Motoring Discussion > Rear mounted cycle carrier Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 37

Rear mounted cycle carrier - BobbyG
My cousin is looking to buy one, I only have experience of roof or towbar ones.
It must be a rear mounted and not model specific as she changes her cars every year or so, currently has a 2 models ago Golf.

Anyone bought one lately that would be suitable for a petite woman to put on and off rear hatch of the Golf? Probably will only be looking to put two bikes on it.

Any recommendations?
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - bathtub tom
Be very careful the rear lights and number plate aren't obstructed when it's got bikes on it.

I recall a trip down the M3 and it was obvious plod were targeting such cars.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Slidingpillar
Depends on what make of carrier and car, but it's close to a racing certainty something will be obscured.

Use a trailer board (without the red triangles, as these are a trailer designation) fix with bungee straps to the bikes and you should be legal once more.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 13:43
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - WillDeBeest
Still needs power, doesn't it, SP? That means at least a partial towbar installation.

Hatch-mount racks are simply wrong. First, let's forget the 'mustn't be model-specific' idea. For one thing, no-one makes a truly model-specific bike carrier, unless you count the built-in things some small cars offer as options. For another, if she can afford to change her car every year she can afford a couple of hundred to update her bike carrier. Towbar and roof mounts connect to parts of the car designed to take an external load; hatch-mounts rely on the cosmetic bodywork, which is why, I suspect, I don't think I've ever seen one in the Accessories pages of a car maker's brochure.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 14:16
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Dulwich Estate
I do my best not to linger behind any such loaded car. The driver's rear view is a tad obstructed and more to the point - every time the bikes wobble I think they might fall off.

There must be at least a few instances of then falling off.
Still needs power, doesn't it, SP? That means at least a partial towbar installation.

It does need power, but it often surprisingly simple, it's just finding the plug that some manufacturers fit for towbar sockets and plugging into it. Of course they don't make it easy to find out as they want to charge you and pretend there is a lot more work involved.

I'd start by googling it, should find it I hope.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Gromit
The most 'universal' bike rack you'll get is towbar mounted. Thule do a broad range. FiL got one recently that has a ratchet on to fix the carrier to the towbar (mine goes on with a spanner) and has a gas strut (I think) to make lowering the bikes to open the hatch easier.

Bear in mind hatch fitted carriers won't fit any saloon, 4x4 with a spare tyre on the back or hatch/estate with a spoiler on the rear door, but fitting a new towbar on the next car may cost as much as buying a new bike rack!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Roger.
I'd give up cycling!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Manatee
I usually have some roof bars for my cars as they always come in useful at some point.

I used to take bikes on holiday on roof mounted bike carriers. Not the easiest in terms of heaving them up there but that's mainly height - with a suitable step a short person could do it easily. They are or can be cheap, and universal.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - movilogo
I think all rear mounted carriers are sold for specific cars and as such there is no generic one.

A normal mountain bike should fit inside most medium hatchbacks. Of course that means no rear passengers.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Haywain
A tow-bar mounted rack will (AFAIK) fit on any tow-bar. I have an Atera - quite expensive, but easy to use; I believe that Thule do a cheaper one that's also pretty good. Tow-bar mounted racks also have a built-in lighting plate and locking devices.

The only downside is that you need a tow-bar, so you just have to figure that into the calculation or negotiation if you change your car.

You are reminded that you have the bikes on the back when you look to the rear when reversing; unfortunately, a friend forgot that he had bikes on his roof when he went under a low height-restrictor on holiday in France. He wrote-off 2 or 3 bikes and his Honda Civic.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - movilogo
That is very common especially when professional bus drivers also forget that they have another deck above ;-)
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Boxsterboy
This thread reminds me of one of the reasons I drive a Transporter. I can get 6 people and 6 bikes all inside!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Ted

Change the bike. I just fold the Evo 7 up and pop it on the back seat.
Fits all cars.........probly get it into SP's !
Fits all cars.........probly get it into SP's !

Er no. Have you seen how little space there is? You'd not even get two burger enthusiasts into it!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Bromptonaut
I agree with all the other advice about hatch mounts. A mid range urban MTB such as the Dawes Discovery comes in at 11.5kg. Two of those plus the rack is close to 30kg - a big ask on a composite tail hatch. And they're still unstable and likely obstruct lights or plate.

Tow bar mount would be OK (unless the car's hitch load were very restrictive) but a proper fitment will be £4-600 including electrics.

My advice would be to look very carefully before dismissing roof mounts. If only two bikes are involved the lift/load is easier, it's getting them into the middle takes the stretch. IF you get the technique right even a five footer like Miss B can do it.

