Motoring Discussion > MINI - 5 door Mini Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 23

MINI - 5 door Mini - TheManWithNoName
Why?

tinyurl.com/lmty3w6
 MINI - 5 door Mini - VxFan
>> Why?

To appeal to people who want a 5 door car.
More practical.
To have a fuller range of cars (see first comment)
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Runfer D'Hills
I quite like that. Bigger boot y'see. I like bigger boots.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Fenlander
Sorry... did you say big boots?
 MINI - 5 door Mini - No FM2R
I like big boots and I cannot lie.
You lot are rather disturbingly starting to make me think of Benny Hill's character in the original "Italian Job"

;-)
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Boxsterboy
Now you're talking! Proper Minis, they were!

This new one should be called Maxi. Don't like it at all.
Bit tempting to make a 'blow the doors off' remark at this stage. But I'll refrain...
 MINI - 5 door Mini - rtj70
Doesn't quite look right as a Mini with 5 doors. Maybe they should have stuck with suicide doors but had one on each side? That way it could look more like it should.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - bathtub tom
Didn't Innocenti do something similar with the real mini?

Or was that just 3-door?
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Meldrew
Wiki says "The Innocenti Mini is an automobile introduced by Innocenti in 1974. The vehicle was a rebodied, three-door hatchback version of the Mini, styled by Bertone. A five-door prototype was developed around 1980, but was never put into production. After having been sold to de Tomaso in 1976, the Innocenti Mini ended up being powered by Daihatsu-sourced three-cylinder engines and continued in production in incrementally updated forms until 1993."
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Avant
It'll sell.

It's quite difficult to see the point of having only two side doors, unless you actually want a coupé. Cars have got wider, but parking spaces and garages haven't, and those wide doors can be a real pain. Childproof locks mean that children are safe in the back of any car, and a 4/5 door car makes lifting a baby or toddler in much easier.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - WillDeBeest
Rear doors are most useful if there is somewhere to sit when you get through them. The three-door Mini is effectively a two-seater with no boot. Is this new version longer to create some space in the back?
 MINI - 5 door Mini - rtj70
>> Is this new version longer to create some space in the back?

Yes
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Harleyman
Reminds me of the FIAT 500L, and it's just about as appealing.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Robin O'Reliant
It's a four door, not a five. A door is something a person uses to enter or exit something, that lift up thing in the back is not a door.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - bathtub tom
And a rear wash/wipe isn't a bidet.

But it's a succinct way of describing it.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Boxsterboy
>> It's a four door, not a five. A door is something a person uses to
>> enter or exit something, that lift up thing in the back is not a door.
>>

Well on that basis, it's a two door as I know of many people (including more than one sister-in-law) who could never use those tiny rear doors :-)
 MINI - 5 door Mini - movilogo
If you discover that other people parked so close to your car that you can't open doors, you can technically enter via rear hatch. So it is a door.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Robin O'Reliant
If I forget my keys I can technically get into my house through the window, but it still ain't a door.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - No FM2R
If you are thirsty you can drink a Budweiser, but it still ain't a beer.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - VxFan
>> If I forget my keys I can technically get into my house through the window, but it still ain't a door.

So is a patio door really a patio window then?
 MINI - 5 door Mini - Alanovich
I was pulled out of the tailgate of an upside down MG Metro once. I say it's a door.
 MINI - 5 door Mini - WillDeBeest
A door is something a person uses to enter or exit something...

Never seen the Sopranos, then? By that definition, even the saloons in that had five doors. And on the other hand, what do you call the flappy panels on the front of your kitchen cupboards?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 9 Jun 14 at 17:35
Latest Forum Posts