Motoring Discussion > Petrol & Diesel Discounts - Vol 2 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 42

Petrol & Diesel Discounts - Vol 2 - VxFan

Post any fuel saving offers you know about here

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 19:06
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Pat
Shopping at Tesco weekly I have managed to get 14p per litre of fuel for May.

I used 8p a litre off in April.

This promotion is running until September and in each month every £50 spent and recorded with a Clubcard, accrues 2p off a litre for the following month.

www.tesco.com/fuelsave/

No extra spend needed and a saving worth having.

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Duncan
>> Shopping at Tesco weekly I have managed to get 14p per litre of fuel for
>> May.

How much more would you have saved if you had shopped at Aldi and eaten at Wetherspoons?

Just asking.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 19:06
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Crankcase
Crickey. Most I've got out of that promotion is 4p. You must spend a fortune in there to get 14 surely? I reckon we spend about £220 a month, perhaps a bit less, on food and stuff in Tesco.

My average weekly shop is £70 but can vary as I do stock up on stuff we use all the time if it is on offer! Are you using your clubcard for every small transaction?

I'm still using Andrex toilet rolls from the fuel promotion mentioned on here in late 2012, I think.:)

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Clk Sec
10p off a ltr at Sainsbury's yesterday, for a spend of around £70.
I would have had to have visited Aldi as they don't deliver, using fuel at a 24 mile round trip, then visited another supermarket to get all the other stuff Aldi don't stock.

I pay £60 per year for as many deliveries as I want on any day I want for a minimum spend of £25. One delivery per week works out at £1.15 per week so far cheaper than using fuel for me. I can sit in the comfort of my own chair at 3am and day and do my grocery shop and it arrives at my door delivered by a cheery and helpful driver.

I don't have to put up with traffic jams in the aisles, bored hubbies leaning on the trolley to push it or ill behaved kids and parents. What's not to like?

Wetherspoons ? Now I'm not much of a cook and love eating out, but if Wetherspoons is the option I'll just settle for a home cooked, hit and miss approach I've used for the past 40 years:)

Love or hate Tesco, for a delivery saver customer who shops there weekly 14p a litre off fuel is a bargain worth having.

Pat
Crankcase, £220 per month would give you 8p off per litre. It can be checked in your Clubcard account online.

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - smokie
Whew I've got 16p to use within to days and 20p in May.

Daft question maybe, is this just off one tankful or every time I fill @ Tesco? Can't see that on the page...
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 08:27
 Tesco Petrol Discount - VxFan
>> Daft question maybe, is this just off one tankful or every time I fill @
>> Tesco? Can't see that on the page...

Only off one transaction. Best way to take full advantage of it is to run the tank as low as possible before filling back up.

My May fuel savings is currently at 14p off a litre.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Crankcase
>> Crankcase, £220 per month would give you 8p off per litre. It can be checked
>> in your Clubcard account online.

Well I guess I'm not spending as much as £220 a month then. It did reach the heady heights of 5p once, but of course it's only redeemable in factors of 2p, so it gave me 4p off at the pump and the penny carried over, to give me 2p on another occasion. I guess to be fair that was 6p off in one month.

I got an email yesterday saying there was 2p left and it was going to expire at the end of April. I used it yesterday, but noticed the cost of the fuel had gone up exactly 2p since the last fill up, so it's kind of a break even.

As a full fill for me is about 40 litres at tops, about one and a half times a month, I'm not going to save much cash though. I still do 15k miles a year though, somehow.

Yes, I do use the club card wherever possible.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - sooty123
>> >> Crankcase, £220 per month would give you 8p off per litre. It can be
>> checked
>> >> in your Clubcard account online.
>>
>> Well I guess I'm not spending as much as £220 a month then.

Same for us as well, there's only 2 of us so we only spend about half that a month on food shopping.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 09:28
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Skip
>> I pay £60 per year for as many deliveries as I want on any day
>> I want for a minimum spend of £25. One delivery per week works out at
>> £1.15 per week so far cheaper than using fuel for me. I can sit in
>> the comfort of my own chair at 3am and day and do my grocery shop
>> and it arrives at my door delivered by a cheery and helpful driver.
>>
>> I don't have to put up with traffic jams in the aisles, bored hubbies leaning
>> on the trolley to push it or ill behaved kids and parents. What's not to
>> like?