First make sure rack is fully ready with clamps raised and open. Then lift bike by grasping the seat tube in one hand and fork in other and raise arms up to 45 degrees, use a step or the car's cill if necessary for extra height, lower wheels into the rail on rack. Keep hand on down tube to steady bike and engage/tighten clamp then secure wheels with strap provided.

That's based on using Halfords basics type racks, almost certainly easier with premium kit like Thule.
"I agree with all the other advice about hatch mounts. A mid range urban MTB such as the Dawes Discovery comes in at 11.5kg. Two of those plus the rack is close to 30kg - a big ask on a composite tail hatch. And they're still unstable and likely obstruct lights or plate."

From experience, I don't like hatch-mounts either. I had one that was unstable, somehow managing to rotate, and it allowed the bikes to knock together such that I had to use foam pads to separate the bikes. It also obscured the plates, and I didn't have an answer to that until I bought the tow-bar mounted carrier.

A friend had a hatch-mount type for her Corsa; I was horrified when I noticed that the force from the straps had pulled and distorted the metalwork along the top edge of the hatch to create two 'air-scoops'!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - jc2
Many manufacturers do not recommend using tailgate mounted bike carriers-certainly the driver's manual in my car says not to use one. I watched a very interesting video in Germany about roof mounted bike carriers-it was made by their equivalent of "Which"-they tested about ten and all but two broke during a very slight slalom-mostly from bolts tearing thro' fixing holes-could possibly be fixed with larger washers.
I have had Thule towbar carrier and now have roof bars.

The towbar carrier carried 4 bikes, on the towball with no other supporting brackets, struts etc. The thing kind of defied gravity in my opinion but never let me down. Crucially for a long journey, it didn't have too great an effect on fuel economy.

When I got the Altea I sold the towbar carrier (still fetch good money second hand) and bought Thule bars and 4 bike carriers for the roof. As brompt says, there is a knack to getting the bikes up and down from there but I also chose to carry a small 3 step fold away set of steps to make it easier. Balance is crucial when you are swinging the bike over. However the roof rack really hammered the fuel economy, losing at least 25% as a result.

I have still to check if the bars will fit my Hyundai - it has holes in the roof rails which look the same as the Alteas so maybe it would be a straight swap or no doubt there will be a slight difference.

When I had the Altea and was only carrying 1 or 2 bikes then it was much easier just to take the front wheel off and throw them in back (road bikes not Humph dirty trail bikes) however the ix35 boot is shallower and seating is less flexible so the roof rack might need to come out!

Anyway going back to my original request, the general consensus on here, and on cycling forums that I checked, was not to really trust the rear mounts. That makes it a lot easier for me to give as advice to my cousin rather than recommending one! Even the Halfords own one is shown attached to a Golf but when you check what vehicles it fits the Golf is excluded!
Bobby, If the Altea roofbars don't the Hyundai, don't forget to check whether you can just change the feet on the Thule mounts. My impression when I bought mine was that there were only two or three types or roof rail, and it was the mounting feet kits that changed between cars.

Mind, those bars struck me as quite expensive for what they were. £10 for the materials and the balance for the testing to see they do their job and indemnity in case they don't, I guess!
Just had a quick check on www.roofrackshop.co.uk and it would appear that it is the same feet - Thule 753.

Must pluck up the energy and time to try it out but I am probably not alone in saying that the rack is at the back of the garage, stored neatly against the wall. With everything else in front of it!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Alanovich
I'm thinking about getting gone of these this summer:

www.amazon.co.uk/Avenir-AVR802-Bike-Boot-Fitting/dp/B0020HRUK4

Need to transport 4 bikes (2 adult 2 children) to France for summer hols. Don't want to cough up for a towbar and don't like the idea of a 2.0 auto petrol estate's fuel consumption with roof mounted bikes.

Any thoughts, comments, sarcastic remarks from the panel?
I'm working on a sarcastic remark concerning your ability to read what's already appeared in this thread.
The picture / diagram in that Amazon ad - what is actually taking the weight of the 4 bikes? It doesn't appear to have a bar that rests on top of the bumper?
>> I'm working on a sarcastic remark concerning your ability to read what's already appeared in
>> this thread.
>>

Others seem to have managed to work out that I was asking opinions of this specific device, by way of expanding the general comments already made about the format in general.

I'm a bit woo about it too, but 90 quid against 600 for a towbar plus 100 for a towbar carrier plus a numberplate/light board thingy, well you can see the temptation.....

