Motoring Discussion > Number plates. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 8

Number plates. - FotheringtonTomas
Looking ahead, for someone who is currently too young to drive, I can see some number plates that'd make good "personalised" ones. Is there a way to "buy" these for use later on?
 Number plates. - mikeyb
You can hold them on a retention certificate, but I am not sure for how long
 Number plates. - Manatee
I'm pretty sure you can extend it annually for, currently, £25.

You could of course put it on your own car pro tem.
 Number plates. - Slightlyfatdirector
The DVLA have a range available that are generally cheaper than many you see via other independent companies. A quick search on google for DVLA number plates will take you there.
 Number plates. - L'escargot
>> Looking ahead, for someone who is currently too young to drive, I can see some
>> number plates that'd make good "personalised" ones.

Save your money. It probably wouldn't be long before at least one of the plates was mangled in a collision!
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 24 Jun 10 at 13:20
 Number plates. - ....
You're assuming the young person will actually want to drive/have a car in the future.

My eldest son turns 17 this summer. Me, I was itching to get my licence when I was that age. He was a real car nut when he was younger but with the prospect of £5k insurance bills for a scrapper he's totally disinterested now.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 24 Jun 10 at 17:56
 Number plates. - FotheringtonTomas
>> You're assuming the young person will actually want to drive/have a car in the future.

That's right - I can get one that's just the ticket quite cheaply, though. Oh, the good fortune of having 4 initials!
 Number plates. - Boxsterboy
Friends of ours have had a private plate of their daughter's initials on their car since she was about 2 years old. I presume they will transfer it to a brand new car for her 17th birthday ...

Personally I think it is really sad, but then I've never got the private plate 'thing'.
 Number plates. - -
Think carefully about the costs and trouble of swapping every single time they buy another vehicle, the one set in our family is a PITA for the one concerned.
Latest Forum Posts