Motoring Discussion > Self-lit roads Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 5

Self-lit roads - Focusless
Here's an idea from those crazy Dutch - save on streetlighting costs by getting the roads to light themselves:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27021291

Well that's what the report is saying, but I would have thought it's more enhanced cats eyes than streelights, and the latter will still be desirable in (for example) residential areas.
 Self-lit roads - Bromptonaut
Plenty illuminated cats-eyes in the UK. Locally we have them on the B4525 between Banbury and the A43.
 Self-lit roads - Crankcase
I see they plan to extend it so it shows the temperature at the road surface in some manner as well.

Perhaps the road surface will become some sort of "intelligent display" in the future.

Feeble ideas that strike me instantly are arrows on the road (or edges or inset sections) that illuminate telling you which way to turn at strategic points tailored to your route, roads that turn red if you are speeding, emergency warnings that light up if there's an accident ahead, advertising of course, whatever else can be thought of - if it can be done, it will be.

Self-lit roads - Cliff Pope
No need to limit the interaction to the road surface.
You could put your route into sat-nav-online, and all roadsigns would become personalised as you approached them.
Service not available without valid tax/insurance.

Perhaps with interactive voice activation.
 Self-lit roads - Dog
>>roads that turn red if you are speeding

Seen a phew of those, must be an awful job for whoever has to clean up afterward.
 Self-lit roads - VxFan
Not the sucess they thought it would be.

Wrong type of rain.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27187827

Latest Forum Posts