Motoring Discussion > Your daily commute Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 37

Your daily commute - legacylad
If not now, then previously...

Up to five years ago (when the body cried enough and temporarily broke down, dammit) mine was about 90 mins in the am, 5.30 depart to wholesaler in Bradford then on to work by 8.30. Leave at 6 , home by 7 six days a week. Nice easy drive, majority of it in open country on the A65 apart from a bit of urban. Did it for years and never bothered me at all because I always enjoyed driving my VW Transporters.
Nowadays it's a most pleasant 15 minute stroll to work (3 or 4 days a week)with gorgeous scenery which I take for granted.

Having to commute on a busy motorway would be my worst nightmare
 Your daily commute - R.P.
Not a bad one for me - 15 mile - takes twenty minutes to half an hour. It's a grind and one of the ten reasons I might quit. I love doing it by bike in Spring/Summer/Autumn.
 Your daily commute - Skip
Normally a 25 mile commute into London on M2/A2, when the schools are off its no problem, but at other times it can be a PITA. However sometimes I have to travel to our other sites which are all over the UK.
 Your daily commute - Runfer D'Hills
I think doing the same journey on the same roads at the same time to the same workplace every day, every month, every year would probably have me in the funny farm.
 Your daily commute - bathtub tom
Two mile cycle ride for the last twenty years of my career, unless it was raining, then I took the car even though it took longer.

Often rode home in the rain.
 Your daily commute - Mike Hannon
At one time I used to commute through the breathtaking scenery of the Dorset coast from Portland to Bridport, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I never took much notice and did little but moan about the blinking caravans, nine months of the year.
 Your daily commute - Bromptonaut
Pretty much always a train or tube to Central London. Bus, Shank's Pony, car and push bike fill in gaps at either end.

Since 1986 the destination station was Euston and work around Chancery Lane/Lincoln's Inn.

The Brompton bike was the best 'augment' of all. No direct tube from Euston to that area and the bus was slow and unpredictable. Walk 20-30 minutes and predictable. On the bike it's 10-12 minutes with added benefit that the ride's a buzz.

Worst ever was four weeks outstationed at Brentford for training and having to drive from Harrow. Any longer and it would have driven me mad.
 Your daily commute - sooty123
20 mile commute on the edge of a town then fast country roads. Very little traffic most of the time, even when it's 'bad' far better than most other places I suspect. It's a good run, plus I'm outside most of the day, better than been cooped up inside in conference rooms, business meetings, offices etc everyday.
Not everyday though I work away several times per year.
Wouldn't want to commute any further, travelling in traffic and in cities everyday even if they were different would be too much for me, even 20 miles is the limit, for 10 years I used to walk to work.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 10:15
 Your daily commute - DP
20 miles, including 3 junctions of the M3 and some cross country stuff.

I allow an hour. Usually takes most of it.
 Your daily commute - Fenlander
I remember this being done years ago on HJ when my commute was a lengthy 30m or so down the yard to the workshop. It's now a much more manageable walk downstairs via the kitchen to our home office.

Mrs F on the other hand is still employed but has an idyllic commute of 10mls along B roads through farmed countryside with just one small village and the rest uncluttered gently rolling proper driver's roads.

She borrowed the Alfa to do that run yesterday and the brake pads were actually smoking when she got back here.... to say I grumbled would be an understatement.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 10:40
 Your daily commute - diddy1234
35 minute drive that's 18 miles each way.
No traffic to or from work as I go the opposite direction to everyone else (I go north on the A1m every morning and south in the evening).

A nice relaxing drive to and from work.
I do however wonder why people put up with sitting stationary on the south bound A1m.
Some days the traffic attempting to go south bound must be queued up for over 10 miles. Sod that every day.
Looking at moving this year nearer to work as I have been commuting this direction for the past 8 years.

Worst commute was when I worked in London, Camden town.
3 trains and nearly 3 hours each way. Felt a very long day.
 Your daily commute - Stuu
Generally 15 miles or so, most of my customers are village based so once I get out of town which takes a couple of minutes it is either A and B roads which are rarely busy or I cut across country down the lanes which are never busy. Rarely takes more than 25 mins unless I get stuck behind a tractor.
 Your daily commute - Mike H
Before I was made redundant in 2002, I spent 7 years driving 20 miles across country, a real mix but never boring, and actually quite relaxing before and after a day's toil! Some of it was only single track, some was between hedges with no view, but my favourite bit was an elevated section with far reaching views across the Hampshire countryside. Got a bit hairy sometimes on the narrow bits, particularly when oncoming drivers commuting the other way were late for work and pushing on.....after the redundancy it was a two hour commute into Putney by train - five years of that was enough to drive me a little nuts.
 Your daily commute - RichardW
30 miles each way Lanark - Grangemouth. Been doing it nearly 13 years now. Cross country roads - quite a few numpties driving slowly(*) and lorries, so it generally takes 45 mins in the morning, and 55 in the evening. Stunning views up to Mountains (Sometimes, just grey and driech more often than not). Do it mostly in the dark for 4 months a year. Couldn't be doing with a heavy mway commute, or across town. I used to cycle the 6 miles to the office when we lived in Reading - it was faster than driving - miss being able to do that now, but 30 miles is a bit far.

