Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am
Thread Author: madf Replies: 34

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - madf
A new extension was added to our house at 6:11am.. smashed stone and internal plaster cracked...

The Disco is a write off.

tinyurl.com/md9r6g5
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Dog
Is that actually your house mad f, as in your house?
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Clk Sec
Sorry to hear of your new extension, madf.

Are you aware of the number of pics on your link?
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Dog
Buzz orf C/S.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Clk Sec
:-)
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - sherlock47
Just as well it was not a modern timber framed house, you may had company for breakfast in bed :)
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - spamcan61
..and it hit a corner, which I would think is the strongest part of the walls.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Crankcase
>> Buzz orf C/S.

Oh bee nice.
>> Oh bee nice.
>>

There's a sting in his tail.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Runfer D'Hills
Looks like the Discovery was washed recently. Bummer that.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - VxFan
>> Buzz orf C/S.

Behive yourself.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - madf
>> Is that actually your house mad f, as in your house?
>>

Yes: Our house..

Built c 1820... and added to in c 1900 and c 1970.

The bit you see is the original...

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - ToMoCo
Looks very nice indeed, from what little we can see.

Is there a bad bend there? Driver asleep? what's the story?
Driver gets into auto V8 Disco at 6:05am. raining. Drives 200 meters down hill to T junction. Our house gates (to right of piccie) are just opposite the vertical section of the T which driver goes down.

Driver should then pause and look right before he turns left down road... bend .. (30mph limit and no parking just after our garden due to school) .. he claimed he hit accelerator rather than brake - which would account for the revving Mrs madf heard.. cars sprints across the road , mounts pavement , kills privet hedge and hits house. Driver still pressing accelerator - (he was about 53 years old so MUCH younger than me:-) . Car stops, house shakes, plaster in study - behind wall - cracks all way from ceiling to floor (walls are 2 foot thick : plaster is original 1820s)..

It was wet and puddles of road: we heard tyres spinning before crash... Oil filter housing torn off when car mounted pavement. Roof buckled and passenger door will not shut.. Airbags go off despite 12 years old.. (design life 10 years).. and windscreen cracks. Engine stalls in cloud of steam.

Car now gone... police came -- Incident logged.. All before 8am.. (Just as well - bus route and school 100 meters down road..) Police stopped all traffic as Disco loaded onto transporter...

Lots more piccies but numberplate evident so don't want to post them...
Last edited by: madf on Mon 12 May 14 at 12:07
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Bromptonaut
>> Lots more piccies but numberplate evident so don't want to post them...

Any photo software will provide an eraser or marker pen tool to remove/conceal.
tinyurl.com/m74z267
More piccies
Last edited by: madf on Mon 12 May 14 at 12:25
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Cliff Pope
>
>>
>>

Why not? What's this thing about blotting out numberplates?

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - spamcan61
>> >
>> >>
>> >> Lots more piccies but numberplate evident so don't want to post them...
>> >>
>>
>> Why not? What's this thing about blotting out numberplates?
>>
I've never worked it out, is there a real legal requirement? Seems to be the 'done thing' - but only since it became easy to do in the digital photography age.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Slidingpillar
Why not? What's this thing about blotting out numberplates?

Two issues here.

1/ A lot of folk do it, supposedly to prevent identity theft.
2/ In case there are complications and publishing the number hindered a possible court case.

I'd say two was reasonable here, but most uses of one are just hyper worrying. If you google my user name, you'll see I don't. However, you'd have to be a complete numpty to try and clone what is a quite rare car.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Cliff Pope
If one were looking for a suitable car whose identity one wanted to steal, why chose one that's crashed into a house, rather any of millions driving about on the roads with their number plates revealed to all?

I don't get the second reason either. If a crime has been committed, usually the police issue descriptions to try and encourage people to come forward who may have seen something.
Why would withholding the most useful identifying feature of all hinder an investigation?

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Slidingpillar
I don't get the second reason either. If a crime has been committed, usually the police issue descriptions to try and encourage people to come forward who may have seen something.
Why would withholding the most useful identifying feature of all hinder an investigation?

