Motoring Discussion > Mazda Mazda 6 - Another Mazda Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 4

Mazda Mazda 6 - Another Mazda - Ateca chris
After 2 years of owning a (06) mazda 6 TS2 Gen 1 2ltr manual petrol, i now own a (08) mazda 6 TS2 Gen 2 petrol with 64k full mazda digital service record.
In 2 years of ownership of the first i did 45k faultless miles apart from a siezed rear caliper, with only regular servicing which i did myself and tyres. Passed 2 Mot's with no advisory's never squeeked or rattle and was PX two weeks ago with 98k on the clock.When giving it a proper wash and polish instead of a car wash once a week i found rust on both rear wheel arches on the edge to the bumper and in the front by the sills and was quoted over £800 to have them fixed due to metalic paint and lacquer and both quarter panels needing to be painted. And seeing we were going to change cars in the summer anyway decided to do it now before it gets worse.

With both being TS2'S you would think they had the same bells and whistles but they dont
The power steering on the gen 1 had a pump driven by a belt, the gen 2 has an electric set
up making it much lighter to steer and a tighter turning circle. The ride is much better on the gen 2 and less tyre noise which is suprising seeing it has 215/50/17 compared to 205/55/16 on the gen 1. Don't know if it's because it has 4 brand new Uniroyal rain sport 2 tyres fitted opposed to the toyo's on the gen 1.
Both has the same 2ltr vvt (147 bhp) petrol engine but the emissions are lower on the newer one making it more economical. I have brimmed it twice since iv had it and got 35mpg doing urban trips no motorway, used to get between 30 and 32mpg from the gen 1 and the road tax is £200 opposed to £260 a year.

Gone is the electric sunroof and Bose sound system which i had in the gen 1 but gained Electric folding mirrors/ Bluetooth which works well/ Auto dimming rear view mirror/ Duel climate control, Auto wipers and lights.

The lights and handbrake are the biggest gripes i have.
Handbrake is positioned right next to the passenger seat meaning im reaching over for it and if their is a bottle of juice in the center cup holder my hand catches it.The auto lights i cant switch off even when in auto or off position they are still on. Done a google search it seems a common problem on the 2008 model with mazda intending them to stay on as day time lights and cant be swithced off unless a new relay is purchsed at £123 which then reverts them to normal lights. Apart from those two niggles its a great car and i always look forwards to the next trip in it, when i work out how to use photo bucket i will upload some pics.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - Another Mazda - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds good Chris. But just to ask what might seem, but isn't intended to be a mean spirited question, why did you buy the same model of a car only two years younger than one which has apparently rusted prematurely? Or have Mazda improved in that respect between the release of the two models?

Not to rain on your parade you understand ! Just that I might have been a wee bit put off by what might be seen as early rusting.

Mazda Mazda 6 - Another Mazda - Ateca chris
Fair point, rust was a known issue on the first gen but mazda got their act together on the 2nd gen and rust don't seem to be a issue anymore.
Also the wife being Glaswegian feels its time she moved back home which is something we agreed on 15 yrs ago when we wed that we will move to Scotland one day. A couple of years ago we agreed 2015 is when we go. Finances are a little tight in respect of we still need to live and pay bills where we live in Plymouth at the moment but also need to save to move. So a couple of yrs upgrade of car is really all we wanted to spend at the moment.What with the rust and the engine starting to use oil a big bill was looming, the Px offer'd on ours was well above what we expected so a couple grand out of our savings made more sense than spending big on the old car. Some might disagree but we are all different.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - Another Mazda - Runfer D'Hills
That's good then if they've sorted the rust issues. They do seem nice cars.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - Another Mazda - Dieselboy
I very much like my 2009 '59' 2.2d estate. I know about potential DPF problems, but so far so good. I have seen some with headlights on during the day, your detail of the running light intention explains that. As far the handbrake, yes I agree with you. However, at least it isn't an electric parking brake!

Latest Forum Posts