The accommodation we're staying at in France hires bikes for €55 each for a fortnight, not cheap for 4.

It's this or a roof job (my Mazda 6 does have roof bars already).

The drive is usually 8 hours from Calais at 130kph (on the autoroute section, the last few hours is on D roads) including stops. We're planning on doing it across two days this time though, overnight stop halfway with some friends, so sticking to 100kph would be tolerable. Might look deeper at the roof solution.

Thanks to the others for the helpful comments.
Check how much weight it'll carry - kids bikes are surprisingly heavy - and what speed its stable to. IIRC Thule recommended 70mph max for the Thule HangOn 9708 I bought.

Its a little unnerving to see the towbar mounted carrier appear to bounce slightly in the back window as you're driving along when you use it frist, but I'm sure its ok as I have it fitted as shown in the instructions and online videos. Do remember to strap up the front wheels of the bikes so they can't move in the car's slipstream though!
From the Amazon page:
total combined bike weights should not exceed 45kg

Good luck with that! An adult bike might typically be 13kg; cheap steel children's bikes can actually weigh more. And you want to transfer this load - say 50kg to be conservative - to the non-structural tailgate, the bendy plastic bumper cover and the glass rear window? You're a safety-minded chap, like me. This is a cheapskate bodge and is unworthy of you.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Bromptonaut
Max load for bikes on that rack is 45kg. Four of my benchmark Dawes Discovery will be over that, albeit by only a kilo or so. Don't assume kid's bikes are lighter, as I've related before Miss B's Emmelle, bought when she was eight or so, weighed more than my adult MTB or a Brompton.

Four bikes plus the rack and you're talking 50 kilos. What's the probability of it going some damage, even if only paint/superficial? Does your estate's tailgate have the right profile for those rubber feet to rest securely?

Bikes are going to be vulnerable to theft when stopped and getting into boot is going to be a PITA even in an estate.

What might les flics think if it falls off on the Autoroute? What might les flics think even if it does not?

EDIT - Others make similar points.

Wouldn't pass my test or those reasons and I'd be looking at towbar or roof. Effect of latter on mileage will be reduced by cruising at 100/110k rather than 130k. You can recover a bit of time by enforcing a Ryanair paced turnaround at services!!

Do you want/need bikes for whole holiday? If not it might be worth looking at hiring.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 28 Apr 14 at 15:46
>>Do you want/need bikes for whole holiday? If not it might be worth looking at hiring.

IIRC, having the 4 bikes on the roof and suffering 25% reduction in fuel economy was still cheaper than hiring the bikes at Center parcs when we went!
"Any thoughts, comments"

Rearrange - 'bargepole touch wouldn't I a that with!'
We're near-neighbours, Vić, so depending on when you're going I'd far rather see you take our four-bike Atera than that clothes airer. You'd still need a towbar, of course, and a third number plate, but ask a mod for my email and let's see if we can arrange something.
That's a very handy offer, thanks WdB. I'll take you up if I do find money down the sofa for a towbar.

Cheers.

What a pain that both my erstwhile Laguna and Galaxy had towbars and I never used them.

Sigh.
Think this might be my answer:

tinyurl.com/n6y9j35

Better than the "clothes airer"?
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 28 Apr 14 at 16:26
Actually, all this talk of carrying bikes on cars has reminded me, I've got 3 sets of Sanremo Elite roof bar clips in the garage. I've put them on 'Classified'.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Auntie Lockbrakes
Don't Halfords sell a universal rear-mounted bike carrier? They certainly used to, about 15 years ago. I stuck one on the back of my Rover 200 and schlepped a bike from Denmark to the UK with no issues at all (except that you can't open the hatch on the ferry and extract your overnight bag of course...).

Mind you, about a year later I put the same bike on the same rack on a different Rover 200 and almost lost the bike on the M25... It came off the rack and was suspended upside down, not quite dragging on the tarmac. Never used the carrier again..!
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Runfer D'Hills
Roof mounts or towbar mounted only. Do not use a strap/clip on rear mount.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Fenlander
While cruising up the A1(M) last week mildly over the limit I was passed by a newish Mondeo estate with two oscillating mountain bikes upright on roof carriers. Out of interest I briefly pulled up to match his speed... 95! Obviously happy with the fixings.
 Rear mounted cycle carrier - Manatee
>> While cruising up the A1(M) last week mildly over the limit I was passed by
>> a newish Mondeo estate with two oscillating mountain bikes upright on roof carriers. Out of
>> interest I briefly pulled up to match his speed... 95! Obviously happy with the fixings.

Not directly behind him I imagine?
Latest Forum Posts