Motoring Discussion > ebay sourced workshop manual CD Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 11

ebay sourced workshop manual CD - bathtub tom
It looks like I'll have to start stripping my engine down and having got a copy of Haynes that leaves me less than impressed, I thought I'd invest three quid in another manual.

I'm thinking it could be a way of introducing malware onto my PC.

Any suggestions as to how I can protect myself?
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - Focusless
Do you know if the manual is just a big PDF file, or is it an application that has to run to show you the pages?

If the former, you should be ok - just disable 'autoplay' so if the CD does contain some sort of virus, it won't install when you load the CD, and use Explorer to find and open the PDF on the CD.

But if the manual is an application, it's a bit more tricky - you've got to let it run, so not much you can do apart from ensuring all your anti-virus is up to date.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - Fenlander
I've had several of these for all sorts of devices, both the pdf file type and those that have their own program. Never had an issue with them and their use is widespread these days.
>> But if the manual is an application, it's a bit more tricky - you've got
>> to let it run, so not much you can do

But still disable autoplay and find/run the application yourself using Explorer.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - Fursty Ferret
Run it in a sandbox program (ie, it's isolated from the rest of the system).

www.sandboxie.com/
Wasn't aware of that FF, looks useful.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - bathtub tom
Thanks FF, that looks ideal.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - Dulwich Estate
Is it just me or are modern Haynes manuals pretty poor on detail these days. I did a lot of car work in the old days and found them quite good - now much of the quality of information is matched by the thin recycled toilet paper like pages.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - No FM2R
When I bought my BMW it came with a Haynes. Or perhaps it was the V70. Nonetheless given that both needed serious attending to I was relieved.

It was very complicated to read (by virtue of its layout) and not at all useful.

I was reminded that when I used Haynes previously their proud boast was that the manual was written by stripping down and rebuilding a car in real life.

I suspect that is not true of the modern manuals. They're more like owners handbooks.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 6 Jun 14 at 19:29
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - Runfer D'Hills
I still have a Haynes for the Mk 1 Panda. Goodness knows why. I think maybe I'm quite proud of the fact that I can just about understand it.

They were not complex vehicles.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - No FM2R
Haynes manuals for me arrived at that point when I was poor enough to need to repair pieces of crap on the road, but had enough money to afford what were, for me, b***** expensive books.

So the first Haynes manual I had was for my Lancia Beta HPE (Hi Al).

It was the beginning of [very little] spare money. I bought a car that I wanted, rather than just because it was cheap, and a book because it would make my life easier.

I know its sad, but I can remember exactly the details of that day and my pride and happiness.
 ebay sourced workshop manual CD - spamcan61

>>
>> I suspect that is not true of the modern manuals. They're more like owners handbooks.
>>

That's the way I look at it, useful now that most owners handbooks seem to be mostly full of legal disclaimers and lectures on driving economically.

Can't blames Haynes really, on the one hand cars are becoming more and more complex to service/repair (albeit at longer intervals) and on the other the number of people prepared to spend their weekends getting oily taking their car to bits is falling.
Latest Forum Posts