Motoring Discussion > Up-n-over garage doors... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 14

Up-n-over garage doors... - Fursty Ferret
Are foul, evil, contemptible, unpleasant, devious, dastardly, dangerous, miserable pieces of poo which are simultaneously both under and over-engineered in entirely the wrong way.

Previous owner of mine presumably never oiled it and so when I opened the door yesterday evening the pulley on one side jammed, while the momentum of the door carried the cable into the tightly coiled spring, which promptly trapped it in position.

There is no power to this garage and the only way to access the mechanism is with the door closed.

Facing the prospect of carrying the entire contents of the garage into the house overnight for security I managed to force the door closed again after dismantling half of it while the remaining half tried to dismember me at the same time.

It's taken all morning, all the skin on my knuckles, and a deep gash on my palm that I suspect might need stitches but IT'S FIXED. And even better, it works properly now. Neighbours are envious.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 18 Apr 14 at 15:10
 Up-n-over garage doors... - Haywain
"Neighbours are envious."

Congratulations, FF, on sorting it out. Whilst I'm envious of my neighbour's missus, I can take or leave his garage doors ;-)
 Up-n-over garage doors... - R.P.
We had the same problem here with ours...a highly specc'd house with a cheap and nasty up and over door - luckily there are two doors....we'll have to make a decision soon on fixing the other.
 Up-n-over garage doors... - sherlock47
Developers seem to have a habit of using the cheapest garage doors even when the spec of other items is to the highest standards.

For a basic door use Hormann - German engineering at its best?

A friends basic flat had Villeroy Boch sanitary ware throughout but some fittings were very ordinary. I can only assume that developers get some very special deals for large quantity orders of products that usually only get retailed on a 'one off' basis.
 Up-n-over garage doors... - Auristocrat
Hormann own Garadoor Ltd which is the largest UK garage door manufacturer.
We have a Hormann garage door and it is identical, apart from the handle, to the Garadoor doors that other garages in our road have.
So if you buy a Hormann garage door in the UK - it is probably made by Garadoor (British engineering at its best?)
 Up-n-over garage doors... - bathtub tom
But have you got that coin out of your steering column shroud yet?

;>)
 Up-n-over garage doors... - Robin O'Reliant
I'd better oil mine tomorrow, it's squeaking like crazy.
 Up-n-over garage doors... - Skip
>> I'd better oil mine tomorrow, it's squeaking like crazy.
>>

I was thinking the same !
And me....lest the back up fails...!
Yep, went over some speedbumps the other day and it dropped out the bottom of the shroud. Was really pleased, like finding a pound in the street AND the rattle disappeared.
Lubricated mine tonight - Motorcycle chain oil....non drip. Brilliant
>> Lubricated mine tonight - Motorcycle chain oil....non drip. Brilliant
>>
>>

Nah, silicone spray is the way forward!
 Up-n-over garage doors... - WillDeBeest
Where's BBD when we need him?
 Up-n-over garage doors... - sherlock47
Whilst Horman own Garadoor and the doors may look broadly similar, I have it on good authority that the 'up and over' products are made on 2 different production lines.
Horman doors made in Germany using Robots.
Garadoor doors made in the UK using a (french?) manual assembly line.

Horman doors have vertical panel sections, and welded joints at the door corners,
Garadoor doors have horizontal panel sections and mechanically crimped joints.

My local retailer will generally only sell Horman products unless a customer wishes to match exactly an existing Garadoor product

Draw your own conclusions.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 10 May 14 at 12:35
 Up-n-over garage doors... - Clk Sec
We had a Hormann up-and-over garage door fitted about 6 or 7 years ago. Seems to be well put together and has given no trouble so far.

Also came with a 10 year guarantee.
Latest Forum Posts