Motoring Discussion > Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 17

Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - Focusless
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27392157

Customers asking dealers about NCAP for various Audis (A5, A7, A8, R8) were told they had 5 star ratings, whereas they haven't actually been tested. Head office also claimed entire range tested. Oops.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 May 14 at 09:41
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - madf
In the US, Audi would get fines in $million.

The UK will do nothing.
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - Alanovich
Why is the headline not: "Audi - Doody"?
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - WillDeBeest
And there was I thinking they'd written a song about it.
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - Bill Payer
The surprise is that anyone would be surprised that car salesmen and a marque's UK operation tell lies.
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - borasport
>> And there was I thinking they'd written a song about it.

Do I hear the whoosh of a multilingual pun passing straight overhead ?

Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - WillDeBeest
At least your head was close enough to hear it.
};---)
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - No FM2R
This is very strange.

I cannot believe that it was a deliberate decision, or deliberate misinformation, on the part of the company.

Is it possible someone at head office screwed up and sent a duff communication?

>> Is it possible someone at head office screwed up and sent a duff communication?

From the BBC report:

He told Watchdog: "Forty-eight of the 50 dealers I spoke to told me directly that it had been put through the Euro NCAP programme and it had a five-star rating."

So yes, sounds like too many to be just dealers using their initiative. So where did the communication come from? Assuming it stated a 5 star rating explicitly, was it a case of the wrong end of the stick grabbed somewhere? You'd think no one would be daft enough to just make it up.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 May 14 at 19:50
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - IJWS14
More press sensationalism

Euroncap used to list cars built on the same platform on their test results but I can't see it on there now.

Bearing in mind that the A5 is not a new car, it is based on another Audi, as is the A7 etc then Audi probably could, at the time they were launched, claim they had been tested as the car they are based on had been.

After all do you expect Ford to test a Focus hatch, estate, cabriolet and saloon? Do you expect Audi to test an A6 saloon and hatch?
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - spamcan61
Given that each bodyshell variant will perform differently in a crash then yes, i'd expect them to test each bodyshell variant in order to claim an NCAP rating on it.

Can't believe VAG have made a cock-up of this magnitude, given many potential buyers' (not including me) emphasis on NCAP ratings.
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - swiss tony
>> Given that each bodyshell variant will perform differently in a crash then yes, i'd expect
>> them to test each bodyshell variant in order to claim an NCAP rating on it.

Most people don't understand NCAP ratings anyway, I didn't until I underwent some basic training on it.

The ratings are not equal across the board.
Firstly the date that the test is important. - a car that got a 3 star rating in 2013 will be better than 4 star rating in 2007 (or possible even a 5 star!)

Secondly, the segments also differ, ie a 4star medium car, could be a lot safer than a 5 star super mini, tested in the same year.
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - spamcan61

>> Secondly, the segments also differ, ie a 4star medium car, could be a lot safer
>> than a 5 star super mini, tested in the same year.
>>
Agreed; meaningful comparisons are difficult (hence I don't bother), and then one has to hope that if one is in a crash then the crash scenario matches one of the NCAP tests....but then from a marketing point of view it's a nice easy number to use to "prove" one type of car is "safer" than another.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 May 14 at 10:11
>> Bearing in mind that the A5 is not a new car, it is based on
>> another Audi

You might be right IJWS but which one?
Ah ok - "The new A5 and B8 A4 were based on the Audi MLP platform (Modular Longitudinal Platform) which underpin the next generation A6 and A8."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A5

Although I don't think being 'based on' excuses an NCAP test?
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 May 14 at 20:43
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - madf
"
Although I don't think being 'based on' excuses an NCAP test?"

Agreed. A platform = floorpan and suspension.

Given that crash protection comprises airbags, crushability, dash plastics, steering wheel deformation, seatbelts etc...it is inconceivable that two different models using the same floorpan will give the same results unless of course they are identical in every major safety aspect.. including doors, wings, front bulkhead etc etc...
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - Dave_
>> it is inconceivable that two different models using the same floorpan will give the same results

And the results can (or at least could) be skewed simply by the inclusion or otherwise of airbag warning stickers, seatbelt reminders etc. So a stickered example might gain an extra star over a non-stickered one.

As I spend most of my time in a 7-tonne lorry which has a fundamental cab design 20 years old, I rely on not crashing to protect myself. Same technique in the Morgan, which actually seems purpose-built to injure its occupants.

At least my "grown-up" car has the full complement of 'bags, stars and electronic nannies.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Thu 15 May 14 at 18:14
 Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - IJWS14
There is a view that drivers would behave very differently if there was a 6" steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel.
Latest Forum Posts