Motoring Discussion > Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 Buying / Selling
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 9

Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - mikeyb
Always quite fancied one of these and one has come up locally that appears to be a good deal

Covered 150K but very tidy with full dealer history.

A quick google revealed that the gearbox is a weak point,but its been replaced in 2012 on this one.

Any thoughts / pointers?
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - Fenlander
I've always liked them but there was someone on here or HJ going back a while who bought one and only kept it a short time... can't remember what the main issues were.

I've always liked them.

GM transmission failure then?? One thing that stopped me finding a 159 Alfa estate was that many were the model with a GM transmission made from cheese. When you phoned after the cars and pushed the seller they almost all admitted it might need a wheel bearing as there was a slight whine at times... ah so that'll actually be a new transmission soon.
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - Alanovich
>> I've always liked them but there was someone on here or HJ going back a
>> while who bought one and only kept it a short time... can't remember what the
>> main issues were.

Espada III. He hated it.
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - ToMoCo
Nice enough if you can live with the economy. I'd want to make sure the history is impeccable for those turbos.
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - WillDeBeest
What was the gearbox replaced with? I don't mean that facetiously (although we hope it was another gearbox rather than, say, a pork pie.) But unless it was a new box from the factory, what's the likelihood that the car's just been pushed a little way back on the road to trouble? And if the gearbox has failed, weakspot or not, what does that tell us about the way the car had been driven and treated?
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - Lygonos
Hairdresser's car.

What you need, my son, is the 4.4 litre Yamaha-sourced V8 variant.
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - Dog
>>Hairdresser's car.

I could do with a haircut, but I might as well wait until we move to ... Cyprus!

:o}
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - ....
You don't say how old the car is.

The earlier T6's were problematic, the newer ones appear to be less so from what I've read on the Volvo forum but that might just be down to age.

4x4 transfer mechanism to 4wd is the part that causes issue. The splines on the shaft are made of cheese. Get it onto grass/some loose surface to check the four wheel drive part works.

Depends what you will use the car for whether fuel use (notice I didn't say economy) is an issue or not. Some people have reported low 20's out of T6 cars, my own D3 only returns 36 on average since last November with a low point of 34. Hardly much of a penalty for 300 horses vs 163.

If looking at a V8 go for the latest one you can, the earlier ones had issues with water getting down between the banks.
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - mikeyb
Thank for the helpful comments. I popped up to the dealers to have a nose around it earlier. Its a small outlet with a dozen or so cars of which this is the oldest / cheapest. The guy wasn't there (note in the window asking to ring his mobile), so I had a good nose around. Not immaculate, slight scuff to front bumper, few store chips, but not to bad

He told me on the phone it had full dealer service history and gearbox replaced in 2012. Would need to view the history to understand what has / has not been done, however, it has 4 almost new Michelin Primacy's fitted. In my mind you don't buy decent tyres and use the main dealer if you are skimping.

Also I forgot to add earlier, its LPG'd so running costs should be in line with the D5.......

Its a 2003 model and he wants 2750 for it - no negotiation. If it doesn't go in the week tells me its off to auction as its a bit old / leggy for him to have on his forecourt

Heart says yes, head says no, but the dull Sharan is sending me to sleep, and I really fancy a bit of leather clad automatic cruising for my commute
 Volvo XC90 - Looking at a XC90 T6 - ....
No harm in looking, if you get a test drive it gives you a reference point for future test drives.

I'd check who serviced the LPG system, Volvo didn't offer one on a T6, the factory LPG cars were 5 cylinder with either 140 or 170 horsepower. They weren't a huge sales success. Can't imagine a main dealer would go near the system while the rest of the car was being fettled.

I recall XC Volvos came on Pirelli Scorpion tyres or maybe that was just the XC70.
Latest Forum Posts