Motoring Discussion > Spanish motoring law Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 9

Spanish motoring law - CGNorwich
Changes effective 9th May.

Speeding fines apply for exceeding the limit by just 1kph!

On some motorways, the speed limit is being increased from 120kph to 130kph, but in many
towns, the speed limit is being reduced from 30kph to 20kph.

If the Guardia Civil observe a motoring offence and note the vehicle registration number, this provides sufficient evidence to prosecute- no need for them to stop vehicles.

A minimum fine of 1,000 Euros will be payable by drivers caught driving whilst double the drink drive limit or above; or in all cases for re-offending drink drivers; and drivers under the influence of drugs.

The Guardia Civil can seize any vehicle carrying children without legally compliant child seats.
The very specific rules as to where children must sit in the vehicle (according to age/ height) must be observed, otherwise drivers face heavy fines.

Cyclists under 16 years of age must wear helmets.

Drivers have much higher duties to ensure the safety of cyclists of all ages.

Speed camera/ radar detectors are prohibited.

An EU Directive is to be implemented so that driving offences committed in one EU country are reported to the EU country of registration of the vehicle in question.

Much stricter rules are being implemented for the Spanish registration of foreign registered vehicles kept in Spain.

The above is by no means exhaustive.
 Spanish motoring law - Westpig
>> An EU Directive is to be implemented so that driving offences committed in one EU
>> country are reported to the EU country of registration of the vehicle in question.

...and then what?.....straight into the bin.

We are a country that constantly tries to do it right.... but there's no set up here for a Spanish official to advise a British one of a British registered car driver's misdemeanour's in Spain and act on it.

...and in any case the British police don't have enough resources to act on their own stuff..let alone other EU countries stuff.
 Spanish motoring law - No FM2R
>>but there's no set up here for a Spanish official to advise a British one of a British registered car driver's misdemeanour's in Spain and act on it

Surely a good idea if there was though. Provided that whatever the car did is also illegal under UK law.

>>and in any case the British police don't have enough resources to act on their own stuff.

A whole 'nother thing. It is wrong that they do not.
 Spanish motoring law - Westpig
>> >>but there's no set up here for a Spanish official to advise a British one
>> of a British registered car driver's misdemeanour's in Spain and act on it
>>
>> Surely a good idea if there was though. Provided that whatever the car did is
>> also illegal under UK law.
>>
>> >>and in any case the British police don't have enough resources to act on their
>> own stuff.
>>
>> A whole 'nother thing. It is wrong that they do not.
>>
What happens if you want to go to court and plead NG...does the Spanish cop have to turn up to the British court?
 Spanish motoring law - Roger.
Thanks to the EU we now have the European Arrest Warrant where UK citizens are able to and have been, extradited to another EU country - many with VERY different legal practices, without a case being made in a British court.
 Spanish motoring law - Bromptonaut

>> Surely a good idea if there was though. Provided that whatever the car did is
>> also illegal under UK law.

Why the provided bit? When in Rome and all that. I've driven around 40k miles in France in last 15yrs. Like what is proposed in Spain there's no equivalent of UK's 10%+1mph threshold for speeding - 91kph on an ordinary D road is fine territory. So you need to read up before you go yeah?

And apart from a parking ticket in Chartres c2004 I've had no dealings with French officialdom. I either play by their rules or keep my eyes open if chancing it.
 Spanish motoring law - No FM2R
>>Why the provided bit? When in Rome and all that

Because if it is illegal in Rome and Clacton, I see no reason for you not to be prosecuted in Clacton.

If, on the other hand, it were illegal in Rome but perfectly lawful in Clacton, then I would expect you to be extradited should you and 'your' case meet the criteria.
 Spanish motoring law - Roger.
It's the Spanish State desperate for revenue.
 Spanish motoring law - Mike Hannon
20kph is 12.4mph. Surely it can't be practical?
I thought I read the other day that the business of fining people in their own countries for motoring offences committed in other countries has been put on hold (by the EU no less) because of legal problems. In any case the UK didn't sign up to it - but might have to if an updated version is introduced.
In my experience, driving on Spanish roads is a pain because the speed limits keep changing and you are never sure what the National Speed Limit actually is.
In theory France has banned 'radar detectors' and satnavs with speed camera databases, but the reality is that speed camera' warnings are now 'danger area' warnings and nobody I know has ever seen a gendarme examine a satnav of any type for compliance.
 Spanish motoring law - ....
I'd be interested in the definition of speed camera/radar detector.
There's not much detection going on when it's a point on a map. It never moves.

If they get too zealous with the implementation they may find it has a negative impact on tourism and car hire companies next year. You'd feel pretty cheesed off to get a speeding ticket for 71mph on the M1.
I'd be interested in seeing how this would be cost effective chasing people all over Europe. Given the Schengen agreement the only time they know who's in the country for mainland Europe is if your passport is registered with the local plod. If enough German's were to picked up for rulings made against them in their absence the previous year it might be ever so slightly detrimental to the long term finances of the holiday regions.

I know Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands swap information. They have talked about it being extended across Europe. Not aware of it being fully implemented.
Latest Forum Posts