Motoring Discussion > Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee)
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 56

Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - R.P.
As mentioned elsewhere...We picked this car up from E-Bay. It was advertised at 1300 quid...the local seller was beaten down by Mrs RP to £1100. It has 29k up which seems genuine. MoT until December. - It's er...yellow, very yellow. It has a dent on the nearside panel and another on the wing, which we may or may not get repaired. Had a pile of work done for the last MoT - including wishbones and two coil springs...sits on 4 new tyres. Drives well enough - superb quality feel to the switches and clutch and gear-change. It will need front discs and pads - advisory on the last MoT (Halfords will do them for £150 notes...but I'll get other prices) I'll get the oil and brake fluids done as well. Very good little drive. Spent the afternoon de-bugging it and removed the rear seat squab to flatten the load area. Simplicity. Found 25p under the seats !
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Meldrew
I had one and moved on. Wasn't happy with the air pump and gunge puncture arrangements - went out and bought a steel wheel, tyre and a jack.
It has a spare...the bolt securing the very rusty cage was pretty well oiled. The wheel was filthy (obviously) and carried a Kleber tyre and a dented rim. Was carrying 20psi though - so pumped it up and will look out for a replacement on local classifieds or scrappy.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - PeterS
Perhaps the spare is the same size the one on the Fiesta... Time for a quick swap? Or is it too late because it's already scrapped?
Bigger wheels...we'd considered that ! Fiesta has gone...
Ah well! Ka wheels must be fairly easy to find though - fingers crossed!
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Westpig
What year is it?
2014 dear. ( :-) ) 55 plate 06 reg.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 12 Apr 14 at 18:12
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - RattleandSmoke
Good little cars with simple engines, I even managed to fix a friends that broken down which was revving by itself. Turned out the body throttle had come away having no tools with me I simply used elastic bands which worked for the journey back.

Main issue with them as I am sure you will know is rust especially round the suspension mounts and seatbelt anchors as that is an MOT failure, but I am sure you have already checked all that.

Always loved the gear change on the Fiesta/Ka is the one thing I miss about my Fiestas.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Westpig
>> 2014 dear. ( :-) ) 55 plate 06 reg.
>>

You've got it for virtually 'trade' ..although the colour/condition would knock a bit of value off it. Good deal that.
It has a dent...! Nothing to worry about though.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - DP
Surely worth doing the pads and discs yourself. £60 or so for quality branded bits from somewhere like ECP, and no more than 30-40 mins a side even taking your time. No special tools or other known issues involved in this job on a KA.
My mechanical skills have limits...
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - bathtub tom
Time to learn new ones?

Think of the job satisfaction.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - jc2
This one,of course, has the OHC engine,chain cam,roller followers,hydraulic tappets-an outstanding engine.A worthy successor to the Valencia/Kent.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Zero
Is it the one where the Plugs rust into the head?
That was the old one...
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Manatee
>> Time to learn new ones?
>>
>> Think of the job satisfaction.
>>
Think of the worry every time he uses the brakes:)
Yes in one Manatee...I don't trust myself...
Forgot that this had chain driven cams. Scratch that from the to-do list. This is the to-do list so far.

1. Front discs and pads

2. Brake Fluids

3. Oil Change

4. Coolant change

5. Filters including pollen one

There's a reliable enough garage in the next village.

The previous motor had a chain driven cam-just lower down the engine.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - madf
Inspect under the rear wheel arches and under the rear boot floor VERY carefully.. There is a metal plate somewhere there which bolts on : rust is notorious underneath it...
Cheers.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Runfer D'Hills
Aye, ye're doomed, doomed ah tell ye !

;-)
Quote for the following.

Brake discs and pads
Oil CHange (Edge 5-30)
Brake Fluid Change
Coolant change.

£235.00 - National Tyres. Halfords wanted £160.00 for the discs/pads, 40 for the oil plus another 40 for both coolant and Brake fluid.
How much for the paper bag to wear over your head when driving it or do they throw that in free?

;-)
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - No FM2R
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 14:24
I think its really rather jolly. I feel rather Metrosexual in a rural sort of way. My lovely neighbour likes it...!
That's good then, given what it's done to her house price and everything.
That is exactly what I said to her...
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Fenlander
>>> I feel rather Metrosexual in a rural sort of way.

The only one in the village?
Another two V40s arrived on Sunday....(new house up the lane, seems to be His and Hers - I'll rev the T5 outside to wind them up, pound to a penny they're skinny latte diesels.)
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - Alanovich
>> Coolant change.

I've given up doing those. The last two I've done (on a Mazda 6 and a Renault Laguna) have resulted in leaking water pumps.

If the expansion tank's full and it looks clean, I'm not touching it.
MoT time today....sailed through no advisories.....£35.00 bargain at my local bike shop. Ref the back seat, I asked the tester about the rear seat. He said if it had been submitted for an MoT with the squab out it would have passed with an advisory "not able to test rear seat belts". Took ten minutes to put it in, less to take it out.
Have you removed the seat bit and the backrest or just one of them ? It has sometimes occurred to me that I could manage with a smaller cheaper car if I could create more loadspace easily. Just musing really, always do when it comes time to fill out my tax return...probably won't come to anything of course.

