Motoring Discussion > Brake Pad Brands Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 58

Brake Pad Brands - Dulwich Estate
It's a very long time since I bought any brake pads and my knowledge of "good quality" brands is out of date. I remember Ferodo.

Looking around I've seen Pagid as a brand but have no idea about them but they are more costly then most.

Any tips please. Quality comes before price in the brake department.
 Brake Pad Brands - Number_Cruncher
Among the makers of spurious car parts, Pagid aren't bad - you should find they fit well and are R90 compliant.
 Brake Pad Brands - Lygonos
Brembo and Bosch have always served me well as aftermarket pads/discs, and some years ago I used Mintex although I recall some mention of them not being as 'good as they used to be' but that's probably an anecdotal opinion I picked up from an interweb forum.
 Brake Pad Brands - bathtub tom
'Blueprint' seems to be a brand name that's cropping up on all sorts of components in my local motor factors.

Any comments as to its suitability?
 Brake Pad Brands - Fenlander
Pagid pads are fine and seem to meet OE spec/performance well... which is more than can be said for some supplier's cheapest option.
 Brake Pad Brands - Armel Coussine
Pads used to be made of asbestos fabric. They were softer and less long-lasting than these modern hard sintered-metal pads, but the better ones worked very well and the discs lasted much longer. Sintered metal ones seem to get through discs quicker.

Brake fade is almost a thing of the past with discs more or less universal, but not quite. Fade is a bit alarming when you know you have all discs.

'Mimse. You know it makes sense.' Pity it becomes unbearable after a few miles.
>>>Brake fade is almost a thing of the past

Almost being the crucial word when Mrs F has torn the pants off the Alfa on B-roads.
 Brake Pad Brands - Dulwich Estate
Well, that's at least 3 brands to be getting on with - thanks so far.
 Brake Pad Brands - Rudedog
ATE make OE pads for many of the German marques.
 Brake Pad Brands - Zero
>> Well, that's at least 3 brands to be getting on with - thanks so far.

As it happens, I have this very day been swopping tyres front to rear, and stripping and cleaning brakes. I fitted pagid pads and disks about 30k miles ago. They fit well, wear well, stop well. All in all would recommend them.
 Brake Pad Brands - Runfer D'Hills
>> As it happens, I have this very day been swopping tyres front to rear...

Keep thinking I should get around to doing that on the Qashqai. All 4 tyres are at around 5mm tread but the back ones are originals and are now 6 years old whereas the fronts are newer but have now worn to much the same depth. As the car is currently on about 45,000 miles the back ones back ones in theory could go another 6 years if we keep it that long so it might be wise to rotate them before they get too much older.

My inner boy racer ( if that is the term nowadays ) would qute like to put some Pirelli Scorpions or something else rufty tufty looking on it one day anyway.

No, I don't know why either.

Kind of the same reason I put Wolfrace alloys on my Spitfire in 1978 and subsequently put General Grabbers with white lettering and a pair of humongous Cibies on the bull bar on my Land Rover I suppose.

Cibies would look crap on a Qashqai though wouldn't they...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 18:06
 Brake Pad Brands - Zero
>> >> As it happens, I have this very day been swopping tyres front to rear...
>>
>> Keep thinking I should get around to doing that on the Qashqai.

The lancer has a tendency to wear the outside shoulders on the front and the centre & inner shoulder on the rears. So after a while the fronts go on the back, where they end up evenly worn!
 Brake Pad Brands - Chas
Pagid and Mintex are both brands from TMD Friction so one of the same really.

www.tmdfriction.com/
 Brake Pad Brands - Dieselboy
No mention of Eicher yet, they seem to be priced between Pagid and Mintex on Euro Car Parts.

