Motoring Discussion > Plate transfer: correct procedure Legal Questions
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 13

Plate transfer: correct procedure - WillDeBeest
...because I presume this isn't it. There's a house near mine that has until recently had on the drive two MB C estates, one green and one silver and of different vintages. Both have vanity plates beginning G8.

Last week I saw the silver car being parked in a drive on the opposite side of the road. Next day it was still there, and in its previous place was a new-looking Cayenne S, now showing the G8 plate. The silver C was still in the other drive, and still showing the G8 plate.

Several days later, nothing has changed - although neither car appears to have moved. Presumably no offence is committed until the old car is driven on a public road, but how was this even possible? I'd have thought the dealer of the new car would have required evidence that the number had been transferred off the old one before it could even make new plates. Any insight from those who've been through the process properly?
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Fenlander
We have our own plate on the Alfa and that will migrate to the 525 later this week. There is a rather blurred situation for the day of the swap but usually it doesn't last beyond that. The dealer would not care what plates were on the old car as long as he had documents to show the number was going on the new car.

The old car could stand on the drive for ever with the personal plate... just taking it on the road that would cause problems... and even then there are those at both ends of the social scale that wouldn't care.
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - BobbyG
And can get plates made up online without any ID, documents etc
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Bromptonaut
DVLA will issue (a) a form of authority for the new personal plate to be made up and (b) will allocate a correctly dated 'normal' registration for the donor vehicle. If the vehicle was previously registered on a dated plate it normally picks up it's old number again.

An authority will also be issued to get plate (b) made up.

Garage supplying Porsche will be quite happy if they see authority (a) and will make up physical plates in time for delivery. If owner of Merc has not yet got plates (b) made up, or needs to root them out from back of his garage if it's taking up original reg, then as long as Merc is off road and any SORN requirements met then no offence.

Ms B has a personal plate that belonged to her Mother and originally issued by Birmingham Corporation in 1951. When we bought a new Berlingo last September we needed to transfer the plate from the old 2005 Berlingo to the new one. Ther wasn't time to get the change done before we took delivery of the new car, instead I did all the paperwork and sent it off to DVLA. Paperwork, including authority to make up both sets of new plates, was returned in under a week.

Garage made up and fitted personal plates to new car at 1000 mile inspection. On same day I took them off the old one and simply refitted the 05 set that had come off the older car when it took up the personal number. The 63 plates are in the garage until such time as we need another change.
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - sherlock47
<
>>>new car at 1000 mile inspection<<<

I thought that this was long gone? Last 2 Cits, Picasso 06 and Berlingo 62 never saw the dealer at 1000miles.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 6 May 14 at 13:21
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - WillDeBeest
Passed it again this morning - walking that way a lot at the moment. The C showed no sign of having moved, so may be awaiting a buyer who will exchange the plates. The Cayenne wasn't there, so is presumably in use.

The Cayenne seems an odd choice for what appear to be a pair of pensioners in a bungalow, but who's to say? I suppose they have to spend their unearned income on something.
};---)
>> I thought that this was long gone? Last 2 Cits, Picasso 06 and Berlingo 62
>> never saw the dealer at 1000miles.

Odd indeed 'cos the 05 Berlingo certainly demanded it. I'm sure it wasn't co-incidence that 63 plate Berlingo 'Fleur' was at Perrys MK that point although we needed to see them for plates, to code a third key and to collect dog guard*.

Car is off site ATM as Mrs B is at orchestra practice, will check service guide tomorrow.

* No dog but want solid restraint for luggage above level of rear seats.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 May 14 at 19:19
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Skip
>> >> I thought that this was long gone? Last 2 Cits, Picasso 06 and Berlingo
>> 62
>> >> never saw the dealer at 1000miles.

Robins and Day Peugeot have always asked us to take them back after 1 month or 1000 miles for a check over. Purely optional though, it doesn't affect the warranty if you don't.
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Avant
"Ms B has a personal plate that belonged to her Mother and originally issued by Birmingham Corporation in 1951."

Rather nice if that was LOV - or even LOL!
>> Rather nice if that was LOV - or even LOL!

One of those answers is correct but I've probably mentioned it before.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 May 14 at 20:55
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Avant
You may have done tho' I didn't see it. I was nerdy as a child in the 1950s and used to spot car numbers. The memory of how the system worked, and how far through the alphabet the commonest local authorities had got, is still there - according to the usual rule that things you don't need to remember, you do.

If one sees an old car, it can be quite fun when the registration number helps to date it.
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Cliff Pope

>>
>> If one sees an old car, it can be quite fun when the registration number
>> helps to date it.
>>

OK, try these then:

LTF 396 F
AAS 109
>> LTF 396 F
>> AAS 109

TF was Reading and the F suffix was Aug 67 to July 68. So if it's on something like an Issigonos Mini or an early Mk2 Cortina it's a good clue.

On on modern car it's at most it might provide a guess at owners initials.

AS, according to Wiki, is Inverness. More difficult to age as year indicators applied post 63. The Birmingham reg on our car (three letters/two numbers) was issued, as above, in mid/late 1951 but I'd imagine it would take Inverness a long time to use it's allocation!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 7 May 14 at 08:54
 Plate transfer: correct procedure - Cliff Pope
Series landrover, 1968, and a Ferguson tractor, 1949.

Very good. Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts