Motoring Discussion > 20mph limits. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 20

20mph limits. - No FM2R
Well, doesn't this make me *really* want to support Confused.com

NOT.

www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/80-per-cent-of-public-back-20mph-speed-limits
 20mph limits. - Armel Coussine
Would you expect anything sensible about road use to come from a whining prattish campaigning organisation called 'Brake'?

20mph limits. - No FM2R
No.

It added to my opinion of Confused.com, not to my opinion [spit] about Brake.
 20mph limits. - Runfer D'Hills
I'd support 20 mph limits in place of speed humps where the wretched things have been deemed necessary. Provided of course we could have a commensurate number of 80 mph limits where that too seemed as sensible.
 20mph limits. - Cockle
>> I'd support 20 mph limits in place of speed humps where the wretched things have
>> been deemed necessary. Provided of course we could have a commensurate number of 80 mph
>> limits where that too seemed as sensible.
>>

IIRC, under the guidelines for 20 mph speed limit zones they now have to be accompanied by speed humps or other 'traffic calming' measures so as to make them self enforcing as the police say they have not the manpower or the inclination to do so. Therefore the chances of you seeing any without humps are pretty slim.
Having said that we have one in the town that has no humps, mind you, I believe three local councillors or ex-councillors live in that zone.......... I'm sure that has no connection, of course. ;-)
 20mph limits. - Bromptonaut
I think you'll find quite a few people who want 20mph limit where they live but not where you or I live.

Local plod publish the concerns raised at their district forums. Round here it's misbehaving yoof and speeding. Round the part of Northampton near the station it's street prostitution and speeding.
 20mph limits. - WillDeBeest
...street prostitution and speeding.

Doesn't give them time to bend over and tap on the glass - as I, erm, heard on Radio 4 that they do.
 20mph limits. - Stuu
>>Round the part of Northampton near the station it's street prostitution and speeding.<<

I used to live in Semilong, I think the prostitution was never as bad as myth made out, they turned every street into a cul-de-sac and the 'activity' moved into the next available through road, who wouldnt have predicted that?
 20mph limits. - BiggerBadderDave
"I used to live in Semilong, I think the prostitution was never as bad"

I used to live in Hardlong where the prostitutes very good.
 20mph limits. - Mapmaker
Traffic doing 40mph in my residential area annoys. Putting a 20 limit makes no difference...
 20mph limits. - Alastairw
I would happily take a 20mph limit on my street in place of the speedbumps. The only person who wanted the bumps in the first place was our 'toryboy' councillor who wanted to be seen doing something.

The result, two years later? No change in vehicle speeds, but now the surface near all the bumps is breaking up and when trucks thump down off them my whole flat shakes.
 20mph limits. - Meldrew
80% of the people polled said they supported a 20 mph limit = that means about 0.000072 of the population
 20mph limits. - Slidingpillar
I know a road with a 30 limit and speed bumps. You can go any speed you like with a big thing as it'll straddle the bumps. And my vintage three wheeler is forced down to about 5 mph.

Totally not safe and I never go that way now. It's not a rat run either, but the totally obvious way to get somewhere.

My town centre now has 20mph limits, but that's all a paper exercise anyway, other than two o'clock in morning, you'd be lucky to go that fast anyway.
 20mph limits. - Armel Coussine
>> other than two o'clock in morning, you'd be lucky to go that fast anyway.

Well exactly. Speed limits are meaningless and I always ignore them. But the speed one drives is governed by the circumstances unless one is some sort of maniac or yobbo soon to be taken off the road or to crash and burn.

Speed bumps are criminal damage to the carriageway and I would like to see those responsible savagely punished for allowing them. Fat stupid slags.
 20mph limits. - Shiny
EU Diktat is 30kph in residential areas.
They also give grants to charities to lobby them to do what they wanted to do all along.

30kmh.eu

road.cc/content/news/37947-meps-push-30kph-18641mph-limit-residential-roads-throughout-europe

road.cc/content/news/44985-european-parliament-recommends-introduction-30kph-20mph-zones-across-europe

All this touchy-feely local council 'in your community' and 'local support' nonsense is a whitewash.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Tue 29 Apr 14 at 20:50
 20mph limits. - WillDeBeest
goo.gl/maps/HfsP8

I used to hate driving this way too, and not just because it involved passing a Vauxhall dealership. Like SP's example, it's the natural route from what was my part of town to places I legitimately needed to visit, and it has a 30mph limit, yet - as I hope the clunky new Google Maps will let you see if you Streetview the link - it has monster bumps that can't be taken at more than about 18mph. I imagine an influential councillor lives there.

Those links don't look like the most authoritative of sources, Shiny. Got anything from somewhere the rest of us might recognize? The first one is from some Brakesque campaign group - nothing official at all.
As soon as the European Commission will have accepted our ECI, you will find the signature forms for download here: For each country, in its language(s), for the collection of signatures on paper.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 29 Apr 14 at 20:54
 20mph limits. - Bromptonaut

>> Those links don't look like the most authoritative of sources, Shiny. Got anything from somewhere
>> the rest of us might recognize?

They're both from a road cycling forum and dated 2011
 20mph limits. - Stuartli
My town has had ever increasing numbers of 20mph zones introduced in the last few years - some of them on major bus route roads - but the vast majority have no speed bumps.

However, there was little or no reason to bring them in as generally the largely Victorian residential streets are narrow and parked cars naturally slow up traffic.

However, the general trend by drivers is to ignore such a limit, which is largely regarded as unnecessary, when appropriate. Certainly the police seem to think on the same lines.
 20mph limits. - Slidingpillar
And the other problem is, if you bring in 20mph limits that no-one respects, the knock on effect is less respect for all the other limits, some of which might be reasonable ones.
 20mph limits. - Gromit
That 'survey' is a fine example of asking a loaded question to get the answer you want:

""Do you think 20mph should be the norm AROUND SCHOOLS, on residential streets, and in village, town and city centres?"

Now, ask that question in a face-to-face survey on the street. How many people will say "no way, I want to do 40 past my local school" in earshot of others.

In fact, no matter what the question, how many will say "no" to anything when they're trying to fob off the survey monkey who's just broadsided them?

Besides, taking that question at face value, 0% said there should be a reduced speed limit! They weren't asked what the limit should, they were asked what "normal" speeds (whatever they are!) should be. Of course we should "normally" drive slower around schools, houses etc. - when there are "normal" hazards around that merit it, as AC has rightly said.
 20mph limits. - Shiny
>>
>> >> Those links don't look like the most authoritative of sources, Shiny. Got anything from
>> somewhere
>> >> the rest of us might recognize?

Sorry, I am in Ramsar, Iran by the Caspian Sea beside a hilly tea garden and the internet is slow <128kb/s - but for example Sustrans are funded by the EU and then lobby them!
ec.europa.eu/health/archive/ph_overview/documents/refl/ev20041015_co_056_en.pdf
How is that democratic? It's a closed loop.
Last edited by: Shiny Tailpipes on Thu 1 May 14 at 07:33
Latest Forum Posts