Just fitted front discs and pads to my Mazda6. Main dealer wanted £419 all in, independent quoted £150. Instead I spent £77 at ECP and a couple of hours under the watchful eye of my brother in law, who is a 'man who can'. The discs that were on must have been there since new - they were a pig to get off.
Last edited by: Dieselboy on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 18:08
 Brake Pad Brands - Stuartli
If you look up the prices for such car parts on, say, GSF, you'll find quite a spread of prcies between the various brands. VTech, for instance, is about half the price as the Brembo equivalent for a front brake pads set.
>>>No mention of Eicher yet

I'd hesitated to.... they're what I fitted to the Alfa 4mths ago after the totally satisfactory Pagid pads it had on previously.

The Eichers are OKish in normal driving but if you ask for stop after stop on B-roads they fade alarmingly... hence my totally serious comment about Mrs F arriving back home the other day with smoke pouring from the pads!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 18:35
 Brake Pad Brands - Manatee
Eicher is ECP's own brand. They describe it iirc as entry level so I'd expect them to be cheaper than either Mintex or Pagid. The Eicher parts will be far eastern in origin, not German. But I wouldn't guarantee any of the proper European brands are manufactured here either.

Personally I still wouldn't buy Eicher.
>>> They describe it iirc as entry level

Yep as in a new entry to someone's garden through their hedge.
Ah well, they're on now so that's that. First impressions aren't bad to be honest although I haven't demanded much of them. If they turn out to be tosh I'll change them - assuming I'm still alive.
 Brake Pad Brands - Zero

>>Main dealer wanted £419 all in,

Good lord thats outrageous even by main dealer standards.

Isn't it? I did enquire if solid gold was any good as a material for discs.
 Brake Pad Brands - RattleandSmoke
Similar to my stich up.

£170 for the safety report and oil change - fair enough we agreed the phone.
Oh btw the front tyre is down to 4mm and should be changed, we can do it for £80 I asked what brand it was a brand I didn't know - I declined. A proper brand tyre for my car is around £50 for a premium.

They told my front break pads needed doing and it will cost me £160 - I was trying not to laugh but told him my mate can do that for me. I took it to a local indie who confirmed the pads were shot, but did the pads for £45.00 including labour.

So the dealer would have got £410 for a basic service (oil change), a budget tyre and two new front pads.

4000 miles later, that front tyre some how still has 4mm on tread on it although it is wearing at the side so will probably replace it soon well over a year since the dealer said it needed changing. Oh and a tyre place has looked at that tyre too when they replaced one that was knifed, they could not believe the dealer said it needed changing either, "nout wrong with that sir"

I will have to see how my new garage gets on, they serviced it last month and pointed some points (rusting back box, worn front top mounts and a tiny lip on a one of the discs) checked myself and sure enough they right. Getting the suspension done next week then asking them to MOT it.

What sort of car are they on on Dieselboy? We also have Eichers on our 1.4 diesel C3 and that doesn't have the power or weight to stress them.
2009 Mazda6 2.2d. And before anyone says, I know all about the DPF issues!
 Brake Pad Brands - Shiny
Avoid Eucher and Allied Nippon. They are both made on an indian slum hillside and have Germanic/Japonic sounding names to fool you. They are rubbish and should be illegal in my opinion. There seems to be no enforcement of the ECR90 standard unlike in the BS days why would any one EU member state want to pay for enforcement for all of them.
 Brake Pad Brands - bathtub tom
Decades ago I fitted Moprod pads from Halfords.

They faded to nothing coming down a Welsh hillside and I recall looking for a reasonable place on my nearside to crash into so as to dump the speed. Fortunately the handbrake on the rear drums was sufficient to scrub enough speed until the things cooled down.

I fitted a different brand the next weekend and haven't bought any safety related items from that place since.
 Brake Pad Brands - No FM2R
[sigh]

Old thread, didn't notice.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 17:24
 Brake Pad Brands - Chas
>> Avoid Eicher and Allied Nippon. They are both made on an indian slum hillside and
>> have Germanic/Japonic sounding names to fool you. They are rubbish and should be >>illegal in my opinion. There seems to be no enforcement of the ECR90 standard unlike in >>the BS days why would any one EU member state want to pay for enforcement for
>> all of them.

