Motoring Discussion > Renault - Captivated by a Captur..
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 7

Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - Slightlyfatdirector
Spent 8 days down in Bavaria a couple of weeks ago and hired a car from Munich airport. I had booked a Golf sized car as had previously hired a new C4 and then a new Megane when on holiday in Corsica, and they both just about fitted the three suitcases plus 3 cabin bags OK (using the spare rear seat as there are just three of us).

Turned up at Enterprise and informed I have a Captur. Oh dear I think, nice looking car, but way to small as based on a Clio...........

Turns out that it's quite a substantial little (or rather not so little) thing! Lots of head and leg room, and with a little planning all the cases fitted in with no trouble.

It was in a great cream colour with black gloss roof and highlights. I was concerned that the engine sounded a little odd, but in hindsight I think it is a three cylinder thing. A capacity of 900cc (same as my first car - Fiat 127), but a rather better 90bhp because of a turbo. Plenty of get up and go for city driving, and fine on the motorway as long as you didn't plan on overtaking. On the autobahn cars can come up very fast in the rear view mirror!

The engine encouraged me to drive in a more relaxed manner and so handling was not tested extensively. You are sat reasonably high, and I have read that it can feel a bit top-heavy on cornering, but I did not put this to the test. Inside it is great. Had a funky touch-screen with built-in satnav which was the best factory-fitted one I have used.

The glove box is inspired. It is a pull-out draw which is ingenious, as well as being very big and practical. Additional storage on the dash top too.

The seats were supportive and comfortable, and have the very clever zip-off covers for the mum's with snotty kids and crumbs galore. Lots of legroom front and rear too.

It looked great and draw a lot of looks in Germany. We did not see another one there, and the concierge at the hotel (a Frenchman) had neither seen nor heard of one before. Shame the lovely cream colour was German 'taxi' cream.....

Mrs. SFD seemed quite keen, although after the 200hp of her Eos we would need to look at a sportier engine perhaps, and then the handling would need some scrutiny....

Nice car.

Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - Boxsterboy
I know what you mean about their size - Clio based but quite a big car ( but then I suppose the Clio is quite a big car too these days).

I'm off to Ibiza next week and am relishing the surprise of what hire car awaits me!
 Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - DP
The current Clio is enormous. It's actually 2cm wider than the original Scenic!
 Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - retgwte
Why would you buy it when you can get a Dacia Stepway of a similar spec for a lot less?

Stepway has similar underpinnings, parts etc, similar jacked up approach, and similar space, take the silly stickers off the doors and they are ok

Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - Dog
Why would you buy a Captur when you can get a 1.7D Sportage for another couple of g's.
 Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - Gromit
...or a Subaru XV?

Er, because of the couple of g's extra in the price for the XV or Kia! As for the Dacia, its substance and no style, whereas surely the aim of buying a Captur over a Scenic is to get style (perhaps over substance, even)?
 Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - Dog
>>or a Subaru XV?

Funnily enough, the Subaru XV is available with 1 years interest-free credit 50:50 Ultimate Plus PCP plan :)
 Renault - Captivated by a Captur.. - R.P.
Saw one of these yesterday....appealed to my ugly car attraction. It look very nice to me !
Latest Forum Posts