Because there is no need to search and if the matter went to court you don't give the other side any opportunity to cry foul.

I'm pretty sure madf has all the details he'll need.

I'm not party to scrub out numbers brigade as I said, but I think here there is a reasonable case.
The crasher lives 200 meters away - or less--- and it's been on local radio news.. (not leaked by me).. Last thing I want is aggro..
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Duncan
>> If one were looking for a suitable car whose identity one wanted to steal, why
>> chose one that's crashed into a house, rather any of millions driving about on the
>> roads with their number plates revealed to all?

I don't get this either. If I wanted to clone a certain car, I would visit a main dealer for that make.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Westpig
>>

Why does that matter?

- Not your car
- We all display our plates when we are driving around
- It's going to a scrap yard anyway
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Meldrew
I notice that damaged cars, being moved around on car transporters have their number plates covered with bodge tape, for whatever reason.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Bromptonaut
>> I notice that damaged cars, being moved around on car transporters have their number plates
>> covered with bodge tape, for whatever reason.

The breakers who collected my Xantia did that. Reason given when I asked was risk of cloning with according to the driver 'our Eastern European cousins' being responsible.

I guess it doesn't need to be commonplace to be a lot of hassle when it happens. Mitigating risk by obscuring plate with gaffer tape is easy and low cost.
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Crankcase

>> I guess it doesn't need to be commonplace to be a lot of hassle when
>> it happens. Mitigating risk by obscuring plate with gaffer tape is easy and low cost.

Does the same apply to the increasing use of blurring of children's faces on tv? That seems like a peculiar practice in most cases. Perhaps it's done out of courtesy to parents who worry about such things.

But I saw a programme the other day where they showed a still of a class of schoolkids; the child they were talking about had her face in the clear, and all the rest were blurred.

Seemed a strange editorial decision to me. The photo was taken in the 1890s. Unless it was to avoid the Daily Mail saying - "Time Travelling Paedos Are MOLESTING Your Immigrant Grandmother!!!!"

Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Westpig
There is no reason for it...it's one of those things where people jump on the bandwagon and think it's the 'sensible' thing to do.

It used to be quite common on Autotrader for private buyers to blank out their car number plate... (which means people like me can't accurately value it) ...there's no real valid reason for it, because any car cloner could drive around and wait until they see one driving around or one parked in a car park, or one in a dealer's stock, etc.

If on the odd occasion I look at private sales on Autotrader for a car I have a customer ready for.. if the number plate is blanked out, I automatically dismiss it... there's plenty more out there.
>> There is no reason for it...it's one of those things where people jump on the
>> bandwagon and think it's the 'sensible' thing to do.

OTOH if you want to clone say a blue Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 LX it would be much quicker and easier to search auto trader than lurk on car parks etc hoping a plausible candidate turned up.
>>Yes: Our house.. Built c 1820... and added to in c 1900 and c 1970.

Proper job then, as we say in Carnwall ... a Citroen AX would be enough to demolish a wall in a 'modern' house.
Yes: that's what the driver said: or something like that..:-)

(and the policeman as well - his walls are 2 feet thick as well!)
Are you sure he said walls.

:-)
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Armel Coussine
A bit of cracked plaster inside doesn't always indicate serious structural damage. Masonry and brickwork settle anyway over time. The ground under them isn't always stable either.

Doubtless a structural engineer will give it the once-over fairly soon. Hope and trust it's good news madf.

Impressive bit of driving by your neighbour. Some sort of seizure perhaps?
 Land Rover Discovery 2 - Discovered new car extension to our house 6.11 am - Dulwich Estate
It looks like the naff, fake stone cladding took it quite well, :-).
>> It looks like the naff, fake stone cladding took it quite well, :-).
>>

Come over here and I'll apply the naff stone cladding to your car:-)

Anyone want a Disco front passenger side headlamp assembly - virtually unbroken - complete with all bulbs?

Latest Forum Posts