And you know that for a fact do you??

Allied Nippon brake friction parts are made in both India and China in modern plants complying to ECR90 to be legally sold. Engineering and quality standards are maintained by a UK management team - FACT.
 Brake Pad Brands - CGNorwich
If you drive a Honda or Volvo you may well have pads supplied by Allied Nippon.

www.alliednippon.com/customers.html
>>>Mazda6 2.2d

Ahh so it has the potential to stress them. You'll soon know and if they're fine... then they're fine.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 23:41
 Brake Pad Brands - DP
Pagid, Ferodo, Delphi, ATE, Bendix, Bosch, EBC and Mintex all used in the past with performance not noticeably different to OE for normal road use.

Given the prices the likes of ECP sell the above for, why risk cheap stuff like Eicher?
GSF has always, to the best of my knowledge, offered the original OEM manufacturers' products in the majority of cases for the marques for which it caters.
 Brake Pad Brands - Dog
Just checked out GSF Re: front pads for my Subaru and they came up with Bendix??
>>Just checked out GSF Re: front pads for my Subaru and they came up with Bendix??>>

You've got me there. GSF represents German, Swedish and French...:-)
 Brake Pad Brands - Dog
>>Just checked out GSF Re: front pads for my Subaru and they came up with Bendix??

GSF also list Akebono brake pads for my Sub which are a Jap brand apparently so I'd be happy to use either brand.
And I'm a fussy git!
 Brake Pad Brands - DP
Bendix make brake calipers for PSA group cars, among others. Used these pads in a Peugeot with good results.
 Brake Pad Brands - Dog
Yes, I have seen/heard of them before when I think about it, and not just Washing machines :)
So far the Eicher has provided performance not noticeably different to OE for my normal road use.
That's good and in line with our C3 experience... it's just the Alfa gets to load its brakes to excess on cross country stuff. Bit like Alpine pass stress.
Very nearly a year on and....

...the discs are in need of changing. Approximately 9000 miles travelled and certainly no extreme driving practices used. The pads are okay but my spanner monkey reports the discs are past their best - this has been confirmed by the slight wobbly on braking, I assume they're ever so slightly warped.

I won't be replacing them with Eicher parts.
Had the n/s front brake binding a bit on the way to London last night. The slides in the caliper get gummed up with brake dust and other gunge, and the brakes need servicing every six months or so to free the slides, replace any knackered return springs and reassemble with a bit of copperslip stuff on the slides. The wheel got very hot at one point, and the car wouldn't run back down any gentle slope as it usually does.

Coming into London though the thing seemed to free itself, and at the same time the engine which is overcooling reached running temperature and stayed there.

The disc doesn't seem to have been damaged. Since we have to go back to Sussex tonight I am hoping that by using the brakes as little as possible we will get away with it and won't need to call the AA. Then the guy in Sussex can deal with it. Probably he will recommend a new caliper. I used to do this stuff myself but can't consider it now.

Same thing happened a couple of years ago, much worse, had to have a new disc and caliper that time. Perhaps two new discs and new pads both sides.

The Cruiser's a nice comfortable lumbering old bus but something smaller and newer with cheaper parts would be less of a rough financial ride.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 16 Apr 15 at 16:42
 Brake Pad Brands - The Melting Snowman
That's why I like Fords, cheap parts even at the Main Dealer. Not that you will need many, no garage ever got rich out of fixing petrol Fords. I remember when I had the first service done on the Focus, I thought they had given me the wrong bill, it was half what I had been expecting based on experience of some other makes.
>> when I had the first service done on the Focus, I thought they had given me the wrong bill, it was half what I had been expecting based on experience of some other makes.