>> Pat
>>

I suppose that it also stops you being tempted by the special offer chocolate, crisps etc piled up in full view as you enter the store !

Do you not have a problem with them sending you fresh food which only has a day or two left before it goes out of date as that is what stopped me doing it online ?

Andy
When I first started using the delivery service I did have that problem Skip but I made of ringing and complaining weekly and getting the cost refunded ( and popping the goods in the freezer!) and after a few weeks someone must have flagged my account as being a pain in the a*se:) It rarely happens now and on the odd occasion, I get an immediate refund.

I think it's just one transaction Smokie, we fill the V70 up once a month and with an empty tank it's around 80 litres per month which in May will save us £11.20.

Now let's hope the special offers are good for May so we can qualify for a bit more to fill up in June to tow the caravan down to Cornwall.....and the Fiesta up to come home too!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sun 27 Apr 14 at 08:41
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Duncan
>> Wetherspoons ? Now I'm not much of a cook and love eating out, but if
>> Wetherspoons is the option I'll just settle for a home cooked, hit and miss approach
>> I've used for the past 40 years:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Pat, next time you are coming to leafy Surrey, send me an email, we can meet up (with Ian) and go to Ws and if you don't agree that it is good value, well prepared food, I will pay the bill. If we agree that it's good value, you pay. Deal?
Deal? I thought that was in Kent Duncan:)

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - mikeyb
10p off at Sainsburys this weekend with a £60 spend, or 11p off with a £10 top up on sainsburys mobile.

Finding that Sainsburys have got more expensive, so only buy the bargains, hit the £60 and go when the Viano is empty. Managed to get 70 litres in yesterday.

Pat, is the V70 really an 80 litre tank? Not managed much above 70 in the Viano with the light on

Also worth noting that Waitrose don't charge for home delivery as long as you spend £50, and to be honest I dont think they are any more expensive that tesco (not that tesco is cheap)
Yes Mikey, it actually hold 90 litres and seems to take forever to fill up but after having a CRV it's a vast improvement!

Pat
Well..........

It would appear I'm married to an eejit, in his own words!

The V70 has a 70 litre tank not a 90 litre as he told me last week!

Now you've caused a domestic Mikey;)

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - mikeyb

>> Now you've caused a domestic Mikey;)
>>
>> Pat
>>

.........sorry ;-)
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Roger.
It's a good Deal Walmer in Sandwich, where I went to school!
 Tesco Petrol Discount - BobbyG
Pat, do you tip your Tesco driver??
Certainly not BobbyG! I just treat him like a human being and how I liked to be treated when I delivered somewhere;)

WdeB, I got the refund too and when I looked at the new rates it is possible to pay £60 upfront for 12 months deliveries at any time when I renew in October. Previously I could only pay for 6 months at a time.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 28 Apr 14 at 05:18
>>Certainly not BobbyG

I was curious as when I worked in Sainsburys it was a disciplinary offence for the delivery drivers to accept tips.
I think it is the same for Tesco driver's too. I always send them a Christmas card thanking them for their excellent service though, unlike the Asda driver's I used to have.

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - WillDeBeest
I pay £60 per year...

That's for six months, Pat. Or it was; the price has just come down from £10 a month to £6, which will encourage the riff-raff and increase the pressure on the Christmas slots we've been getting first crack at.
}:---(
Still, they gave me a credit for the months we'd already renewed for at the higher rate, so it's not all bad.

I've done two fills now, 66 and 65 litres, at the full 20p off. More pleasing than it really deserves to be.
Just checked and here it is WdeB

>>£60
12 months for the price of 10<<

It's under annual anytime plans.

Pat
 Tesco Petrol Discount - rtj70
Our local Tesco Extra has a big sign outside saying deliveries now only £1. Not sure how long they will stay at that price.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - WillDeBeest
£60, 12 months for the price of 10...

So it is - thanks Pat. The My Plan page just shows me what we already have and won't let me change to the annual plan till our renewal comes round in August, but we'll certainly be going for that.

