist and flavoursome meat in more than enough quantity for a family of four. Minced lamb is available but if you buy their very good boned/rolled lamb shoulder joint the leftovers, chopped in the food processor, make far better Shepherd's Pie than any mince.

It is frustrating though when ordinary stock item's are suddenly discontinued - Haddock fillets both smoked and plain are a recent casualty.

>> So whats the point in having to shop in two different stores, especially when lidl
>> or aldi is much further away, and they get shirty about parking and try to
>> fine you if you overstay by one minute.

I guess it depends where you live. In Daventry or Towcester Aldi are in town with Tesco and Waitrose close by - walking distance in Dav.

The shirtiest store locally about parking is Sainsburys. To be fair though it's not their fault they're right next to a ground that's home to two football teams and within a tightwad's walk of one of the top teams in Premiership Rugger.

>> The problem with Avocados is ripeness and avoiding those that go hard to rotten in
>> 36hrs - pot luck in any supermarket.

Not so round here. I can get ripe avocados n Waitrose and Sainsbury almost 100% when I want them. Essential for home made guacamole
 Quality or quantity? - Armel Coussine
We go to these huge overbearing retail outlets because they are everywhere and because they have most of the things you might want. They are convenient.

But there are still proper shops, butchers and greengrocers, struggling against the global capitalist onslaught. Herself favours those, and so would I if I wasn't so idle and indifferent. They cost a bit more but their stuff is quite often of decent quality, and not sealed in plastic packets so of unknown vintage...

Our nearest big Tesco has a superb enormous free car park, never totally full. Nearest Waitrose has technically risky double yellow parking or a cheapo car park nearby. Nearest Sainsbury has free parking, never full. Wasps are rare in these parts, and their owners are amenable to argument. I think we have to go further afield for Asda or Lidl and that sort of thing. But they aren't much different.
Now your talking. Home made guacamole one of my specialities, together with margeritas.
The large mangos at Asda, £1.50, are more than acceptable. Skinned, sliced, then chilled in t'fridge.
One thing I would never, ever, buy at a supermarket is meat. Although not a large meat eater, I always support my local butcher. Yummy sausages which vary day to day, fabulous sirloin and proper smoked bacon. Even beef sausages the other day, which makes a nice change.
>> >> The problem with Avocados is ripeness and avoiding those that go hard to rotten
>> in
>> >> 36hrs - pot luck in any supermarket.
>> Not so round here. I can get ripe avocados n Waitrose and Sainsbury almost 100%
>> when I want them. Essential for home made guacamole

Ripe avocados are also available in our local Sainsbury and Waitrose stores. The wife will buy one or two most weeks.

We would have to go well out of our way for the nearest Lidl or Aldi. Might make the effort sometime.
>>Meat was a weak point when we started using Aldi bit it's improving

Bromp, do you not make use of the Man in a Van (its a light blue panel van with dark blue signwriting and a butchers table inside)?

If you're in the Towcester area then you really, really should. Great quality, lovely bloke and son, meat, game, stuff on request, acceptable prices and comes to the door.

Her ladyship who knows about such things swears by him.

I can dig out his details if you're interested.
Interesting, the conclusion seems to be that generally the favourite shop is the closest.

Those for whom it is Lidl/Aldi, then that's where they shop. Those for whom it is Tesco/Sainsbury shop there.

There are some evident exceptions, generally to do with queueing. I wouldn't touch Asda if it were a tenth the price of anywhere else, as it takes *hours*.

And then there is the Waitrose exception.

I guess I'm unusual in that I seldom drive to buy shopping. Probably four times a year.

>> I can dig out his details if you're interested.

If you could MArk that would be great, not Roger Elliot is it?. There is a Farmers Market in Towcester which we've used for several years but it's dying on it's feet in a vicious circle of declining use>fewer sellers>less use etc.
" I always support my local butcher"

Not here you wouldn't. We have one very close. I don't know where he gets his meat from (Smithfield Market ?) but when he arrives with it at his shop he pulls it out of the back of his private family people carrier. OK, the back seats are down and there is a sheet over the floor but it won't do for me - it doesn't even have aircon.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 16 Apr 14 at 11:49
 Quality or quantity? - neiltoo
>> " I always support my local butcher"
>>
A proper butcher needs a big enough trade to enable him to source his own meat in carcase, from a good slaughterman.
He needs to be able to cost in allowing it to hang, before he can butcher it himself.
Anything else is just another meat shop, supplied by a meat factory.

Neil
Bromp;

I assume he's still doing the mobile business. He was a total pleasure to deal with, very helpful and excellent product, so I hope he still is.

His Butcher's Shop in in Culworth, but he and/or his son drive around with the mobile van on a Saturday. He used to get to us in Woodend just before lunch. Many a happy sunday meal was bought!

David Mumford
High Street
Culworth
OX17 2BD

+44 1295 760212
I have just bought a copy of the Sun (YUK, what a rag!) specifically for a £5 ALDI voucher on a £40 spend.

We are in Suffolk visiting family, so a trip to Ipswich is on the cards for tomorrow. EARLY!

This :- tinyurl.com/og7sve4 is on offer, so might stock up for our own freezer at home!
Last edited by: Pigs-Might-Fly on Wed 16 Apr 14 at 16:02
Exclusive to Aldi? So you can't buy fresh british lamb anywhere else?
@ £3.99 a kilo?
Yes, Lidl was doing it for that two weeks ago.
You mean you actually ventured into a Lidl - O, the shame of it:-)
If I don't I can't justify my criticism now can I.
 Quality or quantity? - Boxsterboy
>> very recently you could get lamb to make it in Lidl for example.
>>

The Lidl minced beef is fine, trust me!
>> >> And you only buy chicken - you can't make shepherds pie from chicken, and
>> until
>> >> very recently you could get lamb to make it in Lidl for example.
>> >>
>>
>> The Lidl minced beef is fine, trust me!

But its not lamb.
>>But its not lamb.

But is it Tesco horse?
As its not in tesco, I would guess thats pretty unlikely.
>>
In my case it's because the major telephone provider in Germany was not up to scratch so I sacked them.
I was with T-mobile quite happy until they did something with their network which meant no telephone signal and no data connection at work or at home. After several attempts to get some action out of them and them continuously trying to upsell me to a faster data connection I walked.
I was paying 19.99€/month for 100mins any network calls and 200MB data unrestricted after which it was throttled back.

I went to Aldi and bought an Aldi SIM card for 12.99€ which came with 10€ credit.

9.99€ a month for 1.5GB data, I can change this to 5GB data for 14.99€/month. 0.03€/min to call other ALDItalk phones - I use about 20mins/month the bundle @ 2.99€ does not work for me. All this and no 2 year lock-in period. You credit the account and setup your default bundle. No credit, no topup and the contract ends. Contract runs for 30 days at a time.

ALDItalk uses the E-Plus network which is number three after T-mobile and Vodafone.
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 16 Apr 14 at 18:02
 Quality or quantity? - Ted

Aldi and Lidl often have beer at a quid a bottle. Enough reason for calling in like wot I will be doing tomorrow on me way back from Stockport !
Overheard in Waitrose (Satire)
Link to the Telegraph.

tinyurl.com/pczp882
Latest Forum Posts