Small Fords are great, but so are small diesel Hyundais and other oriental tiddlers. These are motors that can more than keep up with the traffic, pedalled with cautious but gung-ho elan, while returning 60 mpg or better.

Some of these very small red cars are a bit silly looking even if they do go quite briskly. I wonder what they feel like inside at 70ish on Sussex A roads with their thoroughly foxed and variable surfaces? I need a long downhill stretch with good visibility to get past one of those doing 55 or even 65. I often don't even bother these days. More economical they tell me, or is it ecological? Something like that anyway.

The thing that must make those cars feel rough is their tiny wheels. Low unsprung weight granted, but rubbish damping and suspension geometry. Best on smooth Japanese roads, but tough enough for the backwoods if need be.

Poop-poop! Yee-hah!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 16 Apr 15 at 21:59
>> Poop-poop! Yee-hah!

The jalopy has been lumbering along impeccably. But it's overcooling again, grossly. It will need a new thermostat unless the old one can be jolted back into life, a temporary expedient at best.

Really makes a difference when everything is working more or less to design parameters. Economy, performance and the best available noise all at once.
>> Really makes a difference when everything is working more or less to design parameters. Economy, performance and the best available noise all at once.

I tried to add, but was stymied by the famous Pink Stripe of Death, that absolutely any jalopy however unglamorous is a different beast in perfect tune. There's a real difference between a 100mph Skoda Estelle and an 85mph one.

It's a great pleasure getting even the humblest car running more or less perfectly. Every example is different and a sensitive owner will accommodate that. Of course with these modern things it's just a question of keeping the air cleaner clean and changing the oil and filter when necessary, and the plugs once in a blue moon. Let it get warm before booting it.

I wish I hadn't got a K&N air cleaner. Instead of a throwaway cotton-wool pad it's a thing that has to be washed, dried and sprayed carefully with the special red stuff. No wonder we put it off in cold weather and let the element get thick with filth. Serves us right when our jalopies choke to a halt at embarrassing intersections in front of everyone and have to be pushed out of the way by chortling local youths.
And by the way, no brake problems on the way home earlier this evening. I didn't feel the wheel for temperature but the brake wasn't binding. It will be looked at and dealt with when the local man has a slot. No doubt they'll do all the alignment palaver too.

Was tempted in London to consult a local garage and get it to free the caliper by hitting it with a big hammer. But quailed at the thought of all the negotiations that would have ensued. Jolly glad I got away with it all the same.

We came home down the A24 to avoid the crap going on on the A29. Lots of empty dual carriageway. The jalopy hasn't done 80 for ages let alone 90. Hope it works tomorrow.
>> The jalopy hasn't done 80 for ages let alone 90. Hope it works tomorrow.

Works fine of course, but will have used a bit of oil, it does at those road speeds. But it's due for an oil and filter change anyway.

Bit of a pain checking the fluids where the car normally is here, nose-up on quite a steep slope.

From the Haynes manual and the naked eye I can see that the thermostat job will be a bit fiddly but no worse. Trouble is there's a tube above it that seems to be made of plastic. Always a risk of damaging mating surfaces or not getting them clean. Red gunge and hope doesn't cut the mustard unless you're very lucky. Anything involving water passages is liable to give trouble. Anything involving plastic fastened with steel bolts carries the risk of damage to the plastic component. Cleanliness, minimum force and new gaskets are next to godliness.

I trust the man to do a decent job without robbing me.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 18 Apr 15 at 21:54
 Brake Pad Brands - Dave
I just buy them from the dealer. Not usually a huge price difference, and it's not as if they need changing every 5 mins. They always fit, work exactly the same as the ones they're replacing, make the same amount of dust, and last the same amount of time.

I don't know who makes them, and if they make exactly the same thing under their own brand name that can can be bought a few quid cheaper from somewhere else. Life's too short.
 Brake Pad Brands - Shiny
My discs are £336/pr at the dealer - or Mintex £78/pr delivered from a motor factor. Similar story for pads. £116 vs. £55. £319 saving is quite significant for me.
>> I trust the man to do a decent job without robbing me.

