Motoring Discussion > Engine Oil Recycling. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 25

Engine Oil Recycling. - maltrap
Does any one know why we don,t/can,t recycle used engie oil. With what,s happened to BP surely there,s a case for doing whatever is necessary to used oil so that it can be re-used.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - borasport
We do.
there is a facility at the council recycling centre/tip for just that purpose for us amateurs, and businesses that collect it from commercial mechanics/garages

What have you been doing with yours ?
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Armel Coussine
Rabbit holes. Free, clean, easy and green.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - VxFan
I thought the likes of Bellboy and oilrag recycle it by painting the underside of their cars with it?
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Zero
thinned with some of that useless tat they sell as a creosote replacement, its been sprayed on my shed.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Harleyman
Silkolene oils (now owned by Fuchs) are mainly recycled products. Not sure about other brands but I daresay they're not the only ones.

I also take mine to the local council recycling depot. You may also find that your local garage will accept it if you ask them; I think they get paid for it.
I do take my used oil to the local council collection site, but i don,t know what happens to it then.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - bathtub tom
I understood the oil in your engine has probably been through several already. A bit like the water we drink, but I try not to think about that. ;>(
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Old Navy
I wish you hadn't mentioned water, a dead sheep was found in the local reservior recently. As for oil, a filter, clean, and additive package and good as new.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Stuartli
Most of the cheap engine oils available at your local car accessory shop or supermarket comprise re-cycled oil.

Oil doesn't lose its ability to lubricate and re-cycled oil is cleaned and given some new additives before going on sale.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Bellboy
most garages have an oil burner for the winter months and so need your old oil to keep warm
councils sell it on if they are on the ball or put it through the letter boxes of default non paying council tax payers
this under the new lib con regime is going to be stopped though as it damages the seals and we dont want to upset the greens...................
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Shiny
If you aren't recycling it, then what are you doing with it? :o
It even tells you to do it on the oil bottle and gives an Oilcare number to call and website for the nearest collection point.
www.oilbankline.org.uk

made non-clickable - may contain a virus proceed at your own risk
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 23 Jun 10 at 23:26
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Old Navy
WARNING THE ABOVE LINK CONTAINS A VIRUS.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Zero
Yer

Exploit:JS/Elecom.gen!A

www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/trojexpjso.html
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Mapmaker

Stuartli>> Oil doesn't lose its ability to lubricate and re-cycled oil is cleaned and given some
>> new additives before going on sale.

Not so. Oil is made up of long hydrocarbon molecules. Over time, and under heat, it breaks down into shorter hydrocarbon molecules which have a lower lubricity.

Oil refineries break down very long hydrocarbon molecules into more useful shorter ones in a process known as cracking.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - L'escargot
>> Does any one know why we don,t/can,t recycle used engie oil.

Perhaps it costs more to recycle it than it does to start from scratch. The economies of scale would be lost if it was recycled.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - jc2
Creosote is now back on the market;it was found that it's replacement liquid was even more harmful than the genuine stuff!!
>> Creosote is now back on the market; .............

Where?
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Focusless
>> >> Creosote is now back on the market; .............
>>
>> Where?

First google shopping result:
www.avsfencing.co.uk/retail/products-by-type/timber-stain/timber-stain/creosote-creosote-substitutes/creosote-traditional/
Fair 'nuff.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Falkirk Bairn
My local indie burns old engine oil in the central heating boiler (V old) in winter.
In summer it is picked up by a tanker and he gets paid something for the old oil.

Why do we pay for recycling old oil at main dealers when they get paid when it is picked up? Another main dealer con..................
I think creosote is a by product of coal or wood burning not oil.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Focusless
>> I think creosote is a by product of coal or wood burning not oil.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

The American Wood Preservers' Association states that creosote "shall be a distillate derived entirely from tars produced from the carbonization of bituminous coal."
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

Wood creosote is ................... and burned taste.

I wonder how they found that out!
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Victorbox
I pop it outside on the pavement on a Thursday in an old can if I have any and the nice council recycling people take it away along with the plastics, paper, batteries, metal, glass etc.
 Engine Oil Recycling. - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
I've got one of those plastic catch trays/cum jerry cans. Once it gets near full I take it to the councils waste disposal. Always a few drips to spare for the boot carpet. I noticed the filler on the bulk disposal tank was partly blocked by very gungy stuff.
Our council just collect bottles, cans and paper. Everything else needs to be driven/carried elsewhere.Even lost the compostable waste collection at my new abode.
Latest Forum Posts