Motoring Discussion > Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 17

Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - SteelSpark
tinyurl.com/24zxuwu

Tragic, but I wonder what happened. It seems the car he hit was also been driven by a test driver, so I guess it would probably have been a closed road.

I guess the details will come out in time.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Skoda
:-(
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Armel Coussine
Poor chap of course, untimely no doubt, but one is tempted to say: That's test driving for you.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - rtj70
Terrible accident. But one question it raised for me.... damage and injury in the Lexus worse.... so the £300k+ car not as good as the BMW from a crash point of view??? Head on collision and all.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Auntie Lockbrakes
Are they sure it wasn't brake failure.....
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Cliff Pope
I thought they used crash dummies, not real people?
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Bellboy
looking at the impact damage i would suggest one of the cars had full airbag and sidebag protection and one didnt
the crash also looks fairly slow speed so maybe someone wasnt wearing a safety belt?
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Zero
Looking at the cars that looks worse than NCAP 40 mph offset damage, I would say thats fairly high speed.

If its a closed road test track head on crash, there are some questions to be rasied about management and procedure at the site.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - R.P.
Says it was on Highway 410 which suggests a public road - there is a 410 which seems south of the circuit - don't know enough about the area though.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - FotheringtonTomas
"Reports say he veered into oncoming traffic" which suggests a normal road.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - movilogo
... and how exactly he died??

I had very similar head on crash (which I reported here earlier) and survived without any broken bones! If the occupants were wearing seatbelt and airbags worked fine, there should be only minor injury.

The lethal effect of head on collission happens as body organs comes to a rapid deceleration in an instant. The seat belts and crumple zone aids to reduce the impact.

A very sad news though.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - R.P.
Nothing to say he was killed by the collision......(not wanting to speculate etc)
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Tooslow
"he veered into oncoming traffic and collided head-on". Not wanting to dwell on his age (67) but I wonder if he could have had a heart attack or similar? Poor devil.

JH
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Zero
Ah. possibly fugu fish.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Bagpuss
According to the local press the accident happened on the L94 which is a normal road a few kilometers from the Nuerburgring in a place called Boos. The Lexus was a one off prototype and the BMW was a production car filled with prototype electronics and measuring devices. The fact that the BMW drivers were also test drivers was a coincidence, but also indicative of how much testing the car manufacturers undertake at the 'Ring. The lexus driver had to be cut out of the car and was dead at the scene, the occupants of the BMW survived, but the passenger is in a critical condition. All the occupants were wearing not only safety belts but also crash helmets. Noone (yet) knows why the Lexus was on the wrong side of the road.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - jc2
Japan does drive on the left.
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Mapmaker
I know Japan reveres older people, but 67 is quite old for a test pilot, isn't it?
 Toyota's chief test driver killed in crash - Snakey
I didn't think the damage on the cars looked that bad. Not something I'd want to experience but both cars seemed in excellent structural shape?
Latest Forum Posts