Motoring Discussion > Braking news Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 21

Braking news - Runfer D'Hills
The Merc is in today for its 90 something thousand mile service. It has never had replacement brake pads or discs yet from new so I asked them to check those especially.

I've just had a call from the service manager to say 'they are 70 / 80% worn sir but we don't think they need to be changed just yet. We'll make a note on your file to check and probably change them at the next service. No other issues sir, it'll be ready shortly, when would it be convenient for our driver to drop it off?'

Gotta love dem Germans...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 13:31
 Braking news - Crankcase
You've reminded me, thank you.

At my last Prius service (90k) they said I'd possibly need to replace pads/discs at the next service. Nothing to brakes has been done from new.

Just looked up the Toyota fixed price for the job - going to cost me £430 all in for the job if it's all four wheels and discs are required as well as pads.

I don't know how that compares to your Merc, but I suspect I might be typing "Gotta love dem Japanese..."
Bombed our chip shops though. Dem Germans.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 14:18
 Braking news - Westpig
Is it normal for my 84,000 mile 1999 Jag S Type to still be on the original exhaust?
 Braking news - Robin O'Reliant
My 70,000 mile Astra is still on the original exhaust.

It's got a hole on the back box and the baffles have disintegrated.
 Braking news - henry k
My daughters Jan 2000 120K Yaris is on its original exhaust but it has just got a hole in, I think, the back box.
Two pairs of anti roll bar links, an oxygen sensor and this year the first a bulb replaced which was on the number plate.
One set of disks and a battery since 60K when she bought it. heap motoring ?
 Braking news - Fenlander
The Alfa exhaust was all original at 162,000mls. Sadly the BMW will need a section soon but only because the previous owned ignored the past two MOT advisory sheets mentioning a broken bracket near the gearbox.
 Braking news - Fenlander
And ref the braking... I noticed when I bought the 525 its discs showed the character of a low speed low mileage car where there were light "corrosion" traces of the pad shape in multiple places around the discs front and rear.

Pleased to say I have the fronts polished to shiny silver, rears nearly there too.
Been flickering your chirps a bit then?
 Braking news - Fenlander
I might have explored all sides of the envelope... and lit a few lights.
You had The Seekers on too then?

;-)
 Braking news - Armel Coussine
The fine coating of rust left by overnight dew is gone in a moment and you can hardly hear it. A car driven off a streaming wet motorway and parked for a week will let you know all about it with a horrible scraping noise and poor initial braking.

Any damp on the pads will make a mark on the discs overnight. If it's left a day or two braking will be audible and will feel uneven, with a tremor, as if the discs were warped, until they have been thoroughly cleaned by repeated applications.

Anyway that's what it's been like in my last two cars, when there wasn't a seized caliper cooking the grease in the wheel bearing and trying to kill us all... Perhaps I should invest in some sort of Daimler-Benz product...
Your car is at least distantly related though isn't it? Seem to think Chrysler had some kind of commercial affair with Daimler Benz. Pretty sure the PT Cruiser diesels have Merc engines as do the diesel 300Cs.

Big things those, if at least slightly thuggish in a way. It might be necessary to wear a heavy gold identity bracelet while driving one to get the right sort of look.
 Braking news - mikeyb
>> Your car is at least distantly related though isn't it? Seem to think Chrysler had
>> some kind of commercial affair with Daimler Benz. Pretty sure the PT Cruiser diesels have
>> Merc engines as do the diesel 300Cs.

Bit more than a commercial affair. They merged in 1998, although in reality it was a Daimler takeover. In 2007 they offloaded Chrysler
I'd forgotten the dates Mikey, indeed I'd forgotten it was a full blown merger too. Interesting coincidence that there seems to be a perceived upturn in Mercedes quality dating from around the end of that period.
 Braking news - No FM2R
>>Seem to think Chrysler had some kind of commercial affair with Daimler Benz.

Certainly did, I worked in Chicago on the merger. It wasn't a very good idea though, especially since at around the time I was also working on a Chrysler/BMW joint venture in Curitiba in Brazil.

As I recall at the time of the merger Chrysler was valued around $35bn but eventually sold off for around $7bn.

ooops.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 4 Jun 14 at 19:05
 Braking news - Armel Coussine
>> As I recall at the time of the merger Chrysler was valued around $35bn but eventually sold off for around $7bn.

Nothing in this world outclasses (for sheer thuggish cretinism) the behaviour of capitalists, especially really big capitalists.

They're an alien species. We're ruled by elements that might as well be Martians, bad cess to them (don't hit me, don't hit me!). Frankly, er.
 Braking news - Fenlander
>>>You had The Seekers on too then?

No music.... I was concentrating. I'd switched off the flicker software so was listening for the much anticipated wheeeeeeee as the rear overtook me.... didn't get that bad actually but remember I'm scarred from a transverse sprung Herald on 5.20 crossplies as a first car.

I still remember grinding off speed on a Cotswold stone wall facing the wrong way down the then notorious Fish Hill on the Cotswold ridge.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 5 Jun 14 at 11:20
 Braking news - VxFan
>> My 70,000 mile Astra is still on the original exhaust.
>> It's got a hole on the back box

If it's an Astra-G, then the backboxes are double skinned, and it's quite common for the outer skin to become peppered with holes.
 Braking news - spamcan61
>> >> My 70,000 mile Astra is still on the original exhaust.
>> >> It's got a hole on the back box
>>
>> If it's an Astra-G, then the backboxes are double skinned, and it's quite common for
>> the outer skin to become peppered with holes.
>>

Ah right, that'll be why when the outer skin of the back box on my 106,000 mile 53 plate Astra peeled of the other week I didn't end up with a leaky exhaust.
 Braking news - Mike Hannon
When I sold my Vtec Prelude, of fond memory, last year - 1998 and 120k miles - it had its four original discs, back pads, exhaust system, shocks, etc, etc. The discs were in better nick than the ones on the 55k miles Accord we have now. The battery had only just been changed for the first time, too. The only major item on the way out was the plastic radiator.
 Braking news - Fenlander
Funnily enough I looked after a Prelude from the late 90s (I think) for a friend. That had covered about 50k at the time and I commented to him the quality of the discs was better than any car I'd worked on to date. No rust on the hub or edge areas and evenly worn surfaces.
Latest Forum Posts