Motoring Discussion > Insurance costs Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 9

Insurance costs - sooty123
Anyone else seen their premuims rise this year? Mine went up about 15% with no change in details at all, I tried every tip to get the cost down to no avail. Anyone know if this is industry wide and if so why?
 Insurance costs - J500ANT
Yep. Shop around, use www.quidco.com and get cashback so even if the policy isn't lower when the cashback arrives it soothes the pain.
 Insurance costs - sooty123
Tried all the cash back sites still didn't make much of a difference even with the cashback, and lots would change when you went to confirm the policy. They would ask a couple of extra questions and the price would go up, one asked three questions and the price went up £500.
 Insurance costs - L'escargot
It's inflation. Everything is going up ~ except savings interest rates.
 Insurance costs - -
Drivers that have a prang should mitigate their own losses, does everyone need a new 3 series BMW courtesy car or would the 107 freebee do them for a couple of weeks.

Add in ScamRus and miss whiplash (i am on the right forum?) claims and that average £1500 minor shunt soon becomes a £15K bill.

I know i've said it before but insurance companies need to tighten up on fraudulent claims and scam criminals, instead of paying out cos it's easier and cheaper take a few of them to the cleaners, win the cases and shove a legal bill of £100K up someone's shirt and things just might improve.

Insurance costs - movilogo
There should be a law that only personal injury (certified by medics) and cost of repairing one's car will be paid by insurance.

cost of courtesy car, out of pocket expense etc. should be arranged by individual, if required, via additional insurance.
 Insurance costs - Iffy
...Drivers that have a prang should mitigate their own losses...

Agreed.

Too many think thieving and defrauding an insurance company by a bloated claim is not only OK, but the thing to do.

Prosecute some of these drivers for theft and they would no doubt squeal like stuck pigs, but it might deter a few others.
 Insurance costs - VxFan
>> Anyone else seen their premuims rise this year?

Yes. Up from £415 to £453 (Direct Line). Checked online and got it down to £379, but when I phoned them they couldn't get it below £395!! Why not just quote me £395 in the first place instead of trying it on with a quote of £453?

Ended up going with Tesco for £320.
 Insurance costs - BiggerBadderDave
Mine's due next week

Up from 380 to 450 so I've been shopping around. Not so much choice for me though because I need permanent European cover. This is the first year mine has ever gone up that I can remember.
 Insurance costs - Shiny
I renewed my insurance on June 1st. My renewal premium with quoteline direct was nearly double last year's (I have been with them 3 years and it has always been excellent)

I went onto the comparison sites and found them to be similarly expensive, but got a good deal at HSBC because I bank with First Direct, it was just over half of what the comparison sites were saying. I now suspect that the comparison sites are a bait and switch scam, and now everyone uses them and thinks they are the key to cheap insurance, they have put the prices up to get the commission (via setting cookies etc...)
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 21:35
Latest Forum Posts