Looks like Tesco has decided that losing some money on deliveries (and a £1 charge can't possibly cover the costs) is a price worth paying for gaining more committed, regular customers and (the hope) arresting the decline in market share.
Having worked in the supermarket business I still can't see the benefit to the supermarkets of home delivery. When it was new and only one or two offered it then it maybe meant you got customers that you didn't but now they all offer it. In fact Morrisons have been the last to join it and I believe that is probably because they feel obliged to rather than think it is a money maker.

Supermarkets traditionally attract customers into the shops and then batter them with point of sale / displays / tannoy calls etc etc to make them spend. Someone sitting at home picking from the net is probably missing all this unless the web page is fully interactive with subliminal messages???

The shops I Saw it working in were existing shops where the staff shoppers walked up and down the aisles doing the shopping. So they had the same issues as normal customers with availability etc. Add in to that the cost of vans, fuel, drivers wages, training etc etc and I just don't see where the profit comes from.

I wonder if all the supermarkets had a chance of collectively pulling out the home delivery market en masse whether they would do it....
 Tesco Petrol Discount - rtj70
Sometimes when in our local Tesco Extra, there seem to be more staff walking around doing online shopping than there are customers. I don't see how they make money out of it either with the cost of staff, vans, fuel, drivers etc.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - VxFan
>> Shopping at Tesco weekly I have managed to get 14p per litre of fuel for
>> May.
>> This promotion is running until September
>>
>> www.tesco.com/fuelsave/

Now running until 31st May 2015, and any credits earned in May must be used by the end of June.

www.tesco.com/fuelsave/tac.asp

This offer is already on it's 2nd extension. The first, IIRC was supposed to have finished on the 28th Feb 2015.

I'd have thought seeing as fuel prices have taken a tumble recently, that Tesco would have also wanted to end this promotion ASAP.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 2 Mar 15 at 13:59
 Tesco Petrol Discount - No FM2R
Tumbling fuel prices per se are unlikely to affect the direct economics of the offer.

Though it is conceivable that lower fuel prices will reduce the importance of seeking cheaper petrol in the minds of the customers, which then might do so.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Fullchat
See prices are creeping up again. Maybe just local cartels playing each other off.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Zero
>> See prices are creeping up again. Maybe just local cartels playing each other off.

Price of crude has risen by 5$ a barrel since the low point.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Runfer D'Hills
Damn ! Better cancel the Veyron then...
Humph, has your neighbour appeared home yet with the Bentley SUV yet??
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Runfer D'Hills
Not so far Bobby, I'll ask him though...
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Bromptonaut
>> Price of crude has risen by 5$ a barrel since the low point.

Reading that my thought was 'only $5'?

Other point is that price at pumps (petrol or diesel) is determined by 'spot' market for of refined product. Crude price is a factor but so are other supply/demand issues.
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Zero
>> >> Price of crude has risen by 5$ a barrel since the low point.
>>
>> Reading that my thought was 'only $5'?

When its was only 43 dollars a barrel thats over 10%

If you take tax out of the equation an 10% rise in the refined petrol would be 5 pence.

>> Crude price is a factor but so are other supply/demand issues.
NO! really? At the end of the day a price increase in crude is an excuse to raise prices and margins,
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 2 Mar 15 at 21:07
 Tesco Petrol Discount - Boxsterboy
For the first time in a long time I filled up with supermarket diesel in France on the way down to Switzerland a week ago. The autoroutes wanted E1.33/l, a self service supermarket pump wanted E1.19/l, so quite a saving for 80l.

The engine was noticeably less powerful (or was I just imagining it?) going up the hills. I'll stick to 'proper' fuel in future.
 French diesel - WillDeBeest
or was I just imagining it?

Probably. The hills are steeper in France than we're used to, and I expect you were heavily laden.
I've bought everything from Intermarché filth to overpriced Total Excellium for three different diesel cars; never noticed a performance difference with any of them.
 French diesel - Bromptonaut
Wot Wde B says. French motorways have steeper gradients then ours - the A75 south of Clermont is a particular example.
Latest Forum Posts