Motoring Discussion > Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 23

Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - R.P.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east_wales/10396311.stm
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Tooslow
Good on the magistrate. But we have to pay for her taxis AFTER she's lost her job!!! Good grief. The sense of entitlement from these people, the sense of superiority is jaw dropping. Ah well, she's learning.

Incidentally, while Gordon's absence (pause for a disturbing jaw movement) is welcome, surely he stood as an MP, he offered to do the job (pfadjm), indicated he was willing to do the job? But he's not shown up in Parliament. Back when I (pfadjm) worked for a living, I twice, over many years, had a new employee not turn up on day 1. Guess what. There was (pfadjm) no day 2.

JH
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - MD
?
Hi Martin. I'm working on helping Gordon do that voluntary work he said he wanted to do. He can't do it while he's in Parliament, err sulking in wherever it is, now can he?

JH
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Iffy
More undignified hook wriggling.

Having said that, people who know her better than me, speak well of Ms Baird and the way she went about representing Redcar.

Still no excuse, though.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - smokie
Much as I detest the attitude of many MPs, I don't think trying to wriggle out of trouble is unique to that race.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Armel Coussine
It's fatuous for someone to be banned from driving for six months merely for going a bit briskly on a road safe for almost any speed. Fatuous.

And this poor woman was banned on totting-up, with some of her existing points due to expire in days. If the magistrates weren't excrement they would have worked it to let her off, or ban her for a few days, ex-MP, ex-drug dealer or whatever.

Load of carp, and despicable to applaud it. But I have got used to being in bed with some toerags here.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - rtj70
I've only been done for speeding once. Same area on the M4 (Miskin) as this MP and the came court. Also the same number of points but my fine was smaller. Although I was done in 1998.

EDIT: I had no excuses and pleaded guilty. I also went to court which meant a train journey from Manchester and a night's stay in a hotel. So sort of doubled the fine. I knew someone who once drove to court in a company car when on 9 points.... his car stayed in the car park.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 24 Jun 10 at 00:19
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Bromptonaut
Sheesh.

A QC and she cannot mitigate better than that?
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Iffy
...A QC and she cannot mitigate better than that?...

That sort of work was never Vera's thing.

Might be the first motoring case she's ever done.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Mapmaker
>>Ms Baird also said she had researched the penalties which could be imposed, which were
>>either between four and six penalty points, or a 28-day driving ban, and asked the
>>magistrates to impose the latter.

>>She was told that was not warranted.

>>Baird also said three of the seven existing penalty points on her licence expired on
>>Wednesday, but as they were current when she was caught speeding last August, they
>>took the total to a level that triggered an automatic six-month ban.

The magistrates must have loved the suggestion that they should be taken as complete idiots by giving her a 28 day ban - rather than the totting up to take her to a 6 month ban.

And no doubt her claim that the summons "never arrived" was in the hope that the subsequent court hearing would not be until after the old points had come off her licence so she would escape the ban.

And finally, having argued "hardship" etc. that would arise from a ban, why did she specifically request a 28 day ban.

I'm quite with AC that banning her for a bit of good progress making is somewhat OTT. However trying to take the mick out of the magistrates like that suggests to me that 7 days inside would be good for her.

Should have found herself a good Counsel.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - madf
As points are meant to teach better driving and a mending of ways, she obvioulsy has learned nothing.

Harsher lesson deserved..

And she's a lawyer so the sentence should be trebled.. (seriously) .. as she should be a law abiding citizen...
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - IJWS14
Case would see wide publicity

Totting so she has not learned her lesson.

Magistrates would take this into account.

Maybe this time she will

A bit like the recent case of policeman stopped onway to see sick child and comments about the policeman who stopped him - he was damned if he did and damned if he didnt!

And to those who say speeding is safe . . . . . . . . . . it is until you hit something and sooner or later they all do, hopefully harming themselves and not someone else.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Snakey
She got the punishment anyone else would have received (for a change) so that makes it fair in my eyes. She obviously thinks the laws don't apply to her, so now she has to take the punishment.

