Motoring Discussion > Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 26

Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - VxFan

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27405467

Police don't suspect fowl play and the driver will more than likely only receive a poultry fine.
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Westpig
I see there's a tow wagon to pullet out
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Westpig
So you don't think the driver will end up before the beak?
It's not eggspected.
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Armel Coussine
No, a mere cock-up. Nothing to crow about really.
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Pat
He just wanted them to be free range.

Pat
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Cliff Pope
An offer taken up by some of them:

"The more adventurous ones did manage to go quite far"
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Pat
The Independent reports:

'A spokesman for animal charity Peta said the incident exposed the “extraordinary trauma and cruelty of transport for chickens” and other animals.

“Chickens are routinely crammed by the thousands onto the back of lorries and taken on terrifying journeys to slaughter in all weather conditions,” he added.

“Peta will be asking to place a memorial sign for the chickens who died in the lorry crash near Warrington this morning.

“We hope our memorial will remind people that chickens are not just body parts to pick out of buckets but individuals with feelings who, like us, don't want to die in an upturned lorry or at an abattoir.”

Pat
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - borasport
The last time we had that sort of chaos and gridlock round here was when someone jumped off a bridge and under a lorry at Risley. There is no roadside memorial to him, so sod the chickens

That sort of road closure does tend to descend into a total lockdown in this part of the world, with the A57 and A580 taking much of the overflow, only this morning a motorbike accident at 8:50 requiring the air ambulance caused the A580 to be closed at the same time. so my 13 mile 45 minute back road journey takes twice as long, a colleague who has a 55 minute journey 18 mile , partially down the A580, took two and a half hours to get in to work this morning.
I can tune this sort of thing out, especially if (a) I know in advance, and the M62 closure was on the 06:50 traffic news and (b) I'm going to work, not going home. 30 years of commuting round here have taught me there is diddly squat you can do about it, get yourself comfortable, find something decent to listen to and contemplate the meaning of life. I don't share the annoyance of this anonymous motorist in today's local rag

'A frustrated motorist from Whitley who was stuck on the M6 admitted she was furious as she was late for an important meeting at work.
She said: “This is ridiculous, it took me an hour and a half to move 10 miles.
“The whole motorway was gridlocked all because of a load of chickens. It made me late for all of my morning meetings, I’m so annoyed.”

And I am mildly annoyed at the sheer nothingness of the story - what would Iffy have to say ?

>> “The whole motorway was gridlocked all because of a load of chickens. It made me
>> late for all of my morning meetings, I’m so annoyed.”
>>

It was a crime scene. Standard practice is to close the motorway for hours, set up tapes and cones everywhere, and start hunting for someone to blame.
>> Peta will be asking to place a memorial sign for the chickens who died in the lorry crash near Warrington this morning.

Did they poach that idea from somewhere else?
Where eggactly are they going to put it?
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Runfer D'Hills
A witness was overheard to say 'Oh cluck'
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - CGNorwich
'A spokesman for animal charity Peta said the incident exposed the “extraordinary trauma and cruelty of transport for chickens” and other animals."

I must say I have often been behind a truck load of chickens and have been struck by the cruelty of the conditions in which they are transported.
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Manatee
That's a lot of chickens. When you see how they are handled commercially, it's as if they really aren't counted as animals.

They have tiny brains of course and don't appear to rationalise as such. If they get the wrong side of a fence, they will only discover by accident that they can walk around it a few yards away. But they do learn - once they have done it, they don't usually need to discover it again.

We keep a handful for the eggs, and they are pets really - but quite amusing when they aren't turfing out young pea plants or eating the lettuces.

The way they produce an egg nearly every day almost year round is most impressive! Surprised they keep doing it judging by the squawking it seems to entail:)
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Boxsterboy
Good to see that the emergency services were scrambled when the 999 call came in.
Nothing to crow about.
>>
>> We keep a handful for the eggs, and they are pets really - but quite
>> amusing when they aren't turfing out young pea plants or eating the lettuces.
>>

We've got three left, remnants of a bigger flock. They must be 10 years old now, but still lay the odd egg, quite regularly in summer.

One in particular is very tame, and always comes and hops on the table when we are eating outside and tries to steal from our plates. She has been found in the kitchen eating cat food or scraps from the sink.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 15 May 14 at 08:50
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Bromptonaut
>> I must say I have often been behind a truck load of chickens and have
>> been struck by the cruelty of the conditions in which they are transported.

And not just chickens either. Kind of puts the Halal meat stuff back in its proper context.
>> Kind of puts the Halal meat stuff back in its
>> proper context.

Not really - it wasn't a cruelty issue, for the most part.
>> Not really - it wasn't a cruelty issue, for the most part.

True, but you wouldn't grasp that from a lot of the media coverage. I'd also suggest the cruelty stuff, both in transit and elsewhere in the supermarket food supply chain, is more important than men saying prayers in the abattoir.
>> 'A spokesman for animal charity Peta said the incident exposed the “extraordinary trauma and cruelty of transport for chickens” and other animals.

The surviving chickens are being rehomed by a nearby pet sanctuary. The birds were herded up an embankment by workers from the nearby Dogs 4 Rescue and are now being given away to "good homes".

Emma Billington, from the rescue centre, said she hoped they would "go on and live normal lives".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-27418617

>> Peta will be asking to place a memorial sign for the chickens who died in the lorry crash near Warrington this morning.

tinyurl.com/oxseh69 - Daily Wail

Animal rights campaigners call for commemoration after M62 accident branded 'idiocy' by drivers

Shirley Edwards, 60, said: ‘That is rank idiocy.

‘It is sad but a memorial is preposterous. I think PETA were having a Monty Python moment. Ridiculous!’

Driver Peter Rogers, 42, said: ‘To call for a memorial is idiotic. Only a loony would want a memorial to chickens.’

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 May 14 at 10:24
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - swiss tony
Sounds like the driver is a cock.
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Mr. Ecs
No doubt receive a poultry fine
>> No doubt receive a poultry fine

Indeed! I mentioned that one right at the start of the thread ;)
Police are combing the site and hope for a crop of evidence.
 Lorry driver ruffles feathers on the M62 - Mr. Ecs
The bantam menace
That was one hell of a hen party.
Latest Forum Posts