Motoring Discussion > BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 25

BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Fenlander
Well after 8wks searching there's been something wrong with every Alfa estate I've considered... makes me realise how folks are killing them by doing bodge (or no) repairs rather than properly sorting issues. I guess it's what you might expect in the older end of the market but frustrating as I really wanted to find one worth running for a couple of years.

My current 156 came from the perfect private seller who'd never skimped on significant maintenance leaving me just servicing and routine consumables to do over the time of my ownership. Realise now I got lucky.

So as per a thread recently I considered other cars including E39 series 525D BMWs. We decided the 5 series was large enough over the 156 to consider saloons too which increased the choice... teen daughter said if I bought a saloon I was only a set of blacked windows and chromed alloys away from a low rent drug dealer... fair enough because pretty well every saloon I phoned about seemed to already be in the hands of such folk.

Last night though I put a deposit on a mint 2002 525D estate with leather and that nice burr walnut trim. Only 2 owners and seller a guy who'd had it 5yrs. Mileage well under average for the model and full history. I collect tomorrow... from 200mls away. Have I seen it... no just online images. Mad... we'll see.

Quite looking forward to a no indicators and flashing headlamps thrusting return down the A1! That will be a long enough shakedown to decide keep or move on... keep I hope as it will suit all the Uni running about we have to do over the next couple of years.

Of course next week it'll get an assessment service then I'll really know what's what. Seller declared it's about ready for 4 tyres. Factored that into price so I can choose what I want.. all weathers possibly if I ever want to get up the slope out of our cul-de-sac next winter!!
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - WillDeBeest
Well done, FL. Hope it works out well. 2002 is near the end of the pre-Bangle era, isn't it? Handsome car, in that case, although I don't think you've told us what colour it is.

Might give us something to talk about, too. It was like the Vauxhall Motors Appreciation Society last night - no one here at all.
>>>2002 is near the end of the pre-Bangle era, isn't it?

Sorry bit dense... you'll have to explain.

But yes it looks nice from the front and front 3/4 view but I'm not so keen on the estate rear end however we needed the loadspace really so a worthwhile tradeoff.

It's got a nice light leather interior and with the woody bits has something of a look of the old Rovers and Jags I travelled in as a kid.

As I said above the long shakedown run home will be the decider.
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Alanovich
Well, surely all you have to do is not expect it to break down, and it never will. Right?

;-)

I'd love to buy your Alfa off you, if I thought I could get it past The Gatekeeper.
>>>Well, surely all you have to do is not expect it to break down, and it never will. Right?

Yep that theory will be applied. Actually I do worry a little until I've been through a new to me car for a wheels off all filters service. I'll MOT it early too in the next couple of weeks then I should know how it's looking longer term.

Thanks for the Bangle info WdB. To a large extent I've missed out on BMWs since a mid 60s 1600 coupe we owned 36yrs ago.
>>>I'd love to buy your Alfa off you, if I thought I could get it past The Gatekeeper.

It has been the most fun per pound you could ever imagine but I could never advise anyone I knew to buy it just in case.... and remember it's a ten yard car (thanks DP) so isn't immediately attractive to women.
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Alanovich
If I were in a position to buy it, I'd be grown up enough to know it's buyer beware. I wouldn't expect anyone to advise me either way. Are you going to advertise it on here? You never know, someone might be tempted.
>>> Are you going to advertise it on here? You never know, someone might be tempted.

Well I'll probably link to where it will be sold. Couple of steps to go through first... BMW has to prove itself to be OK for a couple of weeks and then we have a number to transfer off the Alfa so that'll add in another couple of weeks to get the V5 back.
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - ToMoCo
>> Well, surely all you have to do is not expect it to break down, and
>> it never will. Right?
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> I'd love to buy your Alfa off you, if I thought I could get it
>> past The Gatekeeper.
>>

Don't you mean if you thought you could get it past the gate?

Negative thinking and all that, you wouldn't get it off his drive! ;-)
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - WillDeBeest
Chris Bangle became BMW's chief designer about that time, and was responsible for the styling of the Z4 and the 2004 (?) 5. Safe to say his ideas weren't universally popular, although I think his 5 works better than most and has dated surprisingly well.
>>>I think his 5 works better than most and has dated surprisingly well.

Yes we looked at a couple of E60 estates and I liked them but to keep in the budget of our current car running philosophy they needed to have well over 200,000mls and that seemed a step too far.
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - ToMoCo
Very nice car, I like them, but know what you mean about the rear end on the estate.

The Bangle design later cars - hated them at first, but they are definitely 'growers'
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Paul Robinson
Good luck with the new car David, is it an automatic?
Thanks Paul... just breakfasting prior to heading north to collect. No it's a manual. I've never been that keen on autos and also my driving style/route dynamics seem to lose a lot on fuel consumption with autos.

And my experience is if you buy a manual and the gearbox/DMF is OK they never seem to deteriorate in my use... whereas a 10+yr old 525 auto is capable of being fine one day then losing drive with error codes the next costing a £1500 transmission replacement.

Funnily enough I nearly made a terrible mistake earlier in the week putting down a deposit blind on a nice looking met green one at a dealer not noticing it was an auto because when the interior is photographed from the passenger side as this was the auto shift lever/gaiter looks so much like a manual.

Now my only issue is what does one wear to drive a BMW... hesitating over the usual Sat am Rolling Stones t-shirt... guess in an old one the sharp business suit can be dropped??

Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 3 May 14 at 07:53
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Paul Robinson
I thought you weren't keen on auto's, so good that you've found a manual, they must be quite rare. Yes, I think you can assume that once a BM is over 3 years old a suit is not necessary. A retired pilot who lives up the road from me has a 52 reg 525 estate and he dresses like a tractor driver.
>>>. A retired pilot who lives up the road from me has a 52 reg 525 estate and he dresses like a tractor driver.

Just what folks will be saying in our cul-de-sac community! And I do have several John Deere caps... from our previous life when I had a John Deere. Thanks for the style pointer... hope Runfer doesn't notice though.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 3 May 14 at 08:21
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Pat
Surely plus fours and a deerstalker would be more appropriate?

Pat
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - Runfer D'Hills
Never trust anyone who drives in a hat. The T-shirt is perfect by the way, provided your stomach is not your primary feature ! Perhaps some Converse All Stars, if the weather permits, and a good pair of jeans would be more than apt.

I think you will enjoy this car. I returned to a wafty RWD a couple of years ago after several decades of absence. No immediate intentions of going back. Proper car that you have bought.
>>>Surely plus fours and a deerstalker would be more appropriate?

For a BMW Pat? Not sure... I think they have always been more thrusting exec motors.... well they have in my mind but I've done the prospective BMW owner therapy course so think I can cope.
>>>Never trust anyone who drives in a hat.

Well they also say never trust a man without a dog so hat & dog must cancel surely (dog is travelling with us to collect as he loves a car trip)?

Anyway I've looked at my extensive wardrobe through the ages/styles and gone for the Fen redneck look... check shirt, boot cut jeans, leather belt with horse buckle.... multi pocket camo jacket ready if cold.

We'll see how that works out.

Stomach still under control... just!
If I were buying a private car today, it would be very similar to what you have chosen.

As a by the way, my brother in law used to have a similar vintage 525d saloon. He still says it was about the most complete car he's ever had but that if he'd had his time again he'd have gone for the estate.

I think you'll be pleased with it.
Ok, it's been a while, is he,

1/ back without it because it wasn't up to much?
2/ broken down on the way home?
3/ still out enjoying how much more fun a good chassis with RWD can be on twisty roads?
4/ in a ditch because he's done a bit too much of 3 ?

Hope it's 3.
;-)
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - No FM2R
I had the E39 528i Estate. Really, really enjoyed it. Good at everything, IMO.

So, Fenlander, do you want me to try to get all this BMW software and the round connector to you? If so, you better send your address to my e-mail.

You'll just need to install it on a laptop, any old aging POS will do.

No charge, other than a beer next time I'm round your way. (although since you've moved, I don't actually know where "your way" is anymore).
Thanks for the interest. Been a long day... 430ml round trip to collect car and something else in the same locality. Not eaten since 7.30am so a plate of Chinese calls and will update tomorrow.

But suffice to say no disasters and happy.... if we can work out how to keep the Alfa as well... which is my course of conversation with Mrs F tonight.

Thanks for offer NoFM.. as I say.. more tomorrow.
 BMW 5-Series E39 - My new Alfa Estate is a BMW 525! - legacylad
Hope you enjoy it half as much as my 04 330.
Despite it being a smelly old diesel
When it comes to tyre replacement, seriously consider Michelin Alpins. Mine are left on all year round, are wearing incredibly well and are just amazing in snow.
Have fun!
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 3 May 14 at 22:10
So I've done 200mls in it and had time to T-cut a few blemishes away then polish plus an initial basic interior valet. No mechanical stuff other than checking fluid levels. Not driving again until it goes for new tyres.

The seller was honest as far as it went but there were several things not mentioned that I might have to a buyer travelling 200+ miles..... and it wasn't mint. So a little more to do than expected but it was bought £950 under Glasses guide advised private sale price for age/spec/mileage... so enough leeway to properly sort things.

It's only two owner (inc the seller) and both lived in the same locality. The history is good and stamps/invoices/MOTs back up the very low for year 112.000mls. I'm not sure I saw any in my price range other than this that were under the usual 150k-180k mls (and above).

As on the other thread it needs 4 tyres and I knew that before travelling, I didn't know one alloy was bent though which vibrates around 65mph. I'll put that to the spare for now and source another used one on Ebay in due course.

It needs a service, not due yet on oil/filter but a year overdue the all filters aspect so I'll just do it all. Brake fluid done last year.

Advisories on the MOT 9mths ago lead me to expect a couple of anti-roll bar ball joints by now. I'm going to MOT it early next week so I can divert funds to essential repairs if reqd.

Nit picking wise the front cupholders, ashtray, drivers door mirror glass and integral dog guard netting are all faulty/broken.... to be repaired/sourced over the next few weeks.

Otherwise all elecs and climate, audio etc work.

Body wise it needs a small smart repair to 3 panels to get how I want, not mint but tidy looking.

The interior looks great for the valet, leather and carpets have cleaned really well.

From the drive home I can tell the engine, turbo, injection system, cooling system, clutch and transmission are all good. Stops really well and discs/pads look OK for a good while. Rear self levelling works fine.

So I think it will be a keeper once it's all sorted properly.

I will hold fire on a driving report until it has new tyres and that wobbly alloy changed, no point it pushing my luck now.

Latest Forum Posts