Motoring Discussion > Never wash your car... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 18

Never wash your car... - Mapmaker
It really needed it; still had plenty of last winter's mud on it, with a good coating of Saharan dust; I was ashamed to be seen in it.

So I paid a tenner to the local Romanians. And after they'd cleaned it very beautifully it I was horrified to see a nasty scratch along the skirt (?) below the doors on the driver's side.

Wonder how long that's been there. Am somewhat miffed. Perhaps I'll talk to Dulwich's mobile repair man.
 Never wash your car... - BobbyG
This is why I never buy into the theory of trading your car in all nice and shiny - that lets the salesman see all its faults!
Better with a nice coating of dirt (unless you are sure the bodywork is fine)
 Never wash your car... - Bill Payer
>> This is why I never buy into the theory of trading your car in all
>> nice and shiny - that lets the salesman see all its faults!
>> Better with a nice coating of dirt (unless you are sure the bodywork is fine)
>>
I was refused a p/x valuation on a car because it was wet.
 Never wash your car... - Cockle
>> So I paid a tenner to the local Romanians.
>>

Your Romanians are dear, I'll stick to my local Poles, £6 a pop.
 Never wash your car... - Ted

A fiver here Cockle....Worth the trip up to save a quid ? Don't know where they hail from. Asian boss is the only one who speaks English !
 Never wash your car... - Runfer D'Hills
Tee hee, I could never bring myself to pay someone to wash my car. I could easily afford it at present but I am not mentally so far removed from the days when I really couldn't have. Some might say it's depriving those who need it of an income but it would just feel wrong somehow.

I don't do it as often as the car deserves but when I do it gets done properly.

Anyway, anything which forces you out into the fresh air and makes you move about a bit is in some way doing you good.

Hand washing your car has always struck me as a good way of keeping an eye on its external well being anyway. It makes you look at the tyres for example, test the integrity of the trim, inspect the condition of wiper blades, the state of number plates, notice any cracks in lenses and indeed alerts you to any scratches or dings.

I wouldn't go so far as to categorise it as a leisure activity but it can be quite satisfying.

Having said that, there's a guy who lives across the road from my in laws who takes it to extremes. Even to the point of removing each wheel every weekend so he can clean their inside surfaces. Detailing I think he calls it.

Bonkers is my description.

;-)
Edit to above - in reference to nothing really, I have noticed that there seems to be a very high percentage of Vauxhall Vectra owners who must spend a lot of time and effort keeping their cars clean.

Make a point of checking that theory. You may well be astonished. It must be part of the same chaos effect which increases the proportion of Corsa drivers with sticky out ears.

Trust me that second one is true too.
 Never wash your car... - bathtub tom
They must think we're rich round here:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.153837,-0.464547,3a,75y,41.45h,72.22t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sb7ru8di-DCzrwn3m8wjz1A!2e0?hl=en
 Never wash your car... - No FM2R
I like washing my car, mostly when its really dirty. I can never quite see the point of washing it when its "clean enough", but when its positively embarrassing, I rather enjoy it. And tend to do it quite thoroughly.
 Never wash your car... - Dave_
Everything Humph said.

In days gone by I used to wash my car far more often than it needed, just to get an hour's respite from the war department.
 Never wash your car... - Ambo
I urge her to keep the glass clean but otherwise rely on the free wash that comes with annual service.
 Never wash your car... - Alastairw
I like to think a layer of grime protects the paint.
I cannot justify spending money on having somebody else clean it. I sort of enjoy cleaning the car in a twice-a-year way.

But where I live, it's not possible to get a hosepipe out and clean it on the street. So I get to watch somebody else doing it. The £10 is for inside and outside, BTW (£5 for outside only); is your £6?
I know I'm in severe danger here of compounding the myth of Scots being tight but I promise this is not a tale. My friend who lives in a flat in Edinburgh's New Town area waits until it's howling down with rain to go downstairs with a bucket of soapy water to wash his car on the street, using the rain to rinse it off rather than pay for his car to be washed.

He always was the first through the pub door but last to get to the bar mind you.

Glaswegian you see, more or less counts as an illegal immigrant in Edinburgh.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 18:56
 Never wash your car... - Rudedog
I found a dirty car stops people sliding down the side with their riveted jeans when in the supermarket carpark.
Studded handbags problematic in that respect too Rudedog.
 Never wash your car... - Kevin
>Studded handbags problematic in that respect too Rudedog.

Real scotchmen don't carry handbags Humph.

They carry their lipstick in that sporran thingy at the front of their skirt.

;-)
 Never wash your car... - Victorbox
>> So I paid a tenner to the local Romanians. And after they'd cleaned it very
>> beautifully it I was horrified to see a nasty scratch along the skirt (?) below
>> the doors on the driver's side.

Perhaps the scratch was added by the dirt from the car the Romanians washed just before yours carefully embedded in the sponge or wash mitt they drop on the ground between washes?
>>Perhaps the scratch was added by the dirt from the car the Romanians washed

No. I might stick a photograph up. The metal has been bent at 10" intervals in three or four places.

Humph, I've been known to go out in the rain in like fashion...
Latest Forum Posts