Motoring Discussion > How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 7

How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - bathtub tom
Heard a story today of an auto that runaway when its turbo bearings failed. I presume engine oil was fed past the turbo seals into the inlet manifold. The driver said another motorist got in and stopped the engine.

How would you do that on an automatic? I can see it could be possible in a manual by putting it in gear, dropping the clutch and standing on the brakes (as long as the clutch 'bit'), but an auto?
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - Manatee
Although there is no throttle plate in a diesel, ISTR some have a shut off flap. Maybe he just turned it off?

Other than than that, which I might have misremembered, I don't see what options you have other than to stall it - maybe tricky in an auto from neutral without breaking something, or cutting off the air supply in some other way, which you can't do from inside the car - and I don't think I'd be sticking my head under the bonnet.
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - PeterS
Hope it had stop/start?

Tongue in a cheek; I know that wouldn't really work. But it's a pretty rare occurrence surely? I'd imagine that for the age of car it's likely to happen on the repair cost, even if you did stall it, would probably write the car off from an economic perspective. So just let up blow up :-)
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - Boxsterboy
This used to happen on a Mk 1 Golf diesel I had many moons ago. Fortunately it was manual and easy to stop!
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - Ted

I've dealt with something similar on the Grand Vitara. It was overheating a bit on a holiday with the caravan in 2012. I knew we had a long steep hill on the way back so I cobbled up a feed to the fans which kept them on with the ignition. We made the hill OK and thirty miles on stopped at services for a coffee.

The engine wouldn't turn off. I think the fan relay had brought the power on as normal and was back-feeding the ' ignition ' through my cable. It was only ticking over so I got an old tea towel out of the van, wet it and stuffed it in the air intake. Stopped it dead !

I carry a child's plastic ball of the correct size under the bonnet now...should block off the round air intake ok once I've got the filter out. Never needed it yet , though.
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - Shiny
CO2 fire extinguisher. It shouldn't cause any damage (residue) as it's just gas.
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - commerdriver
>> But it's a pretty rare occurrence surely?

Rare but not unknown, I had it happen in a diesel vectra day after a service, first time on a motorway since the service. Luckily it was a manual so having reached the hard shoulder I stalled it.
Got it relayed back to the dealer who denied any responsibility for anything, needless to say. but sorted and problem identified after getting, company fleet guy, leasing company and Vauxhall involved.
Problem was monkey mechanic having overfilled oil at service.
Dealer went under within a couple of years
 How do you stop a runaway diesel engine? - Slidingpillar
I know somebody it has happened to. Luckily it was a manual, so a bit of wear and tear on the clutch and he stalled it.

Recovery folk and other motorists must have loved him, he was negotiating the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead and towing a horsebox!
Latest Forum Posts