* although I haven't recently seen the Boxster that only does 45 mph, or the guy that drives a series of sporty Renaults, at the same speed
Last edited by: RichardW on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 11:28
 Your daily commute - Westpig
If I'm driving the van I have to walk to my driveway, then decide to drive 1.5 miles down a small country lane to one shop..or..2.5 miles the other way down a 'B' road to the other shop, both on the edge of Dartmoor.

If I'm working for myself, I get out of bed and walk to my office in the corner of the bedroom.
 Your daily commute - T junction
Less than 10 minute walk up through the town to the office. Actual time depends who you see and stop to talk to!

So how do I manage to drive 30-35k per year? I'm not in the office very often!
 Your daily commute - Lygonos
>>I used to cycle the 6 miles to the office when we lived in Reading - it was faster than driving - miss being able to do that now, but 30 miles is a bit far

And also likely to be fatal after not too long. Quite a few helmets driving between Armadale/Whitburn/Forth.
 Your daily commute - RichardW
True, there are at least 3 bits of fence that get regularly visited by those that can't seem to follow the big black stripe otherwise known as the road....!
 Your daily commute - Focusless
3 days a week it's a 160 mile approx round trip between Reading and Bath; been doing it for nearly 8 years now (with minor variations). Best part of 4 hours in total between doors, but I enjoy it.

Most of it consists of sitting on an Intercity 125 reading/working/snoozing, but there's also a 5 minute journey on another train between Reading and the local station, plus a couple of miles of walking/jogging. Leave the house at 6.10 to be in the office a couple of hours later, exact time depending on how long the free coffee queue is in Bath Waitrose. Leave the office at 4.30, usually back by 6.15-ish.

I've previously worked within walking/cycling distance of home; that was good, and of course cheaper (it's £25 for the Bath trip on advance tickets). But I'm happy doing the long commute, although no doubt that would change if I didn't enjoy the job.
 Your daily commute - borasport
The short way is 15 miles of traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, speed bumps, 20mph zones and at least two days a week where local councils think 8-9am is a good time for bin collections on main roads

The long way is 27 miles, and can (cough) take 25 minutes, but not at the time I'm usually travelling. It is nearly always the quickest, calmest route - Radio 4 extra or a good audio book provide fair distraction, but repairs to the Thelwall viaduct screw the southbound M6 day in, day out at the moment - took 27 minutes to do hte first 4 miles last monday, and it has to be very good listening to ease that pain, unfortunately, Round the Horne has been replaced by 'Listen with Les' (Dawson), which might have been funny at the time.......
 Your daily commute - Fursty Ferret
Just under 40 miles, A41 and M25. Most of the time outside rush hour, but fortunately only drive it 2 - 3 times a week.

Couldn't do it every day. It's a bit unbearable at the moment because I accidentally dropped a coin down the steering column (don't ask) and it's rattling non stop. It's held on by about a million bits of plastic trim and a multitude of Torx bits and I have a horrid feeling it's tangled up in the airbag clock spring as there's a deeply worrying twanging noise when you turn the wheel quickly...
Don't worry about it, it's a Vauxhall. Before long there'll be lots of other noises to drown it out.

;-)
 Your daily commute - sooty123
It's a bit unbearable at the moment because I accidentally
>> dropped a coin down the steering column

Better dropped there than work eh? ;-)
 Your daily commute - sherlock47

>>>Better dropped there than work eh? ;-) <<<

Sure? The 3rd dimension could get you out of immediate trouble when it all locks solid :)
 Your daily commute - Dave_
I spent 2 years travelling from Coalville to a village outside Melton Mowbray; 28 miles / 45 minutes on trunk roads or 24 miles / 45 minutes through the centre of Loughborough. Eventually worked out the path of least resistance across country and got it down to 35 minutes of properly decent driving roads with only the odd queue in Barrow upon Soar.

Last December I moved house to the village where work's based; now my commute is either a 5 minute walk or a 60 second drive, depending on the weather. I have to look presentable when I get there, so a good soaking at 5.00am is not an option.
 Your daily commute - commerdriver
Just doing part 1 of this week's commute on 0700 from Kings X to Edinburgh, to be followed by taxi from station to client and then from client to hotel.
Tuesday / Wednesday 20 min walk or 5 min taxi ride if it's wet to client & back then
Thursday taxi to client then to station for 1630 back to London

Pattern every week since November probably for the next 9 months or so.

Same sort of thing as last 10-15 years if client far away, sometimes client site is closer & can commute each day, varying from 50 mile drive, to met line commute into central London, interspersed with periods of working from home where clients look for the project delivery rather than physical attendance.

Seems an unusual routine here but a very common one within the IT world.

