Motoring Discussion > Number plate confusion - help required please! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 5

Number plate confusion - help required please! - Slightlyfatdirector
I have just bought a nice private plate via Ebay for my weekend XJ-S convertible.

After buying the plate I have had second thoughts about putting it on my car. I have always been torn between the naffness of private plates, but that is often tempered by seeing an apt or funny one. The one I have bought falls into the latter catagory (in my humble opinion!).

I may choose to keep it on retention for a whilst I decide whether to sell it on or put it on the car. I bought it at a price I thought was low and I am sure that through being advertised in the right place I should be able to turn a profit. Either that or I will eventually stick it on the car.

The question is whether the vendor (a private seller who has the plate on a V778 retention plate) can transfer it into my name and address also on a retention certificate? The DVLA website is not clear and googling it does not help much. The V778 also does not tell you how to do this.

Has anyone here any experience of this and can you provide a bit of guidance? Thanks!
 Number plate confusion - help required please! - Zero
Tried phoning gthe DVLA at swansea?

As an aside, I saw the purfect number plate on an immacualte jaguar xj6

XJ56 PUR
 Number plate confusion - help required please! - FotheringtonTomas
Why don't you telephone the DVLA and ask them about your number plate?

I am not sure what a "private" 'plate is - is it merely a "personalised" one, or is there some distinction between the two?
Yes, just a number plate with the letters / numbers more appropriate to the car. Starts 'JAG' for example.

I was just wondering whether anyone on here had been through this procedure before and had some experience. I will call the DVLA for some help.
 Number plate confusion - help required please! - L'escargot
>> I have just bought a nice private plate via Ebay for my weekend XJ-S convertible.

In what way will it improve the car?
;-)
Now that's a fair point!

I blame ebay and a couple of beers too many for what was very much an impulse purchase :)
Latest Forum Posts