;-)
The sitting on bit ! The backrest folds down flat into the liberated space there-after. Two self tappers and a bracket.
Hmmm, wonder what would realise 1700-2000L of loadspace using that method, be good to drive and wouldn't cost gazillions in bik?

:-).....no complicated electronics in a Ka....I suppose Airbaggy things might cause a problem.
I kind of need a van, tough to waft in a van though.
BTW, don't anyone suggest the "E" word. I've been fine for months and haven't needed any of my pills.

;-)
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - WillDeBeest
...don't anyone suggest the "E" word.

'Estate'?

As one of nature's Fordophiles, would you consider an S-max? Was pretty impressed when I tried one soon after launch, even with the rattly old 1.8 diesel. Nice interior too, much nicer than the cheesy Mondeo one.

It was available then in a five-seat version with a sliding load floor instead of the third row of seats. Would probably hurt private resale value but might be just the job for you - if it's still offered of course.
No No No WDB Es****....
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - ....
>> BTW, don't anyone suggest the "E" word. I've been fine for months and haven't needed
>> any of my pills.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

But...but...but you have an E class, what's wrong with it? ;-)

Do they do the hybrid engine in the Sprinter van then you could offset all the tax doing the odd man with a van trip, airport runs for large families etc...
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - No FM2R
1) You like the car
2) It does the required job
3) You can afford it.

I think you've already got it right. I cannot see what other vehicle could improve on one of those factors except at the expense of worsening one of the others.
Right answer Mark ! I'll just not wear my glasses when I fill in the tax return ( again )

;-)
Couldn't you improve the tax side of it by asking your employer to replace it with a new, hybrid (E300?) version. Same Diesel engine as the 250, plus battery and motor combo. Other than that, I'd agree - just keep it. Any saving will be small in the great scheme of things and not offset the compromises necessary in other areas :-)
Yeah, a friend has got a Porsche Cayenne hybridy thing as his new co car. Not bad on tax either. Goes like fun but we've warned him that people might flag him down and ask to buy substances...

;-)

The E hybrid might well be worth a look. Good call Peter. No rush to be honest, the current one is doing fine for now. Must wash it sometime come to think.

Left very central London, Cavendish Sq, at exactly the wrong time yesterday ( 5.00 pm ) to drive back to Cheshire. You can imagine the traffic being a Friday night. The big Merc took quite a lot of the pain out of it I guess and managed 52mpg on the run despite the first hour averaging 20mph. Good bit of kit all round. Needs new back tyres, the last ones have done very nearly 40,000 so quite happy with that. Handy enough to get some decent tread on the back with winter coming. It seems to manage well enough on normal tyres in the winter as long as they have plenty of tread depth.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 8 Nov 14 at 14:17
You would be surprised about the electronics, think all cars by law have required CANBUS since 2001. That said my friends Ka broke down once, the engine was so simple I was able to fix it with an elastic band until she got it to the garage it was a loose throttle position sensor.
 Ford KA, KA2, KA3 - 2006 Ford Ka....(Bumble Bee) - bathtub tom
>> think all cars by law have required CANBUS since 2001.

My 2003 Nissan certainly wasn't!

Are you confusing CANBUS with OBD, perhaps?
Ka certainly has old school wiring.
It might have just applied to new designs. Actually while I wasn't confusing the two I have probably read this wrong from Wiki in the past

"CAN bus is one of five protocols used in the on-board diagnostics (OBD)-II vehicle diagnostics standard. The OBD-II standard has been mandatory for all cars and light trucks sold in the United States since 1996, and the EOBD standard has been mandatory for all petrol vehicles sold in the European Union since 2001 and all diesel vehicles since 2004.[5]"

That said I know of many cars that moved to CANBUS in 2001 such as the Peugeut 206. So it seems old school wiring is allowed, but as CANBUS is probably cheaper to manufacture I doubt it is in use anymore. I simple Panda certainly uses CANBUS.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 8 Nov 14 at 15:08
Don't think CANBUS has ever been a legal requirement.EOBD has been but only on new cars.A 2006 would be a genuine Ford-not a Fiat with a Ford badge and would have come with a spare wheel, not as an option.That's Fiat.
The FIAT one won't rust though :D
There is that
I've owned a Fiat-the galvanized chassis didn't rust but everything else did.
Just realised we've had this nearly a year. In that time we've put over 10000 miles in it. Replaced two bulbs on it in that time. Nothing else. Lovely little engine runs smoothly and uses not oil. Being treated to a service tomorrow. Sailed through its last MoT in December, no advisories. Reported the fact that the back seat had been removed to L&V - no extra premium or admin charge.
My wife had a 2004 one from new. Nothing at all went wrong with it for the 6 years she had it ( until she rolled it that is... )

:-(
Latest Forum Posts