But he said worriedly, and I can see that it is so, that the inlet manifold - a plastic assembly - will have to be moved at least, if not actually taken right out, for the thermostat job. He also said smilingly that it's just as well the thermostat is stuck open, not closed. Running too cool is cool, unlike overheating which isn't.

Reading between the lines, he's worrying that the jalopy is costing us more than it's worth, and this has occurred to us too. But we're in that bind of having a nice pleasant car that goes well and runs sweetly, has just had a lot of money spent on it and doesn't misbehave in any way. Getting another without having a large windfall - some hope! - looks even more expensive and difficult.

Just as well he didn't want to take the car in yesterday. One of his other punters has injured the steering/front suspension of the courtesy Ka. Doubtless it will be fixed quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing if it feels any different after being driven up a bank or whatever by that carphound of a fellow-customer.

What a pleasure to use a familiar five-speed gearbox after the Peugeot's awkward six-speeder.
 Brake Pad Brands - Runfer D'Hills
I think I heard that there was a well kept Ka available on Anglesey. It might be a challenging colour I gather and might whiff a bit of Spaniels but you'd think those deficits would be reflected in the price wouldn't you?
 Brake Pad Brands - Manatee
>> I think I heard that there was a well kept Ka available on Anglesey. It
>> might be a challenging colour I gather and might whiff a bit of Spaniels but
>> you'd think those deficits would be reflected in the price wouldn't you?

Base value £500. Deduction for dog smell, £300, for colour, another £300. If he delivers it and fills the tank, I'd call it quits.
 Brake Pad Brands - Mike Hannon
>>That's why I like Fords, cheap parts even at the Main Dealer. Not that you will need many, no garage ever got rich out of fixing petrol Fords<<

How about the camshaft experts?...

I bought a set of 'Mintex' pads from a respected Jaguar specialist last year for the front of the XJS - one third the price of other brands from the same source and up to now they seem excellent. Apparently they are the same fitting as a Renault Espace, which helps with the price.
 Brake Pad Brands - Old Navy
>> I bought a set of 'Mintex' pads from a respected Jaguar specialist last year for
>> the front of the XJS - one third the price of other brands from the
>> same source and up to now they seem excellent. Apparently they are the same fitting
>> as a Renault Espace, which helps with the price.
>>

Mintex is a TMD Friction brand, I have used Pagid brake pads from ECP without problems, another of TMDs brands.

www.tmdfriction.com

Scroll down for their aftermarket brands.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 17:35
 Brake Pad Brands - madf
Son's 2012 1.3 Yaris has today passed MOT with an advisory on brake pads. Kwikfit - where MOT was done for £30 - quoted c £120 for new front pads and fitting.OE parts from Toyota are £90. I've ordered Pagid from ECP £26 next day delivery for the tame mechanic (me) to fit...

Pagid I have used in the past and are excellent...
Last edited by: madf on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 17:53
 Brake Pad Brands - Zero
I have Pagid disks and pads on the lancer. Been good.
 Brake Pad Brands - Ateca chris
>>>>>I have Pagid disks and pads on the lancer. Been good. <<<<<

Also have the same on my mazda 6, wears and stops well.
Last edited by: mazda chris on Mon 20 Apr 15 at 22:11
I think I'll be giving Pagid a whirl then.
 Brake Pad Brands - madf
Just changed son's pads on 2012 Yaris.

The OE pads were marked Toyota on one half of the backing plate.. and Pagid on the other...

Ingenious design of pad retention/silencing.. With a great big spring to keep it all together - bit of a pig to fit on the first side. The other side was then easy.. No shims whatever: the inside pad had a triangular spring affair on the back with fitted into the hollow of the caliper cylinder,, thus stopping rattling..

Latest Forum Posts