Motoring Discussion > New car for the boss Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 5

New car for the boss - Manatee
My search for a Roomster for my aunt and uncle is ongoing. We were offered a 2013 63 plate Roomster 1.2 TSI SE DSG for £11k, with only 2000m, but that sold before I got there.

Meanwhile, they offered me a new pre-reg (30 May 2014) 1.2 TSI Scout DSG for £12k, so I have bought it for the boss. My uncle would possibly have taken it, but it doesn't have parking sensors and I am trying to spend less of his money, not more, so we'll wait for a suitable nearly-new to come up.

TBH the SE is probably a better choice than the Scout for most people - the Scout is dearer at £16.7k OTR, list price, but loses the parking sensors, the panoramic roof, and rear electric windows. It gains rear discs instead of drums, 16" wheels instead of 15", tyre pressure monitoring, foglights, roof rails.

DTD price quoted is over £15k. A further £3000 off seems adequate compensation for the extra owner on the V5.

I have instinctive reservations about the DSG, but it performs amazingly well, and the 1.2TSI is very smooth, quiet and torquey (maximum torque from 1500rpm - forced induction rules). Changes are pretty well imperceptible. I have taken a view that I have to accept a certain amount of new technology, and it has a warranty! At least it has a proper handbrake.

Driving position is highly adjustable, with seat height and steering wheel reach and rake adjustments, so I expect no trouble there (she wasn't with me when I called at the dealer in South Yorks on the way back from Jockland).

Steering felt a bit slow, but I had been driving the MX5 for 5 days so I put it down to that.

Interior space is amazing, loads of rear leg room and top hat clearance.

Pick up on Saturday.

New car for the boss - Runfer D'Hills
I'm more than sure it is lovely Manatee and you are a very kind man to buy your wife a new car.

I am though just trying to picture my wife's reaction if I unilaterally bought her a Roomster....

;-p
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 19:29
 New car for the boss - Westpig
>> I am though just trying to picture my wife's reaction if I unilaterally bought her
>> a Roomster....

My Ubergruppenfuhrer won't let me sell hers.

Now that I'm in the Trade, I thought I'd get shot of hers for Retail money and bung her in whatever was decent that came along... and upgrade a bit without spending any more money .... and it wasn't as if I was trying to swap it for something awful, an Audi A4 Avant S Line, high spec, she took it for a drive and declared 'no'.

She absolutely won't have it, likes the old one too much.

The only way it'll happen is when we can afford a Sportbrake ... and they are holding their money too well at the moment.
I did actually ask her if she wanted one this time!

I bought the Civic as a surprise in 2002. Mixed reaction then; didn't want an auto (grew to love it so that's OK) or a dark metallic green one (still hasn't really forgiven that).

It was also a bargain though, and being Yorkshire born and bred she could see the sense in it;)

New car for the boss - JohnM{P}
Hope the Roomster is still impressing you; my 2007 1.9 Tdi Scout will pass the 100k milestone tomorrow...

In case you were not aware, there is a Skoda aftermarket flexible cover available to fill the annoying gap between the parcel shelf and the back of the seats. About £30, part DMK770005.
Yes, it is a very capable car.

Thanks for the tip on the luggage cover.
Latest Forum Posts