Problem is, as previously mentioned, the taxpayers will now foot the bill for this useless woman to be taxied about.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Dave_
>> to those who say speeding is safe . . . . . . . . . . it is until you hit something

I was driving behind a car a couple of weeks ago when an 11-year ran out into the road in front of it. Speed of both cars at start of emergency stop was <30mph, child was hit hard enough to bullseye the windscreen but not hard enough to break any bones or lose consciousness. Since seeing that incident I am even more acutely aware of my speed now, and so thankful that the car in front of me had not been speeding.

Once you've seen it happen, you'll think twice about driving too fast again.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Armel Coussine
>> thankful that the car in front of me had not been speeding.

Indeed. Who is to protect us from kamikaze nippers? I blame the parents.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - R.P.
To confirm my non-mimser tendencies, I am as I type waiting an NIP from the BiBs in West Mercia - mobile camera van - A5 towards the Welsh border, I was making progress in a gentlemanly manner when I saw him - he saw me I'm certain, but I think that tucking in in front of atruck stopped him getting my number plate, next few days will tell. It'll be a fair cop when it comes and quiet guilty plea.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Zero
I made a bit of a miscalculation on the M25 Clockwise on Wednesday. Thought I had passed the last set of SPECS in the roadworks, so was making 70 mph progress in a 50.

I think I managed to tuck the lancer alongside and hide behind a curtainsider as we passed the last gatso measurement point.
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Old Navy
>>70 mph progress in a 50.
>>
Don't worry Zero, no one would believe a Lancer could go that fast, It would be put down to a system defect. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 24 Jun 10 at 20:16
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Alastairw
I noticed one of the excuses was she had to drive to deliver 'papers'. Has she not heard of the post office? Even a courier if it was really urgent.
A,
yes I noticed that the papers would "have to go by taxi" if she could not deliver them herself. So detatched from the real world. You and I would use the Post Office. OK, FedEx them and hang the expense.

JH
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Mapmaker
>> You and I would use
>> the Post Office. OK, FedEx them and hang the expense.

You might be surprised to find that a courier can be cheaper than the post office. And they'll come to your front door.

£5.95 +VAT for up to 25kg, delivery within the UK within 3 days.

[/public service announcement]
M, I have no issue with a courier, such as Fedex. But she specifically said "taxi". Sounds expensive to me. Especially as she used it as a veiled threat; "ban me and it'll cost the taxpayer".

Anyway it's, what, 6 weeks? since the election. Isn't it time she finished handing over to her successor?

This is the same lady incidentally who became embroiled in a "verbal assault" on a member of the public at a main line railway station recently

JH
 Ex-MP banned, check out the excuses. - Kevin
>Having said that, people who know her better than me, speak well of Ms Baird and the way
>she went about representing Redcar.

I suppose that's why she lost her seat by the largest vote swing in the last election (over 20% to LibDem).

>This is the same lady incidentally who became embroiled in a "verbal assault" on a member of the public..

In 2009, as Solicitor General, she referred the case of Phillipa Curtis to The Court of Appeal because she considered a 21 month jail sentence as "unduly lenient". Curtis had driven into the back of a broken down car killing the occupant and was convicted of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. Evidence showed that she had been texting on her mobile while driving but had not been texting at the time of the collision. There was an unread text message on her phone timestamped a few minutes earlier.

About a month later, Mrs. Baird posted a comment on a blogsite trying to justify the release of Lord Ahmed by The Court of Appeal after serving just 16 days of a 12 week jail sentence after committing an almost identical offence. Lord Ahmed had driven into a stationary vehicle on the M1 killing it's driver. He admitted that he had been texting on his mobile two minutes before the collision but was only charged with Dangerous Driving.

Vera Baird is a perfect example of the self-serving arrogant f-wits who dominated the last Govt. It is hugely satisfying that the Magistrates spelled out to her that she's just a prole like the rest of us now. Let's hope the rest of 'em take notice.

Kevin...
Latest Forum Posts