Livable with for us now as kids have all flown the nest & SWMBO teaches so is busy marking etc for the 3 nights I am away so we can get maximum time the other days.
 Your daily commute - Focusless
>> Just doing part 1 of this week's commute on 0700 from Kings X to Edinburgh

Sounds like fun :) How long does that take?
 Your daily commute - Boxsterboy
4 days a week I drive from Leatherhead to London NW10. I need a car for work (surveyor) which takes me all over the place, and so I am not always going direct to or from the office. The direct journey can take 45 mins to 1.30, depending on how bad the traffic is/what time of day. I have tried the train in the past with a small car in town, but it was slower and significantly more expensive, as well as inconvenient given the irregular travel patterns.

I enjoy driving and am patient when it comes to traffic, which is essential if you have a commute which is prone to time fluctuations that are out of your control.
 Your daily commute - commerdriver
the London to Edinburgh bit is 4h20min each way with 45 min on the underground in London and 20 min in a taxi in the north.
Long journey but nice place at the end of it, but it's not home
 Your daily commute - Dieselboy
My daily commute depends on which ambulance station I'm working from - anything between a 13 mile run of 40mph A roads to a 40 mile motorway run. I rarely travel during peak hours luckily so make good progress, especially when I finish at 0200hrs!

Totally different to my old commute from Southport to Chester. 50 miles of motorway, dual carriageway abd windy roads that would take an hour at best, up to two hours at worst if the Runcorn bridge was snarled up. Couldn't even think about doing that now, or sit at a desk all day every day. Nah, not for me.
 Your daily commute - spamcan61
88-91 Northampton-Luton 360 miles per week
91-93 Northampton-Huntingdon 380 miles per week
93-01 Amazingstoke-Camberley area 250 miles per week
01-now (apart from 2011) Christchurch area-Farnborough area 660 miles per week

I've worn out quite a few cars!
 Your daily commute - Roger.
Years ago: Pratts Bottom (Kent) to Preston Road, Harrow, by car. Soon got to know the rat runs, but would not like to try it today.
Last edited by: Pigs-Might-Fly on Mon 14 Apr 14 at 21:41
Pratts Bottom? Wow!

My mate used to live in a cottage called Bunny's End. We used to send Christmas cards and so on addressed to Rabbit's.....

Ach well never mind, they got there.
 Your daily commute - Ted

When I'm needed, I make the 3 mile run into the city centre. I know all the rat-runs and often the run isn't in the rush hour anyway. I can park virtually anywhere for free so I'm not wasting time searching for a spot. If I take a car for service it's another 8 miles to Stockport where I sit in reception for a couple of hours, watch their telly, read their paper, drink their coffee and watch ' my ' service advisor, Angela, clacking about in her short skirt and killer heels !

Perks of the job, what-ho !

Sometimes I go in on the tram....free to us oldsters and a hundred yard walk from home.

I have done a 28 mile commute across the Pennines to Huddersfield but it was out of normal rush periods and I could vary the route X about 4. Never failed to get through, snow or ice.
 Your daily commute - Alanovich
Home to local railway station (1.5 miles), drop the wife off, 5 miles to children's school, drop them off, 5 more miles to my office. Same in reverse. Usually takes an hour and a quarter in the mornings.

The office is actually only 3 miles from my house. I'd go by pushbike in about 20 minutes if I didn't have all the others to drop off.
 Your daily commute - IJWS14
I have a choice

28 miles of wide A roads and dual carriage way including a trip through Lichfield.
32 miles of mainly Motorway (M6) with some good A roads
30 miles of narrower A roads with some give and take bridges

Any combination (except the motorway)

Depends how I feel on a given morning and where the traffic news says there are problems, Takes between 40 and 50 minutes. Evenings after 6 M6 is generally quicker - even allowing for spaghetti and M5 junction.
 Your daily commute - Crankcase
12 miles or so. Countryish road, little bit of A14, town.

Takes about 35 minutes in the mornings at about 7, but about 45 to 70 in the evenings starting about 5.

Could take guided bus, but petrol costs are about £2.50 at very tops for the day, and bus, two people, for same would be £12, plus drive to bus stop anyway. Also soon to be £1 a day to park there, so will be £13.

Could cycle but Mrs C can't, so still costs £6 to send her on bus, plus she needs lift to bus stop (30 minute walk), then drive back to get bike.

Or could move nearer, but would mean serious downsize to small semi on outskirts. Not sure we could afford to move to within walking distance of centre at all.

Often feels like "go to work, come back, repeat until dead".

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 16 Apr 14 at 08:19
 Your daily commute - Zero
In my time I have done them all.

Several years on the 70s of British Rail slam door stand up in the isle 07:38 to Waterloo and back.
Several years of Southwest Trains 07:38 air con stock with a seat.

Several years of falling out of bed into the car and off to the first appointment somewhere within 30 miles and then another 200 miles that day going to "places various" This was often interspersed with phone calls at 02:30 in the morning and falling out of bed into the car and going somewhere and then back home at 05:30 in the morning.

Several years of 3 miles to work and 3 miles back.

Several years of working at home.

Several years of 300 mile drives on monday morning, and 300 miles back on Friday.
A year or so of the monday BA 07:00 flight out and the friday 19:00 flight back

and now is the morning commute from bed to kitchen for breakfast.

Latest Forum Posts